Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I could see it as a breakfast item, for lunch it definitely won't be everyone's cup of to tea so to say.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:00 pm

I have HKG-SIN-FRA-JFK booked all in Suites in a couple of weeks.

HKG-SIN
Panfried Lamb Rack with mustard rosemary sauce

SIN-FRA
Classic Lobster Thermidor
&
Char Siew Wanton Soup

FRA-JFK
Bavarian Style Pork Belly
&
Honey Glazed Duck

Thoughts on these?
How is the Bavarian Style Pork Belly?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:49 pm

I ordered BTC for my SFO-HKG flight in J last week the Jumbo Shrimp in Thai Curry whose description was "jumbo shrimps in Thai red curry sauce served with assorted vegetables and fried rice noodles".

The description was completely misleading. As a PSA for folks who may wish to order the same dish and, like me, was expecting a bowl of Thai curry with jumbo shrimps - just be warned that it is NOT.

Rather the dish comprises of 3-4 jumbo shrimps neatly arranged on top of the plate, which are glazed with a dilute, mild coating of sauce. There was al dente steamed broccoli and carrot medallions, and boiled yellow noodles tossed with olive oil, on the side.

The dish tasted every bit as flavourless as my description.

When the stewardess presented my dish, I almost thought she had gotten the item wrong.

Sorry it didn't occur to me to have snapped and shared a picture.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Thanks - I just tried to change my selection 26 hours before my flight tomorrow but all the other selections looked pretty grim so I'm planning not to be too hungry when I board the flight So disappointing.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I ordered BTC for my SFO-HKG flight in J last week the Jumbo Shrimp in Thai Curry whose description was "jumbo shrimps in Thai red curry sauce served with assorted vegetables and fried rice noodles".

The description was completely misleading. As a PSA for folks who may wish to order the same dish and, like me, was expecting a bowl of Thai curry with jumbo shrimps - just be warned that it is NOT.

Rather the dish comprises of 3-4 jumbo shrimps neatly arranged on top of the plate, which are glazed with a dilute, mild coating of sauce. There was al dente steamed broccoli and carrot medallions, and boiled yellow noodles tossed with olive oil, on the side.

The dish tasted every bit as flavourless as my description.

When the stewardess presented my dish, I almost thought she had gotten the item wrong.

Sorry it didn't occur to me to have snapped and shared a picture.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks - I just tried to change my selection 26 hours before my flight tomorrow but all the other selections looked pretty grim so I'm planning not to be too hungry when I board the flight So disappointing.
Unsure if it's possible - based on how the dish is catered - maybe ask the crew in advance to pour more sauce onto the shrimp... my spouse and I both commented that it was really, really dry. Also ask for a bottle of olive oil and a wedge of lemon to douse on and add flavour to the boiled noodles.

Else suggest you check in early, and eat through the restaurant menu AND buffet at the United Polaris lounge. Checkin for SQ1 opens 3:30 hours before departure.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Unsure if it's possible - based on how the dish is catered - maybe ask the crew in advance to pour more sauce onto the shrimp... my spouse and I both commented that it was really, really dry. Also ask for a bottle of olive oil and a wedge of lemon to douse on and add flavour to the boiled noodles.

Else suggest you check in early, and eat through the restaurant menu AND buffet at the United Polaris lounge. Checkin for SQ1 opens 3:30 hours before departure.
Thanks - I may just go over to term 3 and visit the 2 PP lounges (alto I'll check out the Polaris lounge haven't flown ua in ages). I was wondering if they opened 3 or 3 1/2 hours before flight b/c it's NYE and the flight is just before midnight so wanted to get there as early as possible to avoid the early drinkers on the road
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:43 am
Community Director Emerita

This thread continues here: Book the cook 2020 onward

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.