Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading from Y on a RTW ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Question Upgrading from Y on a RTW ticket

I'm flying LAX to SIN in April on SQ19 in Y. Is it possible to upgrade just that sector to Biz and if so does anyone know the approx cost?

Cheers!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:02 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
AFAIK that is possible only with miles, not by paying the difference between J and Y.
LH has started *A upgrade redemptions on SQ, so that may be the way to go for you.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by StarG
AFAIK that is possible only with miles, not by paying the difference between J and Y.
LH has started *A upgrade redemptions on SQ, so that may be the way to go for you.
StarG is 100% correct. Individual segments of a RTW are not upgradeable by paying cash. Either the whole ticket is upgraded - or not at all.

Edited : LH Miles are not be an option: only Y and B are upgradeable using LH miles. Being in Y - you'd have to be booked in M class, and have either voluntarily downgraded without surcharge from a CRWSTAR fare, or paid a Q surcharge of USD 100 from a YRWSTAR. Either way - you can't upgrade with LH miles.

Last edited by shortfinals; Mar 7, 2006 at 5:43 am
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by shortfinals
StarG is 100% correct. Individual segments of a RTW are not upgradeable by paying cash. Either the whole ticket is upgraded - or not at all.

Miles are the only option.

Cheers Guys so maybe with my 3 electronic vouchers and miles I can upgrade most of my flights then.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by StevieJ

Cheers Guys so maybe with my 3 electronic vouchers and miles I can upgrade most of my flights then.
Just edited my post StevieJ - just realised M on SQ (which is what the OP would be booked in being on a RTW) is not upgradeable with LH miles.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:57 am

Sorry StevieJ, I am not familiar with the rules on LH side (which SQ subclasses are upgradeable with LH miles).
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StarG
Sorry StevieJ, I am not familiar with the rules on LH side (which SQ subclasses are upgradeable with LH miles).
So cannot chage fare classo f ticket to B or Y then?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:19 am

Paid upgrade from RTW ticket to a higher subclass or higher class is not allowed AFAIK.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I tried in 2002 from SIN-ZRH, offering to pay the fare difference. The answer was no, and in no uncertain terms.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:52 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StevieJ
I'm flying LAX to SIN in April on SQ19 in Y. Is it possible to upgrade just that sector to Biz and if so does anyone know the approx cost?

Cheers!
If you have 225k PC points, you can transfer them to 45k Krisflyer miles and upgrade if there is award availability in Raffles. The transfer can take "up to 6 weeks" but in practice, transfers have taken 2-3 business days.

Personally, I'd rather save the PC points for use on multiple award hotel nights instead of upgrading one flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.