Last minute F award availability???

Old Oct 21, 04, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Last minute F award availability???

OK, I know SQ is as stingy as well.. we all know, but reading these forums over the years I've been led to believe SQ can sometimes open up O inventory fairly close to the date of travel when it's clear they won't sell the F seats.

What I was wondering is what people's experiences have been in this regard in terms of how long before inventory might open up? Of course, I want a real easy route like SIN-LHR (!) to open (heck, I'd take SIN-anywhere in europe flown in a 744 but I don't think UA would bite in terms of then getting me to LHR on LH/OS/SK etc). Anyway, that's a bit off the point.

The flights in particular I am looking at are in the next 2 weeks. There was some I inventory, but I (perhaps foolishly) decided not to opt for it (since I could only get TG C on the way back) and thought while the trip is purely for pleasure, if I'm going to fork out >100k miles, I want it to be for SQ F.

So, what do folks think? As usual ITN shows P4 F4 A4 on various sectors, but we know that really says nothing.

Comments with the benefit of experience would be welcome (or should I just give up?)
Old Oct 21, 04, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Our experiences mean nothing. As each airline partner are only given a certain number of award seats by SQ. But generally I think LH has been the one to be able to access SQ's inventory best. I had to change an award flight on the DAY before departure and LH managed to confirm the seat. The flight was quite full too.

I don't know if extra "O" inventory is released to other airlines closer to dsparture as I mentioned above, each airline only has so many given to them.

But knowing SQ, they'd rather leave the seat empty rather than even selling it as an award.
Old Oct 22, 04, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Looks like I can answer my own question!

I had a "feeling" and called UA just before they closed res here... what do you know? 1 F seat had opened up, so I now have a confirmed booking for LHR-SIN-MEL (SIN-MEL is operated in a 773, which is disappointing, but at least I'll get the full F experience on LHR-SIN ). TG F going over which I'm not so wild about, but hey... beggers can't be choosers. I also had the option of SQ C, but I figured if I'm going to go the whole hog, and knowing how difficult F is to secure, I said I'll take that thanks and hold it while I decide.

I am happy (and excited!).
Old Oct 22, 04, 5:09 am

Programs: SQ TPP25, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
TG F going over which I'm not so wild about, but hey... beggers can't be choosers. I also had the option of SQ C, but I figured if I'm going to go the whole hog, and knowing how difficult F is to secure, I said I'll take that thanks and hold it while I decide.

I am happy (and excited!).
Why SQ C vs. TG F? For award bookings, wouldn't it be the same class (i.e., SQ F)? Pardon me if I am missing anything here.

I would put a waitlist for SQ F returning if I were you.

Congrats on getting the F seats LHR-SIN-MEL! ^
Old Oct 22, 04, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Well, you can't waitlist on Star awards (this is UA miles I'm using) which is a bugger. Obviously, there's no SQ F going out or i would have taken it, but the other option was SQ C both MEL-LHR & LHR-MEL, or even OS C MEL-SIN-VIE-LHR with SQ C back, or the TG F option.

I was considering seeing if I could do SQ C going to SIN then somehow connect to BKK to grab the TG F flight, but I think SQ C (non spacebed 777) wouldn't be woth it vs TG F (but then again it is a M11 with crappy old seats). However the SQ LHR-SIN is the main gem that I wanted, so I am happy to "slum" it in TG F on the way over
Old Oct 22, 04, 11:56 am

Programs: SQ TPP25, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
I was considering seeing if I could do SQ C going to SIN then somehow connect to BKK to grab the TG F flight, but I think SQ C (non spacebed 777) wouldn't be woth it vs TG F (but then again it is a M11 with crappy old seats).
I would definitely try to get SQ C MEL-SIN-BKK then TG F BKK-LHR, assuming TG flight is a B744. You might be able to sleep better on TG F on MD11, but if you are going to stay awake, SQ C (non-spacebed) is way better, IMHO.
Old Oct 22, 04, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat
From my experience, including a recent trip from SIN to ICN, SQ does open up F inventory within a few days of flights with light loads. I was able to confirm space within 2-7 days using UA Mileage Plus award inventory. On the outbound, all seats were full except three; on the return, I was the only passenger--both on the "Jumbos".
Old Oct 25, 04, 7:54 am
Original Poster

It sure seems that way. Over the past 2 days F opened up on outbound sectors to the point I had a choice of 3 flights on the day I wanted all in F. I now have confirmed F on all flights and am a very happy camper

Search this Thread
Search Engine: