Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:04 pm

BTC ex-SIN Business Class Chargrilled Soya Beef

Book the Cook
Chargrilled Soya Beef
Japanese-style beef served with vegetables cooked in mirin and shimeji mushroom rice,
Designed by Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef Yoshihiro Murata

Not good at all - overbooked beef
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up Sq 52/51 btc

Not all the meals below are from BTC, some are from the inflight menu as there is no BTC ex-MAN (I think), but there is BTC ex-IAH.
I didn't like what was offered for some meals so I mixed it up from the menu.

^ Interesting fact - there was satay service from MAN-IAH as it was a late morning dep. and I was told the satay was kept chilled/frozen with dry ice & transported from SIN-MAN on the earlier leg.
It made sense as it was a 2am dep. & I guess nobody was in the mood for satay ... LOL

Overall it was all right .. it's terrible how much salt they add to the meals & as someone who usually orders a LSML SPML, it was quite a shock to my taste-buds (esp. the soy sauce seafood noodle)
And no, I didn't order the lobster thermidor .. it's really not that good (maybe in F, it is)

So here it is & I'll let you guys play mix & match ...

SQ 51
Houston to Singapore

IAH - MAN Dinner Seared Lamb Loin with Mashed Potatoes (Book the Cook)
IAH - MAN Breakfast Braised Beef Brisket with Noodles
MAN - SIN Lunch Grilled Blythburgh Pork Loin
MAN - SIN Breakfast Supreme Soy Sauce Fried Noodles

SQ 52
Singapore to Houston
SIN - MAN Supper Seared Nut Veal Fillet (Book the Cook)
SIN - MAN Breakfast Grilled Angus Beef Burger (Book the Cook)
MAN - IAH Lunch Seared Berkshire Pork Loin with Natural Jus
MAN - IAH Dinner Braised Beef Short Rib with Natural Jus
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Carfield
Book the Cook
Chargrilled Soya Beef
Japanese-style beef served with vegetables cooked in mirin and shimeji mushroom rice,
Designed by Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef Yoshihiro Murata

Not good at all - overbooked beef
That's been my experience as well, though it seems to garner pretty positive feedback here. And I even ordered it a second time to be sure... LOL
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:00 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by THR
Flying SYD-SIN on Thursday, and have currently reserved the veal mignon (my partner has reserved the lobster thermidor). Anyone had the veal mignon that can comment on whether it is a good choice?

Still debating our SIN-CDG options - so many choices!
How was the veal?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:25 pm
THR

A few photos (just from different angles). It was nice, although the veal itself was a little overdone.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:26 pm
THR

Originally Posted by yosithezet

How was the veal?
Added photos above but as I didn't quote you, you might not receive notification.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
What are the best meals in J on the EWR-SIN direct? Also for SIN-SYD in J as well.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Red259
What are the best meals in J on the EWR-SIN direct? Also for SIN-SYD in J as well.
I'm always amused by posts like this - taste is soooo individual that what is best for one just is awful for another! Sort of like asking what is the "best" color without knowledge of your taste how can an answer be meaningful? (not really asking for an answer just expressing my own opinion)
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by estnet
I'm always amused by posts like this - taste is soooo individual that what is best for one just is awful for another! Sort of like asking what is the "best" color without knowledge of your taste how can an answer be meaningful? (not really asking for an answer just expressing my own opinion)
Well its not really. If that was the case restaurant reviews on yelp would never be read. Obviously there are some dishes that are not that popular. For example, if I don't like steak then even if the steak is popular I know I don't like steak and would skip it. However, if I do like lobster and people rave about the lobster then its a good indication I may like the lobster. If I like curry and most people report the curry was not very good then I know maybe to give the curry a pass this time. While it is true that there is no way to know for sure knowing what the most popular or unpopular meals are would help narrow down the selections.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: Velocity (Silver)
Hi all,

is there any difference between business vs suites class for book the cook? It seems like almost all the options are the same.

I like eating beef/veal, which option would be the best one for me? I was gonna order Chargrilled Soya Beef but it seems like it's not good?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Are people aware that there is a search function - and if FT search doesn't work well you can do a google search and specify FT eg "question":flyertalk.com - all of which might get you answers faster than posting the same questions here that have been answered multiple times?
aeroman380 and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Anyone having issues with BTC in SQ F? I have a flight FRA-SIN in 2 weeks and I'm still not able to access the menu.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:20 pm

SQ 38 SIN-LAX in J: I chose Lobster Thermidor for the first meal and Peranakan Hokkien Mee soup for the second meal. I almost never have lobster, and I usually absolutely love all varieties of Asian noodle soups. Unfortunately, both dishes seemed to have a bit of an off flavor to me. They were OK, but definitely not worth raving about. I usually fly Y and tend be one of the few people who actually looks forward to airplane food, so it is not as if I am super picky. Out of dozens of airlines across the globe, China Eastern is the only airline I have flown that was serving Y food that I found to be completely inedible. I think the moral of the story is to avoid shellfish on a plane (the soup came with some large shrimp in the broth), as I'm guessing that the ''unique' taste may be a byproduct of the reheating process. Or maybe I was just unlucky??
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:21 am

General rule for experienced frequent flyers-never eat fish on a plane. See, e.g., the movie "Airplane."
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by JetAway
General rule for experienced frequent flyers-never eat fish on a plane. See, e.g., the movie "Airplane."
agreed....when given a choice between steak & fish, always have the lasagna....
Traveler Dave likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.