Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: krisflyer
What's good on LHR-SIN? Is it me or the menu has gone down the pits?

And for breakfast it is just multirgrain toast and pad thai? (SQ319)
Old May 28, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: ANA: SFC / Marriott: Platinum Elite / Hilton: Diamond
Some BTC snaps from late May 2018

HND-SIN: Grilled fillet of beef with pesto

This one surprised me. Seasoned just right, and the meat was very tender and cooked a nice medium-rare pink. I cook a lot of beef sous vide and this had a similar texture.

SIN-MEL: Grilled angus beef burger

I expected the burger patty itself to be the main act but it was somewhat bland. Make sure to locate the sweet onions hidden under the lettuce before eating.

ADL-SIN: Classic lobster thermidor

Excellent portion (more than I remember from the ex-SIN variety) but since ADL flights are early morning, I opted to have this for the lunch instead of breakfast. I think this is one you really need to have soon after it's loaded or the cheese hardens too much. Still tasted great.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:29 am
THR

Just checked in for our flight on Thursday and despite having both BTC'd, our boarding passes state 'No meal selected'. Should I call?

EDIT: Correction, it's the check-in email that states that, not the boarding pass.

EDIT #2 : Called - and it's definitely booked, just doesn't show for me now.

Last edited by THR; May 29, 2018 at 2:35 pm Reason: Correction
Old May 31, 2018, 11:27 pm

Ex- SYD lunch
only Boston lobster thermidor is available. Clasic lobster from Australia is not available. How ironic.

What is the Japanese meal?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:04 am

From recent flights in F.

Ex FRA:
  • Boston lobster thermidor: the lobster was just ok. The rice was really bad.
  • Suckling pig with beer sauce: meat was very dry, I ate maybe a third of it. The only part I enjoyed was the cabbage. Disappointing as I went for the German dish thinking it had a higher chance of being good.

Ex JFK:
  • Roast seabass with spinach: Not exceptional, but everything was good.
  • Classic lobster thermider: same thing, not exceptional but good. Doesn't look any different to the J version.

Ex SIN:
  • Kyo Kaiseki: this was a bit of a gamble as a previous experience ex SIN was disappointing, but it was amazing. I know the dish changes over time so I don't know if they have really improved or if it's just a matter of luck.
  • Seared black cod a la nicoise: great veggies, and very juicy fish. Some may consider it a bit undercooked, but I much prefer that to something too dry. In fact I'd say it's the best fish I ever had on a plane. I see they have it in J too where it's probably going to become my go-to dish if the onboard menu doesn't look inspiring.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Fortunate enough to be flying JFK - FRA - SIN (stopover) - SYD on our honeymoon later this year. BTC just loaded -- trying to decide the best place for lobster along the way.
Definitely not FRA (see my previous post).
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by makrxx
What's good on LHR-SIN? Is it me or the menu has gone down the pits?

And for breakfast it is just multirgrain toast and pad thai? (SQ319)
The lobster was great. I fell out of favour of it ex-Sin after having it a few times where I thought it wasn’t too great. After a year I decided to give it a shot leaving Heathrow and I thought it was fantastic.

Breakfast wise, I was able to select sausages and pancakes. I found out afterwards it’s normally a kids breakfast but I was able to select it at the time. And it was pretty decent too.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
any recent reviews on premium economy ex SIN?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Going IAH-MAN in a few weeks the options that intrigue me are

Beef and Rice Noodles Soup

Hoisin beef and rice noodles(kway teow)soup served with Chinese greens

Braised Egg Noodles with Chicken

Braised egg noodles with chicken and Chinese greens

There’s a curry also but if that’s Indian style I’ll have plenty in England
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Virgin Velocity, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hello everyone,
I will be flying from LHR to Sin on the 915am flight in mid July.
When selecting the BTC meal, i am torn between the lobster noodles and the rossini beef.
I would like to know what time do they serve the brunch meal and the breakfast meal ?
(IF there is a big gap between the meals, i might go for the beef dish)
And what happens if you go hungry between the meals ? (I probably won't, but i am curious)
Are you allowed to order more dishes ?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Interestingly the menu looks better for breakfast than book the cook
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by desafinado74
Hello everyone,
When selecting the BTC meal, i am torn between the lobster noodles and the rossini beef.
I would like to know what time do they serve the brunch meal and the breakfast meal ?
And what happens if you go hungry between the meals ? (I probably won't, but i am curious)
You can eat snacks listed on the regular menu.
desafinado74 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by desafinado74
Hello everyone,
I've flown on these flights. They would serve the first meal once you get airborne. The second meal would be served 2-3 hours before landing. Here is a flight review from my 2016 LHR to SIN flight, departure was 0925hrs.

Part 1

Part 2
(The meals can be seen here)

In Part 2 of the video above, I slept for about 5 hours after the first meal, woke up, felt hungry and ordered English Tea for snack. You can see this at 2:41 of the video.

On other SIN-LHR or LHR-SIN flights, I have asked for instant noodles. This is one such example -

Here is a review of 2015 flight, LHR to SIN.

Hope this helps.
desafinado74 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
any suggestions in F out of LHR? all looks a bit meh, but then so does the a la carte menu
Fussy much?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by Karter
Fussy much?
yes

(that's as much of a response as you deserve) it's a BTC thread for sharing likes, dislikes and photos - if you don't like it - don't peruse it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.