Silk Air?

Old Dec 1, 04, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Location: MSP - UA 1k, NW Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Silk Air?

Hopefully I'm posting this is the right place -

I'm flying on Singapore Air EWR->SIN. I'd like to fly from SIN to Sim Reap - service only by Silk Air from SIN non-stop. When I go to www.singaporeair.com I the flights come up and when I go to price the flight I receive a message stating "Please visit www.silkair.com to book flights that do not include at least one segement on Singapore Air." When I click on the link (or type www.silkair.com) into my browser I end up on the Singapore Air homepage. I have e-mailed SIA but haven't heard anything. Anybody else book on silkair.com via the web ?
For what it's worth I'm trying to do this from North America- does that matter?

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 04, 3:14 pm

I think there might be something wrong with your browser...

I just clicked on the link that you had in your post, and it worked perfectly. Have you tried again recently?
Old Dec 3, 04, 8:03 am

Programs: PPS Club
there might be some problem with your browser or server. try from other computers.

in anycase, i am not surprised by the reticence in SIA's reply. i used to send some complaints to them in the past. there was no reply from LHR at all (that was when i was based in UK). however, SIN station (when returned to Singapore) replied asap. its weird how they work around customer feedbacks. soemtimes response is very timely, sometimes no reply at all.

i am sure the regular flyers who complained in the past must have experienced such problems.

Originally Posted by nomod

I'm flying on Singapore Air EWR->SIN. I'd like to fly from SIN to Sim Reap - service only by Silk Air from SIN non-stop. When I go to www.singaporeair.com I the flights come up and when I go to price the flight I receive a message stating "Please visit www.silkair.com to book flights that do not include at least one segement on Singapore Air." When I click on the link (or type www.silkair.com) into my browser I end up on the Singapore Air homepage. I have e-mailed SIA but haven't heard anything. Anybody else book on silkair.com via the web ?

Thanks
Old Dec 3, 04, 8:55 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
That's strange--I click on www.silkair.com and also get redirected to the SIA website. It's not the browser--I tried it with Microsoft IE, Opera and Firefox. Is there a separate Silkair website that can be accessed?
Old Dec 3, 04, 9:13 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Originally Posted by nomod

Thanks
You book the flight on silkair.com and then show the credit card and a copy of the booking to the silkair counter. I think they have an option to collect it either within the transit area or departure concourse. i have always used the latter. either way you will not get stuck in sin as they are very responsive about these things. silkair does not have a practise of issuing e-tix, so you have to get the paper ones before you fly. hope this helps.
Old Dec 3, 04, 9:40 am

Programs: PPS Club
no problems for me though.

another option is to go to singaporeair.com site. here, click on 'About SIA', 'Subsidiaries', then 'Silkair'. u shd be able to reach silkair.com from there.

Originally Posted by MovieMan
That's strange--I click on www.silkair.com and also get redirected to the SIA website. It's not the browser--I tried it with Microsoft IE, Opera and Firefox. Is there a separate Silkair website that can be accessed?
Old Dec 3, 04, 10:25 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by lowwol
another option is to go to singaporeair.com site. here, click on 'About SIA', 'Subsidiaries', then 'Silkair'. u shd be able to reach silkair.com from there.
That worked! Thanks for the tip. ^
Old Jan 15, 06, 9:33 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Bump!

I was planning a trip to Angkor Wat for later this year and saw the direct MI flights. Never flown SilkAir before, so had a couple of questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that the only *FFP that one could earn miles on is KrisFlyer?

2. Will they honour any Star Gold benefits? (Priority check-in is the only major one I'm looking at, since I have Priority Pass which will take care of lounge access.)

3. Is it worth paying the differential for Business class for this flight? My dates show Y to be S$ 650 while J is about S$1150.

4. On the return all flights seem to be stopping in PNH. As an alternative, I was wondering if such a routing would be permissible: SIN-REP-BKK/x-SIN with the REP-BKK on Bangkok Airways and the BKK-SIN on SQ mainline. And if so, how do I get this ticketed!?

cheers
AJ
Old Jan 15, 06, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
1. YES.
2. NO. As they are not part of STAR ALLIANCE
3. NO
4. NO. Prepare to pay full Y fare.

Cheaper for you to go through local travel agency as they have special fares to REP. Try zuji.

Alternatively LCC Air Asia has great fares from KUL for as low as US$2 one way

http://www.airasia.com/site/en/home.jsp

From SIN you may also try booking with MH. Fares definitely cheaper than MI.

Or you may buy cheap SIN-BKK-SIN ticket on SQ or TG. Then buy seperate BKK-REP return.
Old Jan 15, 06, 9:45 am

Thanks! ^

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
From SIN you may also try booking with MH. Fares definitely cheaper than MI.
Are there any discounted J fares available on MI?
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Or you may buy cheap SIN-BKK-SIN ticket on SQ or TG. Then buy seperate BKK-REP return.
If I do this would either SQ or TG interline luggage, and check me in thru to REP from SIN? Also, even if I flew with hand luggage only, and still needed to pick up the Bangkok Airways BP from BKK, would I be able to do this airside? (And thus avoid those 500THB dept. taxes!)
Old Jan 15, 06, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Thanks! ^

If I do this would either SQ or TG interline luggage, and check me in thru to REP from SIN? Also, even if I flew with hand luggage only, and still needed to pick up the Bangkok Airways BP from BKK, would I be able to do this airside? (And thus avoid those 500THB dept. taxes!)
Bangkok Airways work on e-tickets, so no problems there. They have desks in the transit area at BKK (plus their own - rather basic - lounge).

Any other carrier should interline onto PG, but if they don't, you just go to the transit counter at BKK and they'll send someone down to the belt to recover your bags, bring them upstairs and re-tag them.
Old Jan 15, 06, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Bangkok Airways work on e-tickets, so no problems there. They have desks in the transit area at BKK (plus their own - rather basic - lounge).

Any other carrier should interline onto PG, but if they don't, you just go to the transit counter at BKK and they'll send someone down to the belt to recover your bags, bring them upstairs and re-tag them.
Cheers Tony. ^
Old Jan 15, 06, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Thanks! ^

Not that I know of. Fare on zuji is same as what you have on MI's website. So , no specials.

Yes you should be able to connect thru. Just show both sets of tickets to check-in agent who will tag your bags through. You just need to pick up BP at BKK transit hall. No need to clear immigration or customs at BKK.

Check out what fares PG is charging from BKK on:
http://www.bangkokair.com

Otherwise you can opt for the Discovery Airpass from Bangkok Airways and Siem Reap Airways... you need 3 coupons for this...if you want to include Phnom Pehn.

ie BKK-REP-PHN-BKK ($80+$50+$80) Internation/Domestic/International
It's quite a good deal IMO.

http://www.bangkokair.com/spoffer/

This airpass can be issued through any TA in USA as it's not e-ticketable.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jan 15, 06 at 11:13 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: