Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

What's hott on my SQ flights in Raffles Class

What's hott on my SQ flights in Raffles Class

Old Apr 29, 06, 8:03 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Based on your FT posts, I had a feeling you weren't grounded in YVR at the time. And as the Governator would say, "I'll be back." Hopefully in June, and definitely look forward to meeting you!

P.S.: I did manage to have a fabulous traditional Japanese meal in YVR with luxury and his charming sister though.
For months now, I had been grounded...
June, yup I'll be here.
Old Apr 29, 06, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CGK
June, yup I'll be here.
As a student I'm used to being grounded 2-3 months at a time.
Old Apr 29, 06, 9:10 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by CGK
June, yup I'll be here.
Mea Culpa then!

Look forward to June.
Old May 1, 06, 1:00 pm

Programs: marriott platinum
Unhappy SQ Fra-JFK

April 28th last minute decision to fly to the states for a long weekend... Got the SQ ticket on the cheap 1,700 Euro in Business. The flight uses gate A4, the gold fish bowel that US airways uses. With the number of people in there and the sun out it is unbearable. Then they open the gate and the cattle stampede starts.

With the gate they use in Frankfurt and oh the "Red carpet lounge" use, coupled with the JFK beltway traffic it isn`t really worth it.

The other trhing is that SA*G* in Business have to use the Swiss lounge and not the Virgin. Although compared to the "Red Carpet" swiss is a palace

Last edited by LH SEN; May 1, 06 at 1:09 pm
Old May 1, 06, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH SEN
A
With the gate they use in Frankfurt and oh the "Red carpet lounge" use, coupled with the JFK beltway traffic it isn`t really worth it.
First, welcome to FT!

Second, did you reach that conclusion based solely on factors other than actual inflight service?
Old May 3, 06, 6:23 am

Programs: marriott platinum
Exclamation

With the exception of the seat being too short the Inflight Service is Great. But one has to look at the big picture. The journey starts at Check-in and finishes when you arrive. SQ can not be blamed for the Beltway traffic, but they need to get a better gate at FRA and allow SA *G into the Virgin Lounge instead of just giving it to PPS members. It is supposed to be an alliance of equal rights.
Old May 3, 06, 7:00 am

... allow SA *G into the Virgin Lounge instead of just giving it to PPS members. It is supposed to be an alliance of equal rights.
"Equal rights" really translate extending the same lounge privileges to other *Gs, as those that are granted to KrisFlyer Elite Golds. And that is the case for any SQ-operated lounges. (At SIN and some other airports, this means EGs are excluded to the same extent as other *Gs.) *A rules allow members to pile on extra privileges to sub-segments of their *Gs. This is what SQ chooses to do with its PPS members. Since VS is not part of *A, the arrangements between SQ and VS do not have to conform to *A rules, nor is SQ obligated to negotiate on behalf of the broad *A.
Old May 3, 06, 7:11 am
Original Poster

But one has to look at the big picture. The journey starts at Check-in and finishes when you arrive. SQ can not be blamed for the Beltway traffic, but they need to get a better gate at FRA and allow SA *G into the Virgin Lounge instead of just giving it to PPS members. It is supposed to be an alliance of equal rights.
I don't think SQ has any control over who gets to enter the VS Lounge apart from its own frequent flyer elite members and premium class pax, which was negotiated for in SQ's deal with VS. The other *A carriers have to negotiate with VS individually to allow their pax to enter its lounges as VS is not a *A member, as pointed out by jjpb3 .

And I might have gotten it wrong but isn't gate allocation done by the airport authorities?
Old May 3, 06, 7:23 am
CGK

April 28th last minute decision to fly to the states for a long weekend... Got the SQ ticket on the cheap 1,700 Euro in Business. The flight uses gate A4, the gold fish bowel that US airways uses. With the number of people in there and the sun out it is unbearable. Then they open the gate and the cattle stampede starts.

The other trhing is that SA*G* in Business have to use the Swiss lounge and not the Virgin. Although compared to the "Red Carpet" swiss is a palace
..., but they need to get a better gate at FRA and allow SA *G into the Virgin Lounge instead of just giving it to PPS members. It is supposed to be an alliance of equal rights.
As jjpb3 explained above, VS is not *A member. In addition, someone might argue (or this had been discussed in LH forum or UA forum) why LH First Class Lounge in FRA doesn't allow admittance any *A F pax.
Regarding Gate in FRA, the SQ flight SIN-FRA arrives at that C terminal and of course leaves from there. It must be because of high traffic in early morning at FRA, i.e. all the gates in B have been assigned to LH flights only. If you noticem the JFK-FRA arrives at B Gates.
Regarding cattle stampede, hmmm, I took that flight, and SQ gate agents were announcing F and C pax to board first. But, as happened in many of my LH flights, most of the pax just boards which make the boarding process in chaos.
And, welcome to FT, expecially the SQ forum.

Forgot one more thing, in FRA for flight FRA-JFK, SQ uses RCC because that's the nearest lounge to the gate. I used the LH SEN lounge in B near the Transfer Desk. It's quite a long walk to go to the SQ Gate for that 8am departure.
Old May 3, 06, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by CGK
Regarding Gate in FRA, the SQ flight SIN-FRA arrives at that C terminal and of course leaves from there. It must be because of high traffic in early morning at FRA, i.e. all the gates in B have been assigned to LH flights only. If you noticem the JFK-FRA arrives at B Gates.
Reason for the C terminal is that LH/FRA mostly uses those gates for the U.S. bound departures, with the additional associated security. (UA also departs from there and thus the RCC there.) AC on the other hand uses B gates, as do the LH flights to Canada.

Arrival of JFK-FRA at the B gates is no problem, as that flight is now bound for SIN.
Old May 3, 06, 7:47 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
It is supposed to be an alliance of equal rights.
As has been pointed out, if VS ever join the alliance your argument may have some validity.
Old May 3, 06, 7:53 am
CGK

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Reason for the C terminal is that LH/FRA mostly uses those gates for the U.S. bound departures, with the additional associated security. (UA also departs from there and thus the RCC there.) AC on the other hand uses B gates, as do the LH flights to Canada.

Arrival of JFK-FRA at the B gates is no problem, as that flight is now bound for SIN.
Thanks for the corection. It's a proof I had not been in FRA for a very long time.
I thought LH bounds to the US using B gates, not C gates?
Old May 3, 06, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by CGK
It's a proof I had not been in FRA for a very long time.
You're lucky!

Originally Posted by CGK
I thought LH bounds to the US using B gates, not C gates?
Some LH metal to U.S. does depart from designated gates in A & B. However to access these gates, you still need to clear an additional security fence. The LH codeshares, UA, US, SQ (to JFK) etc almost all invariably depart from C.
Old May 3, 06, 9:25 am

Programs: A3*S, LH, SQ, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
You been pestering the flying SPG's again mate ?.

I suppose it makes up for the lack of a Harbour View.
You bet it did. And by pure coincidence did I met people in the lobby at 7:30pm every night and just happened to have breakfast when they did. Ohh such a hardship.