Chances of upgrade using miles?

Old Dec 5, 04, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*P
Question Chances of upgrade using miles?

Hello KrisFlyer fellows,

I'm an Aeroplan member, thus not quite familiar with the KF stuff.
a friend of mine is considering take YYZ-HKG-SIN-HKG-YYZ, leaving on Feb 5th, and returning on 19th. it's on AC and SQ.
I'm wondering what are the chances that he could use his KF miles to upgrade to biz from HKG-SIN (Feb 6th), and HKG-SIN(19th). i heard KF has blackout dates, and some restrictions.
If possible, should he call SIA office ASAP?

Appreciated!
Old Dec 5, 04, 8:18 pm

Programs: SIA PPS, OZ Asiana Club, CX MPC, IHG Royal Amb, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Silver
KF does not have any black-out dates, and your friend can use his KF miles for upgrade so long as his paid economy class ticket is eligible for mileage accrual (that is, it should not be booked on Classes - V, Q, G, N or T).

However, SIA has restricted the number of seats that are available for upgrading or award. So it is best that your friend call them immediately to make a reservation. He can waitlist if there is no seats available for upgrade.
Old Dec 6, 04, 1:53 am

I agree with hclee01. Call ASAP to avoid any disappointments.

As a benchmark: I had no trouble getting a one-way upgrade from economy to business for an early March flight, when I called in late November. The timeline will likely be tighter if your friend is travelling on one of SQ's peak periods. (One way to gauge when the peak periods happen, is to look at promotional fares from the country of origin. Fares on the Internet seem to reflect the expected relative demand for travel.)
Old Dec 6, 04, 2:25 am

Programs: TK E+, BA Gold, Marriott/HH Gold, IC Amb, Hertz PC
Feb 6th is just before Chinese New Year and flights may be full.
Old Dec 6, 04, 7:05 pm

Programs: SQ, HHonors, Priority Club
From my conversations with KF, there are only on 2 Raffles seats/flight available for redemption/upgrade so as others have already pointed out, call early to avoid disapointment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: