Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

New Internet Check In Feature: Self-Printed Boarding Pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P

From the SQ website:

Self-Printed Boarding Passes
What are Self-Printed Boarding Passes?
Singapore Airlines is pleased to present Self-Printed Boarding Passes. Now you can print your boarding pass after successfully performing Internet check-in. Once your check-in is confirmed, you will be given the option to print your boarding pass.

What do I need to print my Boarding Pass?
Please ensure that the following are in place:

You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader software. Click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader
Printer with minimum of 300dpi resolution
A4 or Legal Sized paper
Your pop-up blocker is disabled

Who can be issued Self-Printed Boarding Passes?
Currently, this service only applies to selected Singapore Airlines flights departing from Singapore. More destinations will be progressively added.

What are the benefits of having a Self-Printed Boarding Pass?
You will not have to queue to check-in and collect your boarding passes. There will be designated counters you can go to endorse your boarding pass and check-in your bags.

What must I do when I arrive at the airport?
Due to security requirements, we require that passengers proceed to designated counters for Boarding Pass endorsement and Baggage Check-in (for passengers with check-in Baggage)

If you are departing from Singapore, please proceed to Row 5 (for First and Raffles Class Passengers) or Row 9 (for Economy Class Passengers)

For all other Stations, please proceed to the respective Singapore Airlines Counter at the Airport.

What happens if my Self-Printed Boarding Pass is defective?
You will be re-issued a new boarding pass at the airport counter.

Will I be able to print Boarding Passes for codeshare flights?
Singapore Airlines has different codeshare arrangements with various airlines. In some cases, Singapore Airlines operates the codeshare flight and in other cases Singapore Airlines markets the codeshare flights operated by another airline. Internet Check-in can be initiated for codeshare flights operated by Singapore Airlines. It is also possible to check-in for selected connecting codeshare flights marketed by Singapore Airlines provided there is a preceding Singapore Airlines operated flight. Once Internet check-in is successful, you will be able to print your boarding passes.

How many flights will I be able to print my Boarding Passes for?
You will be able to print boarding passes for selected flights departing from Singapore in your booking that are checked-in using the Internet.

Am I able to print Boarding Passes for my travelling companions?
You can print Boarding Passes for your traveling companions if your travel companions are included in the same booking record as yours. Like Internet check-in, printing of Boarding Passes is limited to travel parties with a maximum size of 9.

What are the earliest and latest times for printing my boarding pass?
Like Internet check-in, boarding passes can be printed within 48 hours to 2 hours before flight departure.
Old May 1, 2006, 7:42 am

Can I change the colour of my boarding passes from Green to red?
Old May 1, 2006, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Errr
Boarding Pass endorsement
? So whats the point really? Even if you have hand luggage you cant just proceed through security.. Surely the time saving will be marginal..
Old May 1, 2006, 8:05 am

Hmm, nooooo - I collect my card BPs.

I hope they don't start eliminating human-operated airport check in counters or something like BD.
Old May 1, 2006, 8:19 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by simong
Errr ? So whats the point really? Even if you have hand luggage you cant just proceed through security.. Surely the time saving will be marginal..
I was thinking the same thing...
Old May 1, 2006, 9:14 am
jhm

Originally Posted by simong
Errr ? So whats the point really? Even if you have hand luggage you cant just proceed through security.. Surely the time saving will be marginal..
As far as you're concerned, I'd imagine that a self-printed boarding bass (like those on BA) have a bar code so they can swipe it. It might only save 30-45 seconds as far as you're concerned but for the check-in counter, the aggregate savings are presumably significant.

Unlike on SQ, the BA ones don't have to be endorsed (unless, I believe i read recently, for flights to the US ?) so you can indeed turn up at the airport and proceed straight to security if you have no luggage. Not sure why SQ have this requirement.
Old May 1, 2006, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
while its good that SQ has decided to allow self-printed boarding pass, i think we have to wait until someone reports on the experience.

Im a bit curious as to whether you still get a SQ paper boarding pass.

If you don't get a SQ boarding pass paper, then can that printed slip be used for the bparding pass privilege programme. I have used that privilege in the past and i was asked for the boarding pass slip.
Old May 1, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by trekkie
Im a bit curious as to whether you still get a SQ paper boarding pass.

If you don't get a SQ boarding pass paper, then can that printed slip be used for the bparding pass privilege programme. I have used that privilege in the past and i was asked for the boarding pass slip.
That's a good point, though if you are still issued an SQ boarding pass, what's the advantage of printing your own? I suppose vendors will need to accept an "endorsed" self-printed BP. I'm sure some initial confusion on this will be inevitable...
Old May 1, 2006, 11:20 am

I have a feeling that airlines/airports are on their way to adopt NZ's system of barcoded BPs. SQ and Changi Airport with their zeal for innovation might be heading down that path and the self-printable BPs are the first step (this rests on an assumption that these printed BPs are indeed barcoded - but otherwise I don't see how a piece of paper could be put through the existing machines).

Read somewhere that barcoded BPs were one of the ideas the IATA came up with to save cash (although I am not sure how cost savings are achieved). Instead of the existing system where you run your BP through a machine when you board the a/c, NZ's system involves the scanning of the barcoded BPs with a barcode reader. Well, on only a few flights anyway since most airports have yet to adopt the barcode system. I believe DJ has a similar system, only with typical LCC Safeway receipt-style BP.

What do people reckon?

Last edited by Keith009; May 1, 2006 at 11:23 am Reason: grammar
Old May 1, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Silver
It is indeed barcoded.
Old May 2, 2006, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Originally Posted by MovieMan
That's a good point, though if you are still issued an SQ boarding pass, what's the advantage of printing your own? I suppose vendors will need to accept an "endorsed" self-printed BP. I'm sure some initial confusion on this will be inevitable...
i would hate to fight tooth and nail with some of these singapore retailers who might refuse to honour the self-printed boarding pass.
Old May 2, 2006, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by MovieMan
I suppose vendors will need to accept an "endorsed" self-printed BP. I'm sure some initial confusion on this will be inevitable...
I agree there might be a period of confusion. But I also think SQ has thought about that and will have communicated to the Boarding Pass Privileges partners about this change. There are not that many outside Singapore, right? If the SPBPs are currently used for flights ex-SIN, then it's the partners in DPS, MNL and Australia that need to be informed. Perhaps that's why the endorsement is necessary?
Old May 6, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: BMI Gold, M&M Silver
I got the impression the other day when I was reading the SQ website that the option to print a boarding pass and use the seatmap feature to choose a a particular seat during internet check-in was only available if you booked your flight whilst logged onto the SQ site.

I rang reservations and they said not to worry, anyone flying with SQ can check-in online and select their seat and print a boarding pass.

I'm worried though as SQ reservations have given me false info in the past and strangely enough it's always someone with a Russian accent...?

Last edited by captainchaos; May 6, 2006 at 12:24 pm
Old May 6, 2006, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by captainchaos
I'm worried though as SQ reservations have given me false info in the past and strangely enough it's always someone with a Russian accent...?
No need to worry in this case. You just need the (SQ) booking ref and flight details to be able to check in online. I was able to OLCI, for example, with a BD award ticket which had been issued without prior contact between me and any part of SQ (website, reservations, etc.).
Old May 6, 2006, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Whilst the apparent time saving of printing out your own boarding pass may seem small, I think airlines need to do everything to save as much time as possible. The pending introduction of the A380 underscores the need to reduce turnaround times by any reasonable means.

Although this has not been tried before, what is to stop airlines from using re-usable cards with barcodes as boarding passes? From that, you could use FF cards with barcodes as your boarding pass and indeed proceed directly to the gate or the SKL. During the online check-in process, your passport number would be cross-checked against that of your FF account to ensure identity authenticity. You just swipe your card at the boarding gate, your details show up on the gate agents screen and they check it against your photographic ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.