Wiki Posts
Search

SQ flights in Y class, some observations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
SQ flights in Y class, some observations

I've taken 8 SQ flights in Y class in the past few weeks. Some observations when flying Y class on SQ

The Good:
SQ staff at Melbourne airport are consistently the best I have encountered when travelling on SQ.
Travelling on SQ's 777s is not too bad in Y class. Better that the 747s in my opinion.
Being Star Gold usually gets you your requested seat type (aisle, window, exit row).
In flight service and entertainment, let's face it - it is Y class, is really pretty good.
Pretty good meals with generous servings.

The Bad:
When I checked-in at HKG for two flights: HKG-SIN and SIN-MEL, I received as usual both boarding passes. I noted that on the SIN-MEL flight, departing in about 6 hours time, I had been allocated the last row on a full 747. Check-in staff at HKG said it's 'impossible' to change my seat - as the flight was full. But hold on... with no pre-allocated seating possible in Y class (only a seat type) am I to believe that every passenger had checked-in 6 hours before the flight? The HKG check-in agent claimed he could only 'telex' my request of a seat change to the gate in SIN. Did the check-in agent tell me the truth?

The Ugly:
Full 747 overnight SIN-MEL (well full in Y and J for sure). And I get stuck with my last row seat. OK, I had wait-listed for this flight, so I knew it would be pretty full. Shortly into the flight lots of passengers are milling around the back and lines form in the aisles. My seat gets used as a leaning post and there is lots of talking (meaning no sleep for me). It turns out that the 4 rear toilets are all blocked and crew eventually direct passengers to the forward ones. Not a good situation on a full 747! But no announcement is made, so passengers continue to head to the back. Note there is no galley down the back and only from time-to-time does a crew member come back to redirect the waiting passengers. I noticed that the curtain to business class stayed firmly closed, so no relief from there. I thought the situation would lead to chaos knowing the queues that form even when all toilets are working, but the passengers seemed not to be bothered much.

Overall I thought SQ in Y has improved a bit. Maybe it's just me ...
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:05 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Austman,

Sorry to learn about the unpleasant experience SIN-MEL.
Were you travelling alone? If you were, I find it weird that SQ can not re-assign you another seat, even if the flight is totally booked. After all, you checked in several hours in advance.
The only worse situation I can imagine than what you experienced was when I travelled Y (at the very back of the B744) SIN-SFO at a time when smoking was still allowed. Talk about second-hand smoking.

But yes, I find SQ's B777 Y seats (the older ones without AVOD) are much better than the B744's.
Food is okay and IFE is excellent.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:27 am

On my recent PEK-SIN flight, we were assigned the very last row (middle section) of the 777-200. I was apprehensive at first about it, but it was great! You could recline fully without anyone at the back disturbing you, Pitch was the same, the galley was just behind you which gave you easy access to snacks, drinks and a whole bunch of nice singapore girls and boys to make small talk with!!

Ever since my mum left SQ in 2000, I have never stepped on First and J class (It used to be a way of life ) Oh wait. I was upgraded once from LHR to SIN to J class in July 2002. It was wonderful cos the flight was stuck on the ground for 2 hours!

I notice cuts in catering. Not substantial cuts and I doubt most pax would even know nor care. eg for "refreshment" in Y SQ only serves sandwiches/croissants/pita bread. I noticed it on my Refreshment service from Brisbane.

SIN-PEK's 0120 departure doesn't even have proper trays for refreshments. Crew walk around with baskets of fruit and all sorts of snacks and nibbles and you just help yourself. But I gather at 0120 most people just wanna sleep and don't want an elaborate supper service or anything of the sort!

In the 1998-2001 days, SQ used to serve hot food for refreshment. It usually was a plate of noodles, pasta or a hot tuna sandwich. Guess they've cut that out!

Normal meals like Lunch, Dinner and Supper seem the same to me as the pre SARS days. We still get at least one Int'l Culinary Panel dish per flight.

Compared to the competition, SQ is still ahead, but the gap is narrowing, no doubt. However to China, SQ is miles ahead of the competition which is why SQ basically charges what it likes to China (Their cheapest fare with a billion restrictions is still about 20% higher than the average fare of Chinese Airlines) and still fills the planes.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 3:47 am

Programs: SQ, HHonors, Priority Club
Austman,

My guess as to why you could not change yr seat was because seat assignment control was under SIN and not HKG. My colleague was in a similar situation earlier this week where he could not change as seat assignment control was not in that station's 'hands'.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Sorry to hear that Austman, sounds like the worst SQ experience on board. I once was on a flight from HKG to SFO on SQ and a fight almost broke out due to seat pitch, passenger A pushed his seat back all the way and Passenger B kept pushing it from the back. And don't you just hate the groups that form and start chatting as if they were in a bar ? It was awful.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood,
Emergency exit seats in the 747-400 are very
nice for legroom, but a gaggle did congregate from time to
time in the 8 x 8 area. On the plus and negative side,
the seats near the galley granted quick access to the bar and extra meals, but was a little more busy with traffic.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I once was on a flight from HKG to SFO on SQ and a fight almost broke out due to seat pitch, passenger A pushed his seat back all the way and Passenger B kept pushing it from the back.
Isnt it passenger A's right to have his seat fully reclined (except during take off/ landing and meal times ) ?

The thing I hate most in Y is not the seat nor the meals, but the attitude of some fellow passengers. Unfortunately I travel mostly in Y
Old Oct 16, 2004, 9:45 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Just FYI, SQ is handled by QF in MEL, so apart from one or tewo supervisor types, the MEL staff is Qantas...

As for SQ in Y. I agree, the 777 seats are better, but it's a pity they seem to not be able to do something with the IFE boxes which reduce legroom.

Just a tip on the seating that I have found works - since SQ open web check-in 48 hours prior to departure, you can phone check-in as well.. or at least phone in and ask for a seat. I had forward seats assigned, and got row 34 for MEL-SIN and SIN-HKG just last month when I called around 40 hours prior to departure. The seats were honoured when I checked in.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:32 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Doesn't last row window on a 747 give you extra room near the window and fewer seats to the row, due to the curvature inward of the plane towards the tail? If so, those would be two advantages to being in the last row!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.