Singapore Satay recipe

Old Sep 10, 05, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Singapore Satay recipe

Has anyone been cunning enough to get their hands on the recipe for SIA Singapore satay? If so, could you please share.
Old Sep 10, 05, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be very surprise if SQ would be willing to distribute any of it's dining recepies.
Old Sep 10, 05, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL,UA,SQ,CX
Alternative Recipe

I use a recipe that I adapted from one I found online this summer (see link below). It is not from Singapore Airlines but should give you something pretty close to SIA's version, something you might consider trying if SIA's recipes are as closely guarded as Willy Wonka's chocolate candy. I've tried doing this at two grill parties this summer and the results have been close to the satay I remember eating in Malaysia and Singapore. Note that you might have to modify the marinade a little for other types of meat.

Chicken Satay (Malaysian style)

For 2.3 lb (1 kg) chicken (boneless thighs)

A
15-20 shallots
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3 stalks lemongrass
2 slices galangal (or just add 2 tsp of ginger paste)

B
3-4 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tsp powdered cumin

C
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
4-5 tbsp sugar
1 tsp pandan essence (optional)
4 tbsp oil

A, B, C for marinade

D
15-20 shallots
8 cloves garlic
2 tsp ginger paste
3 stalks lemongrass
4-5 tbsp red chili paste

E
2 tsp salt (or to taste)
6-8 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
4 tbsp lime juice (or tamarind juice)

F
455 g (16 oz) roasted unsalted peanuts, finely chopped

G
1 stalk lemongrass
Some veg./peanut oil

D, E, F for spicy peanut sauce

G for basting while grilling

Grind / blend A to fine paste. Mix C into A paste in the blender. Slice chicken thighs into small chunks. Thoroughly massage chicken chunks in A+C paste. For the final seasoning, warm the coriander seeds (B) in a pan, and then pound finely (in a mortar using a pestle) while adding cumin powder. Massage in the combined B seasoning. Marinate for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight (in refrigerator).

Soak bamboo skewers in water overnight to keep them from catching fire too easily during the grilling.

To prepare the spicy peanut sauce, grind / blend D to fine paste. Fry blended D paste with generous amount of vegetable oil (150 ml) in big deep sauce pan (wok-size) over medium high heat (stirring vigorously) until slightly browned and crisp and oozing clear oil. Only then, add ingredients in E in rapid succession while continuing to stir, adding oil as necessary. Immediately after that, stir in F and add 2 cups of water. The steps of adding E, F and water should be performed within the space of approx. 1 minute as the D ingredients are fairly close to being burnt by then. Allow sauce to simmer to desired consistency, further adding water as necessary. Add more sugar and salt and a dash of pandan essence if desired while allowing sauce to simmer. Allow sauce to cool.

Before grilling*, thread chicken chunks onto bamboo skewers. Heat charcoal grill. Prepare a small bowl of vegetable / peanut oil for basting (see G in ingredient list above). Crush / smash the bulbous end of a stalk of lemongrass and use as a basting brush. Grill the chicken skewers over flaming hot charcoal, basting liberally and turning skewers over at regular intervals until done (fragrant, sizzling, glistening, slightly yellow brown, caramelized and a wee bit charred on the edges).
NOTE: The skewered chicken chunks should be pressed against each other tightly so as to not leave gaps of bamboo stick exposed to the flame. Any exposed bamboo will catch fire and burn after a short time and the skewer will break as a result.

Serve chicken satay with cucumber chunks and onion wedges, accompanied by a generous helping of slightly warm spicy peanut sauce.

*Broiling under high heat (425F, approx 15-20 minutes each side) works quite well if limited to indoor cooking

Adapted on July 9, 2005 from this online recipe:
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...3/A03214.shtml

Updated on August 15, 2005
Old Sep 10, 05, 12:34 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Thanks for sharing the receipe. I used to live in Indonesia. I look forward to giving this one a try...
Old Apr 15, 07, 3:56 am

I recently cooked the recipe posted by JetE.
It was tasty but took alot of work.
Old Apr 16, 07, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Next time you go to Singapore, go to Lau Pa Sat for the satays at night.

Stall # 8 beats SQ's dry and often minscule satays anytime !

Search this Thread
Search Engine: