Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Singaporean Food

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2004, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Sorry, Mr Tan Ah Kow, Char Kway Teow seller from Rochor Road for 30 years is now in Perth.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 2:30 pm

I agree with GB. Looking at the list of SQ chefs, they need to have more asian influence, since most of them serve Western styles. SQ should serve some traditional S'pore dishes, like CX where they do a Yung Kee promotion, Spring Moon and so on, and serve speciaties such as Poon Choi. SQ should do some of the traditional dishes, such as spicy fish in banana leaf, and Char Kway Teow, could be made a BTC dish.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:29 pm

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by hongkongtraveller
Oh yes, I also love Chendol. I sometimes make it myself, but the green jelly is hard and time consuming to make, so sometimes I just have it at a restaurant for $5 Canadian. They serve it like a drink, interestingly enough.
In Indonesia, they do serve Cendol as drinks (in a glass).

Yes, I agree that there should at least be one local Singaporean/ASEAN chef on SQ Culinary Panel, serving local specialties on board.
On a side note, the "International Culinary Panel" logo beside some main course dish on the menu is not a plus for me anymore, since they are usually not better nor more interesting than regular meals.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
They should revamp Book the Cook every year. I don't believe they changed the menu every since they started it.

If only they could introduce real Laksa, like the one from my favourite stall in Depot Rd (now at Alexandria Hawker Center).
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Okay... lets try to compile a wishlist and forward it maybe to SQ Catering Dept and see what they'll say... or do.

They'd probably laugh.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 2:51 am

Good idea!
I'd favour the Chili and/or Black Pepper Crab, but seriously doubt that any airline would want such a mess on one of their planes
However, a good Laksa (without the clams for me, please), should always be available in F and C.

This thread makes me sooo hungry - and makes me want to go to SIN again

Cheers,
Torsten
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think both Laksa and Char Kway Teow would be great additions to the menu.

I do hope the reason that SQ don't offer more Singaporean choices is the belief that 'Westerners' (whoever they are) don't like Asian food. 95% of colleagues either like it or love it.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I think both Laksa and Char Kway Teow would be great additions to the menu.

I do hope the reason that SQ don't offer more Singaporean choices is the belief that 'Westerners' (whoever they are) don't like Asian food. 95% of colleagues either like it or love it.
Have you seen the choices offered between BKK and SIN. The dessert choices inadvertedly seem very asian. I mean, balck rice with coconut milk. I've seen fellow westerners give a frown without even trying it. Once during a Chinese New Year flight, SQ decided to change the menu without telling its passengers.. the menu certainly didn't reflect what it served. So on a Sinagpore to London flight it offered ...

Yu Shen
Raw shredded fish mixed with nutmegs, ginger and vegetables salad.
(This dish is offered to people in restaurants during Chinese New Year for luck) But even I don't really like it much..

Main course... usual offerings...

Dessert was:
Lychee Soup in Chinese Medicinal stock...
(Now this stank.. and I mean it stank of Chinese medicial herbs... even for my sensitive Chinese nose!) I ate it... because it reminded me of going to my Third aunts house in my childhood days and subjected to eating this gruel during Chinese New Year and I remember holding my nose to it...

But the dish was well, left untouched by almost every Westerner...

Now if SQ wants to offer something like that... perhaps with choices? But actually no, SQ only offers F and J passengers ONE dessert choice. I mean, how about even some Almond Jelly? That would have sufficed.

If SQ wants to remain an asian airline subjecting its F/As to wear asian-like uniforms, then it shouldn't be embarrassed of its local food offerings....

Okay, just as long as it doesn't serve durian cream puffs...
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:43 am
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
=Yu Shen
Raw shredded fish mixed with nutmegs, ginger and vegetables salad.
(This dish is offered to people in restaurants during Chinese New Year for luck) But even I don't really like it much..

I LOVE this - half of the fun is mixing it yourself when served, but to me it is one of the treats of the lunar new year

However, I need to agree that most Westerners are idiots when it comes to Asian food - most of the time they want steak!!!!!
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
The FOOD is the main reason that I visit Singapore. Singaporeans are really spoiled when it comes to eating. I love eating in the food courts and hawker centers, and the food is cheap. I wish we had choices like that here in the US!
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guy Betsy, I think you have a point about desserts - along with breakfast they are the times when home cuisine is best.

I've never had Yu Shen - but I would love to try it.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
yummmm...i'll be in S'pore over this weekend (Nov 19th to 21st) if anyone wants to go eat local. It's always better if you have more than 1 person as you get more variety...
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:42 pm

I make the yu sheng with smoked salmon. I like sashimi salmon, but I cannot get sushi-grade salmon, and ordering take-out sashimi from a Japanese restaurant would be expensive. I guess Laksa should be made a inflight choice. But I don't fancy Laksa much, as I find the coconut milk in it to be a bit powering at times, and it just isn't right for my tastebuds.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:59 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Yu sheng is a chinese new year delicacy... you would have met your fish salad quota after 15 days of "lo-hei" or tossing the salad.

Love living in Singapore, how you can get by with $3 one-dish dinners.. and wonderful glorious food. Of course, we Singaporeans keep our best food secrets to ourselves.. but this Singaporean will gladly share after a bottle of Krug..
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:02 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Heck, I'm cheap. I share for a bottle of Veuve Clicquot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.