Wiki Posts
Search

SQ 15000 mile award

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2004, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

SQ 15000 mile award

Hi everyone,
I have a question. I have 16,000 orphan SQ miles (my main *A account is US Air). I know that they expire after three years- mine in Feb 2007. I could throw in 10,000 more miles for a 25,000 NA award, but next Feb I'm fliying from EWR-SIN, stopping in SIN for almost three days, and then flying to TPE to see my family, back to JFK on UA.
Here's the question: where can I fly to on SQ for 15,000 miles round trip that is a worthwile destination- I know they have this award available. This is my first time to SIN. How many days shoud I spend there, I was thinking 1 day and using the award to go to some resort in Malaysia? Anyone have any recommendations?
Or, do you think Singapore has enough interesting things for a first timer and I'm being too rushed and should forget about the miles and enjoy my time in Singapore? Just for background, I work about 65 hours a week and only have three weeks of vacation a year so I don't want to spend all of my vacation hurrying from one place to another. I'm a single guy from New York and like big cities but I also like resorts and cultural stuff too. I love to travel and will probably come back to SIN again in the future.
Any ideas on where to go/ stay would be appreciated.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:19 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Best option is to head to Bali for a few days. Beats going to KL or Penang by far.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
Here's the question: where can I fly to on SQ for 15,000 miles round trip that is a worthwile destination- I know they have this award available.
Bali (Denpasar)
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
SIA is having a 15% discount promotion for redemption online. So if you can throw in another 5,250 miles, you can redeem a roundtrip ticket to either Thailand, Philippines or Vietnam. Lots of options there to do some relaxation, shopping and cultural stuff especially in Thailand.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Didnt realise Fimo also suggested Bali just 3 mins ahead of me !

I once redeemed a return ticket online for KUL-SIN-DPS but had to call SQ to process payment for airport taxes since there was something wrong with their online payment at that time. I didnt receive the 15% discount eventhough everything was done online except for the final payment which was no fault of mine.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 3:30 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
bali denpasar definetely.... NUSA DUA BEACH :-)
Old Nov 10, 2004, 9:43 am
Original Poster

for one day?

thanks for the tips everyone- but part of my original question, is there enough stuff in Singapore for me to see in two and a half days? Is flying out in the morning to one of these places and flying back the next evening too rushed? Keep in mind I only have one weeks' vacation. I am thinking about spending half of a day in Singapore, never been there, or am I better off saving my trip to Singapore for a later date and spending the whole 2.5 days in Indonesia? I'm only 30 years old and will hopefully be traveling more to Southeast Asia in the coming years.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:53 am

thanks for the tips everyone- but part of my original question, is there enough stuff in Singapore for me to see in two and a half days? Is flying out in the morning to one of these places and flying back the next evening too rushed? Keep in mind I only have one weeks' vacation. I am thinking about spending half of a day in Singapore, never been there, or am I better off saving my trip to Singapore for a later date and spending the whole 2.5 days in Indonesia? I'm only 30 years old and will hopefully be traveling more to Southeast Asia in the coming years.
OK, I'm going to answer your original question.
I love S'pore: one of the best place in the world i think.

Interesting places:
Fort Canning (city )
Raffles Hotel (city )
Chijmes (city )
S'pore History Museum (city)
Little India (and the two temples, opened only at some times).
China Town & Thian Hock Keng Temple
Clark Quay (close to the river, beautiful place for eating or drinking smthg)
Sentosa Island (a lot of attractions... you can reach it from Mt. Faber and come back with ferry or bus to Harbour Front)
Changi Village (located at changi)
Marina Bay (city center)
S'pore discovery center (MRT stop: BOON LAY... a beautiful museum)
Jurong Bird PArk (i didn't see it but a friend of mine told me it's very interesting)
Zoo & Night Safari (it's located close to Choa Chu Kang)
Shooping at Orchard Road (a lot of Comm. center)

Bye
Old Nov 10, 2004, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

thanks paffendorf

Hi everyone,
How long will it take to see all of the sights that paffendorf has described? Am I better off spending the whole time in singapore, or is it worth it to use my 15000 miles to go to indonesia for 2 days and then spend six hours walking around singapore? Or should I spend my whole time in indonesia? Keep in mind, I only have one week of vacation; my 15,000 miles are valid until Feb 2007 and I may not be able to otherwise use them.
I take it that X fares (frequent flyer tickets) can't be upgraded or else I could use the 15000 miles to upgrade sin-tpe?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:53 pm

Hi everyone,
How long will it take to see all of the sights that paffendorf has described? Am I better off spending the whole time in singapore, or is it worth it to use my 15000 miles to go to indonesia for 2 days and then spend six hours walking around singapore? Or should I spend my whole time in indonesia? Keep in mind, I only have one week of vacation; my 15,000 miles are valid until Feb 2007 and I may not be able to otherwise use them.
I take it that X fares (frequent flyer tickets) can't be upgraded or else I could use the 15000 miles to upgrade sin-tpe?

Thanks again.
you have not necessary to see all things i mentioned.
The time you need for is strcitly connected with transport way you choose (i suggest you taxi (it's fast, comfy and cheap!)... the other great problem... Singapore has a very equatorial wheater, usually not too much loved bu europeans & US citizens. Temperature average is about 29 degrees: no significally changes between summer / winter or day /ni ght (i'm quite sure s'poreans doesn't know what is a COAT!!). BTW, wheather is very very humid. It's very difficult for a person to go round and around by walking for all the during of the day.
consider 1 day for sentosa and its attractions.... 1 day for shopping and 1 day for city center.
Another great experience is night safari: it takes about 3 hours.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 5:09 am

Good lord, please stay away from Sentosa. Talk about an overpriced, tacky, tourist trap.

Do the night safari, Chinatown, Little India, Jurong Bird Park and some Orchard Road shopping.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by fimo
Good lord, please stay away from Sentosa. Talk about an overpriced, tacky, tourist trap.

Do the night safari, Chinatown, Little India, Jurong Bird Park and some Orchard Road shopping.
ehm
i went to sentosa on december last time.... it was not so expensive!!!:P
Old Nov 11, 2004, 9:51 am

Overpriced does not mean that it's expensive. Just means that it's overpriced.

I live in Singapore and they try to reinvent the damn island every year, and it's still a tacky tourist destination no matter how much money they throw at it.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 6:32 pm

I also have around 12,000 orphan miles on SQ. If I stay any hotel in US and choose to get sq miles, can I keep all of my miles for another 3 years? or it will expire per transaction basis? Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:48 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by priceline
I also have around 12,000 orphan miles on SQ. If I stay any hotel in US and choose to get sq miles, can I keep all of my miles for another 3 years? or it will expire per transaction basis? Thanks
Your KrisFlyer points will expire 3 years (at the end of the quarter) from the date of activity. You can view the expiring date of your miles on your statement or online if you have a PIN. The additional miles from your hotel stay will be valid for the next 3 years while your existing miles will expire as per what is listed on your statement.

However, you can choose to extend the expiry of your miles by paying a fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.