Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

minimum connecting time at Changi Airport

minimum connecting time at Changi Airport

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by gilly 16
Can anyone tell me at which terminal do SQ317 and 319 usually arrive at SIN? Trying to decide which combination of flights to pick to SYD, and leaning towards one of these two. We’d like to have a bit of time to look around at Changi and stretch our legs before the next 8 hours!

Also is the 777 to SYD one of the decent ones? Travelling J.

Many thanks.
Generally both of these flights park at Terminal 3;
You can work it out by using the Changi arrivals page
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:02 am

Thank you.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Check in for all flights to/from Australia and Europe is in Terminal 3. Departure will generally be from Terminal 3 - but at peak times a small number of flights could depart from one of the adjacent gates in Terminal 1 (such as C1 and C20), but as Terminal 3 and Terminal 1 are connected in a continuous manner, its not a big deal. As for arrivals, most such flights arrive in T3, but some do arrive in T2 depending on time and day (and very rarely in T1 but staff will be there to direct people to the correct terminal where baggage can be collected if this happens).
Many thanks. Transfer should be fairly easy then, May even have time to visit the lounge!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Wifie
May even have time to visit the lounge!
That may depend on your personality Note that SQ gates at SIN close strictly 10 mins before departure, and not when boarding starts, which can be quite early! I do acknowledge many people do prefer to get to the gate for the start of boarding, but if you do want to enjoy a visit to the lounge, just aim to be at the gate 20-25 mins before departure time and it will be fine, that gives you 10-15 mins up your sleeve!
Wifie likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:54 pm

That may depend on your personality Note that SQ gates at SIN close strictly 10 mins before departure, and not when boarding starts, which can be quite early! I do acknowledge many people do prefer to get to the gate for the start of boarding, but if you do want to enjoy a visit to the lounge, just aim to be at the gate 20-25 mins before departure time and it will be fine, that gives you 10-15 mins up your sleeve!
And some gates can be quite a walk away (even with travellators) so try to work out how far you have walk, or else it might be run!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
And some gates can be quite a walk away (even with travellators) so try to work out how far you have walk, or else it might be run!
Thanks for all the info. Just one more question please. I understand that security screening is done at each boarding gate. In general, how much time should we also allow to get through screening when the boarding gate is announced? We are on a SIN>MEL flight if that helps?
Many thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all the info. Just one more question please. I understand that security screening is done at each boarding gate. In general, how much time should we also allow to get through screening when the boarding gate is announced? We are on a SIN>MEL flight if that helps?
Many thanks.
10 minutes for security maybe? I generally get to gate 30 mins before departure and often walk straight through. A few gates share screening so cannot always assume everyone ahead of you is on the same plane, though It's pretty obvious where that is the case.
In general it is a much less stressful process than the big US or European airports.
Wifie likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:06 pm

Many thanks.
Yes there is security screening at each boarding gate. However, with one exception there is no need to worry about how long you will take to get through. The closer to departure time, the shorter the line will be, to the point that if you inbound flight is really late, and you only get the gate 12 mins before the flight leaves, I expect there will be no-one at security (except others from your late flight) and you will get through in one minute. With SQ flights, if you reach gate 30 mins before it might take 5 minutes. If you reach gate an hour before it might take 10 minutes or so (also note they don't make boarding calls in lounge, but the boarding status on displays will progress from GATE OPEN to BOARDING to FINAL CALL to GATE CLOSING - the latter two are when you need to make a move).

The only exception is if you happen to go from a shared gate area and there are longer queues for later flights. If this is the case and it is <20 mins to departure then mention this to security staff (that you're on the flight departing in 15 mins, not the one departing in an hour!) then they will get you through ahead of the others.
Kiwi Flyer and Wifie like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:26 am

Yes there is security screening at each boarding gate. However, with one exception there is no need to worry about how long you will take to get through. The closer to departure time, the shorter the line will be, to the point that if you inbound flight is really late, and you only get the gate 12 mins before the flight leaves, I expect there will be no-one at security (except others from your late flight) and you will get through in one minute. With SQ flights, if you reach gate 30 mins before it might take 5 minutes. If you reach gate an hour before it might take 10 minutes or so (also note they don't make boarding calls in lounge, but the boarding status on displays will progress from GATE OPEN to BOARDING to FINAL CALL to GATE CLOSING - the latter two are when you need to make a move).

The only exception is if you happen to go from a shared gate area and there are longer queues for later flights. If this is the case and it is <20 mins to departure then mention this to security staff (that you're on the flight departing in 15 mins, not the one departing in an hour!) then they will get you through ahead of the others.
Originally Posted by w4rd
10 minutes for security maybe? I generally get to gate 30 mins before departure and often walk straight through. A few gates share screening so cannot always assume everyone ahead of you is on the same plane, though It's pretty obvious where that is the case.
In general it is a much less stressful process than the big US or European airports.
I agree with both these assessments and would add, that if you are actually at security at the 10 min deadline, I have never ever been turned away.
Wifie likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I agree with both these assessments and would add, that if you are actually at security at the 10 min deadline, I have never ever been turned away.
Agree, nor have I at 10 mins.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:52 pm

I have a 55-minute connection at SIN on Monday. Normally I might be a little nervous about that but not lose sleep over it, but somehow, Singapore airlines is changing the take-off time of flight 31 SFO-SIN from 10:30am to 11:30am starting Sunday, when we depart, without changing the landing time!! I called them, and they said, Yes, we plan to have a flight time that is one hour shorter. Doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy :-(
Inbound flight is SQ31 landing at 7:10pm, outbound is SQ502 leaving at 8:05pm. I cannot find a gate number for recent flight 31s, but the terminal shows up as T3, the same as flight 502. How worried should we be? (We are flying on U and C tickets; I read somewhere that they will provide assistance at the game depending on the ticket code)

Thanks,
Reza
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by rtaheri
I have a 55-minute connection at SIN on Monday. Normally I might be a little nervous about that but not lose sleep over it, but somehow, Singapore airlines is changing the take-off time of flight 31 SFO-SIN from 10:30am to 11:30am starting Sunday, when we depart, without changing the landing time!! I called them, and they said, Yes, we plan to have a flight time that is one hour shorter. Doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy :-(
Inbound flight is SQ31 landing at 7:10pm, outbound is SQ502 leaving at 8:05pm. I cannot find a gate number for recent flight 31s, but the terminal shows up as T3, the same as flight 502. How worried should we be? (We are flying on U and C tickets; I read somewhere that they will provide assistance at the game depending on the ticket code)

Thanks,
Reza
Are both segments booked on the same ticket?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by chisquared
Are both segments booked on the same ticket?
Yes, same ticket. I write this as I sit on the plane. We are going to be at least 40 minutes late, and I will likely miss my connection. Fuming!!
I am hoping they will hold the next segment's plane for a few minutes seeing as it will land in Bangalore at 10pm, and probably not many passengers, if any, will connect onward
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by rtaheri
Yes, same ticket. I write this as I sit on the plane. We are going to be at least 40 minutes late, and I will likely miss my connection. Fuming!!
I am hoping they will hold the next segment's plane for a few minutes seeing as it will land in Bangalore at 10pm, and probably not many passengers, if any, will connect onward
SQ will take care of you if you miss your connection then, so at least you have that.

On a slightly more optimistic note, your flight to BLR is also departing out of T3, so you might have a reasonable chance of making your connection after all.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by chisquared
On a slightly more optimistic note, your flight to BLR is also departing out of T3, so you might have a reasonable chance of making your connection after all.
Both arrival and departure seem to be at A gates, so that's a positive. But OP'a inbound as ETA of 38 mins late right now, leaving 17 min connection. But SQ 37 from LAX also running similarly late, I wouldn't be surprised if they hold the BLR flight. Would expect both flights to have significant connecting traffic to India, IIRC they even have Indian option as standard option on the in flight menu.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.