FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   OT: Singaporean Food (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/371289-ot-singaporean-food.html)

Guy Betsy Nov 17, 2004 10:42 pm

I'd do it for FREE. Secrets of foodie's paradise.. in Singapore, Penang and Vancouver!

:)

fimo Nov 17, 2004 11:00 pm

Damn, the competition is tough!

Guy Betsy Nov 25, 2004 7:38 pm

I don't know about getting it in the US, but in Vancouver there is a company that makes pretty good "Bak Kwah" - barbequed pork jerky. Yum. It's vacuum packed and rather flat... but it's so heavenly yummy... that my US friends (from Singapore) come to Vancouver and stocked up .... of course that was before the US started banning bringing all food stuffs from Canada!

Oh... and a couple of places here in Vancouver too, you can get REAL Durian gelato. Yum.

ws8n Nov 25, 2004 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I don't know about getting it in the US, but in Vancouver there is a company that makes pretty good "Bak Kwah" - barbequed pork jerky. Yum. It's vacuum packed and rather flat... but it's so heavenly yummy... that my US friends (from Singapore) come to Vancouver and stocked up .... of course that was before the US started banning bringing all food stuffs from Canada!

Oh... and a couple of places here in Vancouver too, you can get REAL Durian gelato. Yum.

Can you recommend a few restaurants in Vancouver? I got some friends heading that way and they love food (actually, who doesn't)

Alawyer Nov 28, 2004 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Bak Kwah - hmm, yet another chinese new year delicacy and not necessarily singaporean either. Most singaporeans swear by that small store in Chinatown (Lim Hock Guan) and would even queue 3 - 4 hours for it (to show their piety by presenting a box as a gift). And after stuffing yourself with 1 kg of it every year (and the subsequent fever from eating too much heaty food), the stall is dead quiet for the rest of the year. Wonder if the bak kwah in YVR is any good? :)

Any other good Singaporean food places elsewhere? Singaporean noodles does not qualify! :)

davem4 Nov 28, 2004 11:57 pm

Generaly are the resturants in Singapore safe to eat from
Like from someone from Australia.

I love sampling food from many places, but sometimes get concerned about what kind of health implications it might have.

i might have a day stop in singapore later this year so i would be happy to be able to enjoy some of the food.

YVR Cockroach Nov 29, 2004 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Alawyer
Wonder if the bak kwah in YVR is any good? :)

The owner uses pork butt (shoulder). Canadian pork is very lean (pork can be served pink here, cooked to 160F while pork elsewhere needs to be cooked to 180F) so what this means is that the pork is very lean and relatively dry compared to the stuff you get in Asia. No big chunks of fat which some may prefer. Comes in normal or spicy (chili) pork, and beef (not sure if spicy is offered for beef), and pork floss. Think the price is C$15-18/lb.

The place is on Fraser and 26th (or 27th?) (NE corner) - this is at least the 2nd location as the previous one (Main & 10th) was taken out by a fire from an adjacent restaurant in 2001. The owner was born in Malaysian Borneo (not sure if it was Sabah or Sarawak) of Taiwanese parents IIRC. They take cash only.

YVR Cockroach Nov 29, 2004 9:43 am

Originally Posted by ws8n
Can you recommend a few restaurants in Vancouver? I got some friends heading that way and they love food (actually, who doesn't)

For the cheap, search the Canada section for Kedah House and Hawker's Delight, both in east Van.

The other good ones are Banana Leaf on West Broadway (between Cambie and Oak, nearer to Cambie on the southside) and the one int he food court at Richmond Public Market.