EWR-SIN: take SQ? or CO to HKG then SQ?

Old Nov 13, 04, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
EWR-SIN: take SQ? or CO to HKG then SQ?

I'll be travelling to SIN sometime next year. I was wondering if anyone had been on the EWR-SIN flight and how it stacked up versus the other alternatives. I would normally fly CO and partners, so the most logical alternative for me would be to take CO EWR-HKG and then fly SQ or CX to SIN from there. Any advice? And I would be flying Biz class, but is it worth trying to get the boss to spring for the first class suite if I do fly SQ?
Old Nov 13, 04, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
SQ all the and please CO(way below par) is not in the same league as SQ so absolutely no comparision there.
Old Nov 13, 04, 9:03 pm

Programs: SQ TPP25, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
SQ EWR-SIN non-stop flights does not have First Class. Only Raffles and Executive Economy.
If you want to be in First, you have to fly JFK-SIN with a stop in FRA.
Whether or not First is worth depends on your own judgment, but SQ First is definitely much better than Raffles.
Old Nov 14, 04, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
And SQ does have a curtain that seperates their Business cabin from coach unlike CO. I think doing the SIN-EWR flight just makes it all simple don't you think? Nonstop against a plane-change at HKG.

Plus service will be much much better than CO anytime.

But most important of all... where do you want to earn miles from?
Old Nov 14, 04, 8:50 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Since your office gives you the options which airlines to fly, SQ is the answer. But I agree with GB, which FFP do you want to credit the miles? SQ is not CO partner. Recently I flew UA trans-pacific in C and also in F, BA F YVR-LHR, LH F FRA-BKK, and BKK-SIN-AKL SQ, AKL-SYD TG, SYD-SIN-BKK SQ (also NRT-BKK NH). Well, I still have same opinion about US airlines. They are way behind other non-US airlines, except UA C and F overall was a lot better than TG F even with the new sleeper seat.
In short, if you don't have to park the miles in your CO account, SQ EWR-SIN will be the choice in C, and if you want to do F, take SQ JFK-FRA-SIN.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: