Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Are we sure SQ will tag my connecting bag?

Old May 23, 2005, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

All - flying UA in F JFKLAX then SQ F LAXNRT next month. The only drawback to SQ's flight is a relatively late arrival at NRT (1800). I don't particularly want to waste time waiting for my bag.

Presumably UA will only tag my bag with its own tags. Is it SOP for SQ to reconcile connecting bags against the bag's owner's class of service? There's enough time to haul my bag over to the Bradley terminal, but I'd much rather use my 2+ hours to do something more fun if I can be sure mine will be among the first to roll off in Tokyo.

Jamie
Old May 23, 2005, 6:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If you are flying JFK LAX in F, then your bag should have a Star Alliance priority tag on it. Having UA tag your bag JFK-LAX-NRT should give it priority handling at NRT.
Old May 23, 2005, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Not to worry! I have done many UA-SQ connections with interline baggage transfer from UA to SQ and vise versa. Most recently, IAD-ORD-NRT-SIN-PVG. With Star Priority Tags, my bags were at luggage claim area waiting for me after I passed border control.

Just ask UA to check your bags all the way to NRT.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I just last week flew ORD-LAX-SIN-DPS on a combination of UA & SQ metal. I checked my bag at ORD and UA checked it through all the way to DPS (I checked the tag first, and it was correct showing all segments). I had the folks when I checked in at LAX check the status and they had no problems. My bag was one of the first off the line in DPS, and had been priority tagged by both UA & SQ.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by cawhite60156
I just last week flew ORD-LAX-SIN-DPS on a combination of UA & SQ metal. I checked my bag at ORD and UA checked it through all the way to DPS (I checked the tag first, and it was correct showing all segments). I had the folks when I checked in at LAX check the status and they had no problems. My bag was one of the first off the line in DPS, and had been priority tagged by both UA & SQ.
Not surprised...From what I've seen Priority tagging on SQ actually does work as i've always seen the priority tagged bags off first.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:18 pm

I did have an exception. One of my baggages came out slower in NRT, without any Priority tag. When I got home, I found this suitcase was opened for an examination by the security authority in DFW. They even put a printed paper in it, and they maybe removed the tag?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 12:09 pm

I just returned yesterday from a trip to HKG and SIN aboard UA (First) and SQ (Raffles). We flew UA from DSM (my home) to DEN and on to LAX, and then connected to SQ 11 to NRT and finally to SIN. The bags were checked all the way through to SIN. The UA agent in DSM was a real jerk and did not want to put the Star Priority tag on there commenting how it doesn't matter. We pointed out that in Asia and with other Star members, it does matter and your bags will come out first. Anyway, he only put them on two (I don't know why) and sent our bags through. However, SQ apparantly added Star Priority and SQ Raffles Priority tags to all of our bags in LAX and they were among the first to come out in SIN. So, no need to worry. Just check your bags all the way through and SQ should take care of things and place their own priorty tags on your bags when you get them. Also, one additional note. UA was not able to print out boarding passes for SQ, so we had to get them at the TBIT when we arrived. However, there was no wait at the Raffles and First check-ins. Enjoy your flight...and try not to let the song from the SQ welcome and safety video get stuck in your head like it is in mine!
Old Jun 6, 2005, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Just adding my past experience--when I've flown with another *A carrier connecting to an SQ flight, SQ has added its own priority tags (they seem very good about that). The bags had been checked through to my final destination at my point of embarkation, and the standard *A priority tags applied at that time.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:15 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ylwae
Just adding my past experience--when I've flown with another *A carrier connecting to an SQ flight, SQ has added its own priority tags (they seem very good about that). The bags had been checked through to my final destination at my point of embarkation, and the standard *A priority tags applied at that time.
It even works when coming from a non *A carrier, when it's more important. SQ priority tags applied at the connection.

It's very nice.

Charles
Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:42 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Similarly on my flight on SQ 11 LAX to NRT, while waiting at the First Class Lounge at TBIT, the receptionist approached me and actually informed me reassuringly that my bags coming in from UA PDX to LAX had been received ( and the bags then arrived among the first group at my destination with Priority/First tags).
Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:45 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Did YVR-SFO-LAX on UA and LAX-SIN SQ11. SQ at LAX put the Priority and F tags, as well as Solitaire tags.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:27 am

Based on my recent experience, I must say that SQ does a lot to really treat its customers - particularly its premium passengers - well. Our bags were always among the first out at each airport, their cabin service and flight attendents were excellent...just everything was good. It sure is a far cry from United who doesn't seem to care. It says something to me when my bags get priority on a 744 and they are among the first to show up...versus them coming out near the end from my UA flight back into DSM on an EMB-170 with only 42 passengers....and we had to wait 20 minutes for bags to show up...in DSM!!! This was versus 15-20 minutes in HKG and SIN!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the others have said you won't have to worry about UA not checking your bags all the way to your SQ flight. Afterall, it's part of the *A system. Even with carriers on different alliances, there are still some interline baggage procedure in place. I once flew LAX-EWR on CO, then connected to EWR-AMS on SQ, CO tagged my bags all the way to AMS without any hassles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.