Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Raffles Class to be renamed Business Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold

Besides the new products, customers travelling in First and Business Class will also indulge in inflight dining specially designed by the Airline’s panel of internationally renowned chefs, state-of-the-art inflight entertainment, and exclusive Singapore Airlines cabin service
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...se/NE_5306.jsp

Part of the nearly 200 designer items include luxurious bedding items such as larger cushions and down-filled pillows in the premium cabins and new blankets in Economy Class. In addition, First Class customers can drift into a restful slumber with luxurious duvets, while Business Class customers will be warm and cozy with a new light duvet.
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...se/NE_5406.jsp

Also on my recent raffles flights the shaving kits were named Business Class which today I confirmed with another FT'er was not always the case.

So it seems Raffles could be going.... going.... gone?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:52 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Seems to be true...its being discussed on another forum.

Wait till the 17th for the official announcement to see if SQ is really getting rid of a strong brand.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would not be cool. I always liked the name "Raffles!"
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
That would not be cool. I always liked the name "Raffles!"
I always found the name "Raffles Class" to be extremely poncy.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by Savage25
Seems to be true...its being discussed on another forum.

Wait till the 17th for the official announcement to see if SQ is really getting rid of a strong brand.
Another forum ? ...... If this happens I won't be able to misspell it as "Ruffles Class" anymore.......
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Wow that's rather unfortunate if it's true. The CEO really doesn't like those names, does he?

Jubilee GONE. MegaTop GONE. Celestar GONE. LeaderShip GONE. Raffles Class (MAYBE GONE)?

I honestly love Raffles Class. It's classy and it has history too. Looks like I'd better keep all my old BPs then. And the palm tree icon is just that: iconic.

Are they going to get rid of the KrisWorld name too? Probably name it "Onboard Entertainment System." BLEH.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:31 am

I feel so sad that SIA want to abolish the Raffles class name, it is one of the classiest business class name out there. It is often associated with the SIA's epitome of luxury and grace. Wat's wrong with SIA these days? These names are the ones that differentiate SIA with other airlines.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I've just had a quick look round the SIA website, I can't find a single reference to Raffles Class, just Business Class. It seems like a strong brand has gone in favour of a term commonly used by almost all other airlines. A very strange move IMO and not one I welcome.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 2:17 am
Nik

Thumbs down

Not a smart move!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 3:18 am

Not the wisest move in the world to put it lightly.

LHRpete is right. The website evidently has adopted the new changes.

At least we can take heart that:

1) The URL still says Raffles http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...lass/index.jsp

2) The "Business Class SpaceBed" demonstration minisite still displays the Raffles Class logo and has Raffles in its URL http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U.../vr_demo1.html

3) And some Book the Cook URLs too

Old Oct 15, 2006, 4:10 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
I couldn't believe it when I read the OP, but after checking out the website for myself I am stunned. For the life of me, I cannot understand why an iconic brand name would be shafted in favour of a generic description. I liken it to changing the Apple iPod to the Apple Portable Digital Music Player.

As has been mentioned above, the historical links with Singapore's past in addition to the plethora of positive memories many of us have associated with the brand make this an incomprehensible decision.

For me, I will always remember flying SYD-SIN on the MEGATOP to visit family, sometimes lucky enough to fly Raffles Class.

Raffles Class, no ordinary Business Class!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 4:51 am
BigSeat

Thumbs up Answer to no more Raffles Class Thread...

Reason being the name Raffles Class will be used to classify their soon to be released Business Class Product on the 773 ER and for the A380 in the not too distant future.

More of a plan to change perception and mindset prior to launch as Raffles Class in future will be like a Platinum Business Class similar to EL AL.

Thus currently and after the new products are launched..."Business" will be used for Current 747 772s and 772 ER and the normal 773.

Cheers

No worries ! ^

Old Oct 15, 2006, 7:06 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is that how they want to make those "expected" mileage redemption increses stick? Hmm from a branding perspective I find it a bit shaky. Just to be able to designate the new Biz cabin over the "old" one - not solid footing. Oh well, we will see.

If FRA gets those new A/C at some point and they really bump up redemption rates then I guess one will have to start looking for "old & ordinary" biz seats on the 747's via other routes. Oh well, worst case one has to redeem on TG via BKK. I know I will do so.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 8:19 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
No more Raffles class SQ won't be the same anymore
Old Oct 15, 2006, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
So existing fleet types will not receive the updated cabins anytime soon then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.