SIN overnight

Old Dec 5, 04, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

SIN overnight

Hope this is the correct place.

I am arriving SIN late in the evening with my wife and 2 Children. We will be departing next day around 6PM. Any hotel recommendations other than the Transit Hotel. Also would appreciate recommendations on places to go and see with the kids. I searched the forum and got some info from:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323056

We wil be arriving on Dec 24 Christmas Eve. I am assuming that there will be some places open on Chrismas Day to see and eat.

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 04, 5:29 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Everything will be open, and shops close late, closer to 10pm. I'm not good with hotel suggestions, though I would say that hotels along Orchard Road would be your best bet, easy access to food, shopping, public transport etc. Hilton, Marriot, Four Seasons, are all located around the start of the main shopping area.
Old Dec 6, 04, 6:45 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
either stay on/near Orchard Road or at Marina Bay Square where the Ritz Carlton is a wonderful option with the best view in SIN, even from the bathrooms and a good Japanese and excellent Chinese Restaurant. Club floor recommendable.
Old Dec 6, 04, 7:11 am

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
Christmas Day is an official public holilday in Singapore so I'm not sure about everything being open. As far as hotels go my recommendation is the Raffles Plaza right next to the famous Raffles on Bras Basah Rd. It's not overly corporate and stuffy, has very well thought-out rooms and the most amazingly beatutiful bathrooms. It's also conveniently located above Raffles City Shopping Centre and Raffles MRT, about three stops from Orchard Rd.
Old Dec 6, 04, 7:24 am

I have been at the transit hotel. It is excellent and the health club with sauna is really terrific to freshen up. However, since your flight does not leave until 6 PM, I agree with the above posts....stay at a hotel outside the airport .
Old Dec 6, 04, 8:41 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
I would defintiely go into Singapore rather than stay at the transit hotel with the time you have.

The Hotels mentioned above are all pretty good and I also recommend the Conrad. In the same complex as Raffles Plaza there is Swissotel Stamford which has fantastic views, although it also has outdoor balcony's on every floor, including floors in the 60's . May be a slight worry with young children.
Old Dec 6, 04, 11:45 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by fratboy
Christmas Day is an official public holilday in Singapore so I'm not sure about everything being open.
Official public holidays being what they are in Singapore, everything is open. I live there fer chrissakes. Even chinese new year is starting to be a minor blip with most shops open on the first day of CNY but with reduced hours.

Head on to town and have a blast. All of Orchard Road is dressed to the nines and it'll be a fun treat for the kids. If you want to have a nice hotel Christmas brunch and all, best to book now as those are very popular with the locals and expats alike.
Old Dec 6, 04, 12:39 pm

my suggestion is to book the room upon arrival at the hotel desk - they'll often include late check-out and as they unload their excess capacity for the day the prices are very competitive. you may want to call them (number listed on changi website) and ask them the hotels and prices available for today to get a feel of availability and pricing. Even on the 24th there should be plenty of rooms still avaible - but perhap someone else can speak to this.
Old Dec 6, 04, 7:52 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Another option if you're flying through on Singapore Airlines is to book a Singapore stopover with them, the pricing is pretty good, especially if you're looking for the other benefits included in it as well - take a look at http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/...entSite=global .

Otherwise I've found pretty good pricing for rooms at http://www.asiarooms.com/singapore/singapore.html - I've used them before and had no problems. I'll actually be staying in Singapore over the Christmas break too, and this time I used Priceline, got the Le Meridien for SG107+taxes. But regardless I'm sure you'll find somewhere decent to fit your budget too!
Old Dec 7, 04, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
It also has outdoor balcony's on every floor, including floors in the 60's . May be a slight worry with young children.
Nothing to worry about. The only difference between a young child falling 60 storeys and a young child falling 40 storeys is how high it bounces. It's otherwise about the same afterwards.
Old Dec 8, 04, 8:21 am

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
My recomendations will be to stay at orchard road, it will be a nice experience. Go to Paragon for high end shopping, Eat at a hawker center (Satay etc), or go to east coast parkway and eat Chilli crabs with sea views, or go to little India and eat Fish head curry at Muthu curry house.

To get best prices for camera's etc try Mohd Mustafa in Sarangoon road (little India).

These are must have experience for Singapore.
Old Dec 8, 04, 9:32 am

One option to throw out for hotels is to consider 'Cash and Points' assuming you have some Starwood points. If so, you may be able to get the room for $45 + 2800 points. See the thread in the Starwood forum and note that as of yesterday the SPG website wasn't updated with the extension of the Cash & Pts into December - so may have to call the SPG desk to book this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: