Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with large fragile carryons?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Help with large fragile carryons?

This weekend, I need to fly from Newark to Jakarta on SQ. I need to carry along a large and heavy piece of computer equipment (about the size of a pizza box weighing nearly 20 kilos). I cannot check it as freight since it is a delicate component, but it is too large to carry around easily.

Does SQ have any solutions for this problem?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by rbrenton88
This weekend, I need to fly from Newark to Jakarta on SQ. I need to carry along a large and heavy piece of computer equipment (about the size of a pizza box weighing nearly 20 kilos). I cannot check it as freight since it is a delicate component, but it is too large to carry around easily.

We don't know as we're not the ones checking you in. You would really have to check with the airport people. It should be ok as long as you have a trolley for it and not physically carrying it.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Knowing SQ, as long as you're in Business Class, you won't have a problem. However, one issue might be with security in Newark. Will it fit through the carry-on scanner? If not, you're almost definitely out of luck.

To be safe, I'd call SQ in advance.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:36 am

Do you have a letter stating it is for temporary import to Indonesia only - or have you cleared import legalities beforehand - or is there someone meeting you to clear the path?

Smuggling what sounds like expensive electronics into Jakarta sometime backfires badly, if customs on the day are on the ball (they xray incoming handcarry)
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I have someone meeting me at the airport when I arrive.

Unfortunately I am flying in econ.

Perhaps it is best that I package it carefully and hope for the best. I had a bad experience on China Air with a box marked with red 'fragile' stickers. It came on the carousel quite nicely crushed.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:41 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
SKB Boxes

Originally Posted by rbrenton88
I don't know if you have the time to go out and buy an SKB Rack. But, that's what I did on a trip to BLR (SFO-SIN-BLR) in September.

This thread may be of some help. Custom Electronics
Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Even when flying economy, if you can explain to the station manager that the item you are carrying is very fragile and cannot be checked, they might be ok. BUT hopefully that is the ONLY piece of carry on that you have, otherwise it's harder to bargain that way.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

I spoke to SQ in NY yesterday. The person advised I check as 'special handling', which means it is hand-carried to the cargo hold. What happens there is anyone's guess.
I packed it in a special wood-framed shipping case we had laying around, with lots of foam peanuts.

I think it should survive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.