FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   7 hours in SIN airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/464431-7-hours-sin-airport.html)

Rich_C Aug 19, 2005 12:10 pm

7 hours in SIN airport

I have loooooong layover in the SIN airport (8 hours, starting at 4:30am). I need help from you experts as to what I can do during that layover. I'm currently not a KrisFlyer member, and I don't have enough time to become one before I have this layover next week. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get into the KrisFlyer lounge, or ANY lounge for that matter for my layover? I am flying SilkAir from Hyderabad, India, into SIN, but only economy was avialable. :( To make matters worse, my company would only let me fly economy on my SIN-SFO leg (ugh!!!) :rolleyes:

HELP PLEASE! I need some ideas as to how I can survive this layover!.

TIA.........Rich

Rejuvenated Aug 19, 2005 12:40 pm

You will not have access to the SK lounge because 1) you are not flying in J or F 2) You are not a PPS member. As a matter of fact you will also not have access to any other *A lounges.

SQ319 Aug 19, 2005 12:55 pm

Rich_C, welcome to FT from another newbie!

Anyway, as most FTers here will tell you, SIN is a pretty nice place to transit in, and with 7 hours, you can also go for the free city sightseeing tour.

Check out the following threads...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379285
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446341

SQFAN Aug 19, 2005 1:51 pm

Welcome Rich_C

If you want some lounge access, join priority pass (PP). You'll pay for each lounge visit. I believe jjpb3 still has the list of lounge at Chnagi that Priority Pass members can use. You may wish to pm him prior to joining PP.

With 7 hrs, you could do lots of things in S'pore city and these has been addressed in the posted links above.

Alternatively, roam around the airport as there are lots to do and see. If you need to rest, then use the transit hotel.

Rich_C Aug 19, 2005 2:56 pm

Thanks for the input.

I'm already schedule for sightseeing on my way into SIN (an even longer layover) so on the way back I'm sure I'll want to rest. The transit hotel is already booked, unfortunately.

Is PP well respected? I haven't heard of then, so I just wanted to make sure that they're totally legit.

TIA.........Rich

(p.s. - this board rocks!)

ws8n Aug 19, 2005 3:37 pm

The transit hotel may have vacancies due to cancellations. So eventhough they claim it is full, you can still give it a try.

If you are looking for cheap overnite accomo, you can give PL a try :)

Rich_C Aug 19, 2005 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ws8n
The transit hotel may have vacancies due to cancellations. So eventhough they claim it is full, you can still give it a try.

If you are looking for cheap overnite accomo, you can give PL a try :)

PL? (sorry - remember... I'm a newbie!)

- RC

SQFAN Aug 19, 2005 4:09 pm

Priority Pass is legit. You can google it and join accordingly. I've done so in the past.

I think ws8n refers to Plaza Premium Lounge? It's US $20 for 5hrs.Linked here

StarG Aug 19, 2005 8:15 pm

I agree with SQ319. SIN is among the most pleasant to spend long transit at.
Even if you don't have access to a lounge, you have a wide variety of F&B outlets to choose from, a plethora of shops, rooftop pool, etc. IIRC they have a cinema on the upper level (can someone confirm this?).

Rejuvenated Aug 19, 2005 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by StarG
I agree with SQ319. SIN is among the most pleasant to spend long transit at.
Even if you don't have access to a lounge, you have a wide variety of F&B outlets to choose from, a plethora of shops, rooftop pool, etc. IIRC they have a cinema on the upper level (can someone confirm this?).

And also a fitness facility! ^ Sometimes airport like Changi feels like a lounge itself in it's entirety.

Kiwi Flyer Aug 19, 2005 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by StarG
IIRC they have a cinema on the upper level (can someone confirm this?).

Yes and its free - up escalator nearest where the F piers start.

jjpb3 Aug 20, 2005 12:30 am

And conveniently for the OP, the fitness facility adjoins the Plaza Premium Lounge, while the cinema is steps away from it. :)

Rich_C Aug 21, 2005 3:44 pm

Do I need a Visa if I want to leave the Singapore airport during one of my layovers?

wr_schwab Aug 21, 2005 4:58 pm

If you are on a US passport, no visa is needed to enter Singapore, but you do need to fill out one of their immigration cards. Immigration doesn't take long and it is only a short cab ride into the city. I believe there is a free transit tour of the city available but have never taken it.

Craig Aug 27, 2005 9:15 pm

For a layover of that length, such as I had on Friday, I nearly always leave the airport. On Friday, my seat companion had never been to Singapore, so I took her to my favourite little eating place near Arab Street, for lunch (kway teow). Then a stroll around that area, and the rapidly filling mosque. Over to the Beach Hut on the east coast for a couple of beers, then back to the airport.

Sometimes, I change into shorts and singlet in the lounge, go through immigration carrying naught but a ziplock bag contining my passport, a few bucks and my onward boarding pass, and go for a good long run along the east coast. Return through immigration, have a shower in the lounge, and thus refreshed, take the next sector.