Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Excited First Timer Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Excited First Timer Questions

Well, I finally get to try SQ, after years of longing. I'm flying FRA-JFK in J in November (after getting off UA!). I've booked me an upper deck window seat, but I have a few questions:

1. Agent asked me about Book the Cook. I looked at the choices, and none of them seems scintillating -- but is there any way to know what the regular choices will be so I can decide which I'll prefer? Is there a usual pattern at least (e.g. always one beef, one fish one veg or something...?)

2. SQ website says lounge for this flight only is the RCC. Will they let me use a LH lounge instead? Or is it because of gates?

3. Any other suggestions to maximize enjoyment?
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Well, I finally get to try SQ, after years of longing. I'm flying FRA-JFK in J in November (after getting off UA!). I've booked me an upper deck window seat, but I have a few questions:

1. Agent asked me about Book the Cook. I looked at the choices, and none of them seems scintillating -- but is there any way to know what the regular choices will be so I can decide which I'll prefer? Is there a usual pattern at least (e.g. always one beef, one fish one veg or something...?)

2. SQ website says lounge for this flight only is the RCC. Will they let me use a LH lounge instead? Or is it because of gates?

3. Any other suggestions to maximize enjoyment?
Congrats on your first SQ trip... there's a first time for everything and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially if you are used to the harsh truth of the US or European carriers.

With regards to Book the Cook, of course there's no need per se, to book a choice. But what you could always do is book what sounds the best so far, then if something looks much better in-flight on the main menu, they will gladly let you have that main course instead - it's not a case of Book the Cook = forgoing the choice in-flight.

That said, unlike some other airlines SQ do not make their menus available prior to the flight, so you will have to go on the flight to see what the choices are.

Regarding lounges, having never been to JFK I can't say for sure, but at least according to Star Alliance policy, you will be able to access any (well, most) Star Alliance Business Class lounge. If you are Star Gold, you will also be able to access some lounges (such as LH Senator lounges) that a "mere" Business Class boarding pass will not be able to.

Finally, with regards to the seat assignment, it has been debated pretty much to death already, but my personal preference goes for anything in the bulkhead or emergency exit - that means, on a 747-400, rows 11, 17 and 21. The fact that there is no seat in front of you means a lot when it's a full flight and you are trying to get out of your seat, without doing a dodgy leg-over-person circus-like maneuvure
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:16 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Agree with stargold re Book the Cook. Order something you fancy and if the in-flight menu looks better you can pick one from that instead.

If you can, get 17A or K as these are the upper deck exit rows. They are 'supposed' to be for PPS pax only but many times non-PPS pax have managed to get them anyway.

From my limited experience of the FRA lounges I would stick with the RCC. The last time I was in there it was quiet and very enjoyable, whereas the SEN lounges were horribly overcrowded.

If you're used to UA I think you might well enjoy the SQ experience .
Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Thanks guys. I'm hugely looking forward to it. Expectations really high, but from all accounts they'll be met. On United in contrast, my expectations are so low they're often exceeded.

I asked for 17, but it wasn't available. It's a Tuesday, so I'm hoping the flight will be fairly empty -- and I'll make sure not to shower to discourage anyone from taking my adjacent seat. I do love the upper deck.

And I'll go ahead and book a cook. If I'll still have the regular choice, guess there's nothing to lose.

I have *Gold, but still bear wounds from a previous attempt to enter a LH lounge when there wasn't one single seat in the RCC.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:06 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Congrats. on your maiden SQ voyage. Please be warned that SQ in premium cabins tends to become addictive...
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Yes, but it is a good addiction.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:39 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Absolutely correct, Gaucho!!!
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I wish they'd fly to IAD so I could have more opportunities -- and they could make big profits from this very lucrative, high-yield market (hint, hint...).

I'm starting to worry that the flight won't be long enough. Here's hoping for lots of circling....
Old Oct 15, 2004, 5:41 pm

I wish they'd fly to IAD so I could have more opportunities -- and they could make big profits from this very lucrative, high-yield market (hint, hint...).

I'm starting to worry that the flight won't be long enough. Here's hoping for lots of circling....
At least BD is supposed to be very good, and you only have to transit once (At MAN). Maybe worth giving a try?
Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Congrats. on your maiden SQ voyage. Please be warned that SQ in premium cabins tends to become addictive...

How true!
Old Oct 16, 2004, 8:58 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
I second that. I wish any *A Asian carrier will fly to IAD (ANA is yucky in J old-style). Then again, they'd probably go to ORD (huge UA hub) before they come here. One can always hope

In Frankfurt, you should be able to use both LH and UA lounges. I think the UA lounge is inconvenient to the SQ gates though (different security areas) but I'm not sure. LH lounges are everywhere.

SpaceBeds are dreamy
Old Oct 16, 2004, 9:05 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I like the UA lounge much more and it's just a 10 min walk from the LH gate areas if you're reasonably fit and a fast walker.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by blueDC

In Frankfurt, you should be able to use both LH and UA lounges. I think the UA lounge is inconvenient to the SQ gates though (different security areas) but I'm not sure. LH lounges are everywhere.
As the OP stated that he was flying FRA - JFK - in fact the UA red carpet lounge will be the only usable lounge, as the SQ flight to JFK departs from the C pier - meaning that the UA RCC is the only one accesable once one has passed additional US - destination flights security checks.

To access any LH lounges - you would after the lounge have to be screened and that could make timing difficult as to when one should go through - not to miss the flight.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Oct 17, 2004, 7:54 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Gaucho100K ain't lying After 2 sectors on SQ I couldn't wait to book another award trip on SQ I've now got a 6 sector trip booked on SQ
Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:51 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tcswede
As the OP stated that he was flying FRA - JFK - in fact the UA red carpet lounge will be the only usable lounge, as the SQ flight to JFK departs from the C pier - meaning that the UA RCC is the only one accesable once one has passed additional US - destination flights security checks.

To access any LH lounges - you would after the lounge have to be screened and that could make timing difficult as to when one should go through - not to miss the flight.

Cheers

Thomas
Thomas is correct as always! I flew FRA-JFK last time, and after finished check-in, the agent mentioned to me for this flight it is advisable to use the RCC. And you, the line going through the x-ray was quiet long because of many flights going to the US.

Regarding the menu on board, I took this flight in the summer, so may be this time the menu will change, but at least you will have an idea.

BRUNCH: Choices of juice, fresh fruit, and pineapple-coconut mousse for dessert. The main course were:
-Chicken sausage with leek-potatoes and tomato coulis
-Indonesian beef curry, spicy cabbage and jasmine rice
-Crepe with scrambled egg, oven glazed tomato, mushrooms and potatoes

LIGHT MEAL: Tuna carpaccio with vegetable julienne and wasabi cream (to start) and iced petit fours with berry coulis (dessert). The main course:
-Sirloin in natural jus, spinach custard, baby carrot and potato puree
-Thai style red prawns with spicy vegetables and steamed rice
-Roast duckling in orange sauce with seasonal vegetables and potatoes.

Enjoy your flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.