Chicken Curry Peranakan

Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Chicken Curry Peranakan

I recently BTC for a F upcoming trip in Oct and booked this dish. On the description written on the SQ site, it only describes it as being served with bread rolls. Usually I would expect some steam rice to go along for some type of curry dishes and nearly all the restaurants that I've ordered curry dishes (Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian, Singaporean) all serve it with steam rice. Thus I'm wondering if SQ will accompany some rice into this BTC main course. Actually do they even include it and just didn't write it in the description or if they don't can I ask the crew to include some? For those who have BTC this dish in F care to comment as I've never chosen it before. Thanks.

BTW, spiciness will not be an issue at all. As a matter of fact, the spicier the better and if gets overly spicy for me to handle, I can always quench it with a glass of DOM.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:07 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
There is a BTC thread and you will see the pics in post #4. But as I recalled, there was a discussion about this particular dish a looooooooooong time ago. MovieMan might remember, pick up courtesy phone please.
Well, I am sure if you need rice to accompany the curry, you can tell the FA when she/he takes your order.
Enjoy your flight, once again!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Yes, I wrote about it being quite good some time ago. You might want to do a search. IIRC, it is served with rice.

I like spicy food as well, so it wasn't too spicy for me at all.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:48 pm

Here you go--it's in the original BTC thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=27
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:55 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Thank you, Sir SQ-SM. ^
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks CGK, MovieMan. ^ If steamed rice comes along for the dish in Raffles, then I assume it definately will be there for F. Personally, I just find it more appropriate to have steamed rice as oppose to bread for curry.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:38 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
It is served with rice and I have submitted a photo to paffendorf to add to the new BTC master list.

You get a bowl with the delicious curry with generous pieces of chicken and a separate place with nice steaming white rice. Bread rolls to accompany if you wish -- I used the bread to "clean the plate" a la francaise
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxury
You get a bowl with the delicious curry with generous pieces of chicken and a separate place with nice steaming white rice.
Yay! ^ Steamed rice is important to curry just as Yorkshire Pudding is important to Prime Rib.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:37 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by luxury
It is served with rice and I have submitted a photo to paffendorf to add to the new BTC master list.

You get a bowl with the delicious curry with generous pieces of chicken and a separate place with nice steaming white rice. Bread rolls to accompany if you wish -- I used the bread to "clean the plate" a la francaise
I was just wondering about that - wanted to BTK, but no time - flight is tonight to DEL in about 3.75 hours....
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:48 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
I've only had it in Raffles, and it is my favorite BTC dish. It does come with rice as others have said. Last time I had it, the spiciness was becoming noticeable. Could have been spicier for my taste. Then again, my idea of "spicy" is a dish that makes other people's eyes water at the other side of the restaurant just by catching a whiff of the smell.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:52 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
I've only had it in Raffles, and it is my favorite BTC dish. It does come with rice as others have said. Last time I had it, the spiciness was becoming noticeable. Could have been spicier for my taste. Then again, my idea of "spicy" is a dish that makes other people's eyes water at the other side of the restaurant just by catching a whiff of the smell.
Spicy = nice!! ^ ^

(if anyone is coming through BOM, you might want to try some Mangalore Chicken Curry that my maid makes (quite spicy)!
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:46 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
BTW, spiciness will not be an issue at all. As a matter of fact, the spicier the better and if gets overly spicy for me to handle, I can always quench it with a glass of DOM.
Ah, but isn't it a terrible waste of DOM to pair it with spicy curry?

Maybe better to drink it only after one is suitably tipsy on the Krug, by which point the quality of pairing may matter less...
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by DoctorWu
Ah, but isn't it a terrible waste of DOM to pair it with spicy curry?
I agree with you. Champagne to whet the palate; water or wine or both with the curry; then champagne at the very end of the meal to chill out and reflect upon the satisfying eating experience.

The curry gets a big ^ from me as well.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jjpb3
I agree with you. Champagne to whet the palate; water or wine or both with the curry; then champagne at the very end of the meal to chill out and reflect upon the satisfying eating experience.

The curry gets a big ^ from me as well.
I always thought the idea was to drink beer or a milk based drink (laasi, as opposed to Baileys...) with spicy food. Anything else (incl. water) causes the taste buds to dilate further, thereby increasing the spicy sensation even more...
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I always thought the idea was to drink beer or a milk based drink (laasi, as opposed to Baileys...) with spicy food. Anything else (incl. water) causes the taste buds to dilate further, thereby increasing the spicy sensation even more...
Beer works for me! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.