Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SIA to offer broadband service on some flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, HHonors, Priority Club

From Straits Times: http://www.straitstimes.com/sub/late...88339,00.html?

SINGAPORE - Singapore Airlines will introduce high-speed Internet access on some long-haul flights beginning next year.

Under a deal signed on Thursday, the airline and a Boeing subsidiary will provide broadband service for selected flights on the Singapore-London route in early 2005. Singapore Airlines said it planned to extend the service to other routes.

The Boeing subsidiary, Connexion by Boeing, will also provide live international television through passengers' wireless-enabled laptops on Singapore Airlines flights from mid-2005 onwards.

More than 40 aircraft, or about half of the airline's fleet, will eventually have broadband service, said a senior vice-president of the airline.

He said the cost of the project was in the 'multi-millions'.

Passengers could pay up to US$29.95 (S$49.11) for unlimited access to the Internet on flights that are longer than six hours.

SIA is in talks with SingTel and Starhub, two of Singapore's telecommunications operators, to allow subscribers to gain access to their broadband accounts on flights.

Connexion has signed deals with several other airlines to provide broadband access on flights. German airline Lufthansa and All Nippon Airways of Japan already provide the service on some routes. -- AP
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:13 am

Programs: United 1K
Here's additional info. Looks like SIA will also have "live" TV in 6 months.

SINGAPORE (AFP) - Singapore Airlines (SIA) passengers will be able to surf the web or catch up with their emails when high-speed inflight Internet services come on board next year, the carrier said.

In a team-up with Connexion by Boeing, a business unit of the US aircraft maker Boeing, the broadband service will initially be available on selected SIA Singapore-London flights from the first quarter of 2005.

SIA is planning to expand the service to include 'live' global television news channels on board its flights in the middle of next year.

"We are all very excited and eagerly looking forward to the first quarter of next year when ... the first three of SIA's Boeing 747-400 aircraft will be equipped with wireless broadband capability," said Yap Kim Wah, senior vice president for product and services.

"The service will be progressively introduced to our fleet. In total, more than 40 aircraft will be equipped with this in-flight technology."

Passengers will have to pay for the service, with unlimited access to the Internet on flights of more than six hours costing 29.95 US dollars.

Unlimited access on flights of between three and six hours will cost 19.95 dollars and 14.95 dollars for flights of less than three hours.

A metered option will also be available, starting at 7.95 dollars for the first 30 minutes and 25 cents for every extra minute.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:40 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
This sounds fantastic. Maybe live TV will be available also on Wisemen?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:06 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
IIRC, the A345 flights have an ethernet port in Raffles and they've been planning wired broadband on those flights for a while now. Wonder if that will be provided by Boeing as well
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:08 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Maybe live TV will be available also on Wisemen?
And we will then look back to the ancient times when we can only watch videos and audios on demand on board. ^
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by StarG
And we will then look back to the ancient times when we can only watch videos and audios on demand on board. ^

speaking of reminiscing.. When you need blasts to the past - just fly TG.
Reminds me of one of their A300-600's i took yesterday. Ah flying in the 70's!
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I guess I won't hold my breathe on SQ waiving charges for PPS members
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:11 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
What if it earns you miles?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, HHonors, Priority Club
1 mile / minute ^
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:43 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by shortfinals
Reminds me of one of their A300-600's i took yesterday. Ah flying in the 70's!

A couple of times this year I've gone in and out of SGN on TG and SQ. It's a little difficult trying explain in words the difference between C on TG's A300-600 compared to Raffles on SQ's 772ER .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.