Is Raffles class worth it?

Old Oct 1, 04, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Is Raffles class worth it?

While this looks like a really dumb question, I am curious...

I am flying the Newark-SIN nonstop. I have done this in exec economy in the past. It was bearable compared with regular economy on the old routes.
I have a travel policy that allows business class in certain cases, this being one of them. Obviously Raffles would be a better choice, but if we are talking $1300 for econ versus something closer to 4 or 5k for biz, is it worth the price difference? I'm not sure, but the powers that be may say Raffles is too expensive no matter what the policy is. (they have done this in the past)
Old Oct 1, 04, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
In my view, its always an impossible challenge to 'justify' the 'real worth' of business travel in J vs. Y. I just think its a sterile argument.... I mean, is the extra space, amenities and perks something that is noticeable? Surely. Does it make the journey better, more comfortable? Of course. Will you tell the difference....? You can bet the line that divides your rear end in half you surely will notice a difference.

Now.... does the fact that J costs 3 times more than Y justify the extra expense....? In $$$$$$ terms, I doubt it. You and/or your company could find a zillion proyects that would give you/your company better returns than the delta spent on Business Class. I dont even buy the argument of jet lag and non productive periods after long flights in steerage.... its all a mind thing.

But hey.... this is coming from someone that cries like a baby everytime I have to slum it in coach, so.... what do I know....?

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Oct 1, 04 at 5:11 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 1, 04, 4:56 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes - what gaucho said ^
Old Oct 1, 04, 9:46 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
It certainly is subjective and as Gaucho points out very difficult to rationalize from a financial POV.

Is it worth it? For me, if it's a 4 or 5 hour+ flight, it is, even when I am travelling on my own dime. Of course I would have answered differently a few years ago when I was a student or fresh out of school. Could I survive 16+ hours in Exec Y? Of course. I assume I would be reasonably physically comfortable, but for me the real torture would be mental--just thinking of everything I was missing by not sitting up front!
Old Oct 1, 04, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

It is worth it if the $$ will not make any difference to you. The food and service are not remarkable. The difference in comfort is, IMHO, the biggest difference; the difference that makes work the next day bearable. I paid about 8+K to travel from LAX to Nairobi in FC. This was about a 24 hr flt and I was over 50 . Being over 50 always helps justify the difference in cost and class. Having said that, I don't remember much about the flights, but I will never forget the safari and the little ship which took me to the Seychelles. I, ultimately, find that flights are forgettable.(unless you flew on the Çoncorde)
Old Oct 2, 04, 12:41 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by obscure2k
The food and service are not remarkable.
Actually, for me, the difference in food and service between SQ J and Y, is an important factor. And of course the comfort makes a big difference as well for the long flights.
Old Oct 2, 04, 6:20 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Interesting question.........personally I would not bother if it was SYD SIN. However, if i was flying SYD SIN CPT, most definently. The food is not remarkable but the comfort aspect makes it well worthwhile and having a shower at SIN en route is heaven.
Old Oct 2, 04, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Originally Posted by rbrenton88
While this looks like a really dumb question, I am curious...

I am flying the Newark-SIN nonstop. I have done this in exec economy in the past. It was bearable compared with regular economy on the old routes.
I have a travel policy that allows business class in certain cases, this being one of them. Obviously Raffles would be a better choice, but if we are talking $1300 for econ versus something closer to 4 or 5k for biz, is it worth the price difference? I'm not sure, but the powers that be may say Raffles is too expensive no matter what the policy is. (they have done this in the past)
I did the same route in raffles a fortnight ago and feel (personally) that the difference between raffles and econ is probably the least on this flight. the only benefit (put a $ value on it) is that you could possibly get your regular 7-8 hrs of sleep (the only time I ever slept this long on a SIN flight from the US). But this would negate the benefits of better food on Raffles. The seats in Raffles were less comfortable than expected and a conversation with the raffles FA revealed that he and many others felt economy was better "value" on this specific flight
Old Oct 3, 04, 10:55 am

Programs: Free at last!
Originally Posted by MilesAndMore
I did the same route in raffles a fortnight ago and feel (personally) that the difference between raffles and econ is probably the least on this flight. the only benefit (put a $ value on it) is that you could possibly get your regular 7-8 hrs of sleep (the only time I ever slept this long on a SIN flight from the US). But this would negate the benefits of better food on Raffles. The seats in Raffles were less comfortable than expected and a conversation with the raffles FA revealed that he and many others felt economy was better "value" on this specific flight
I concur. I have flown SIN-LAX in both Raffles and Exec Econ and I would not pay a large premium for Raffles. That said, both of my flights in Exec Econ have been mid week with the seat open next to me. I think if I were to fly as a "single" in a full Raffles class and not be in the middle section, I'd feel quite put out.
Old Oct 3, 04, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
In my opinion, the right way to approach the question is to ask yourself, if you were the owner of the company: Would it be worth it to you the owner to have the employee who holds your current position fly in C?
Old Oct 3, 04, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I think it boils down one thing, if money is not a concern, then by all means go Raffles as that is a very long flight. Those perks in Raffles will be much appreacated.
Old Oct 3, 04, 3:48 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Arrow

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I think it boils down one thing, if money is not a concern, then by all means go Raffles as that is a very long flight. Those perks in Raffles will be much appreacated.
Forgive me, but if money is not a concern, then one should travel in First.
Old Oct 3, 04, 3:53 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
... except on those routes where F isnt offered.
Old Oct 3, 04, 3:55 pm

LAX-TPE Bizclass ?

Originally Posted by MovieMan
It certainly is subjective and as Gaucho points out very difficult to rationalize from a financial POV.

Is it worth it? For me, if it's a 4 or 5 hour+ flight, it is, even when I am travelling on my own dime. Of course I would have answered differently a few years ago when I was a student or fresh out of school. Could I survive 16+ hours in Exec Y? Of course. I assume I would be reasonably physically comfortable, but for me the real torture would be mental--just thinking of everything I was missing by not sitting up front!
Hi Movieman.
THanks for the advice. I've never traveled with Singapore but have wanted toand wanted to get some feedback? THey have a good biz class RT fare into SEA to TPE. My final stop being BKK, it was easy to book a seperate RT fare with Eva. I normally travel with Oneworld but this year have the luxury of qualifying for EXP early so I can try another airline without jeapordizing my status.
I'm still considering changing my booking to Cathay thru HKG or American thru NRT as I'm reading less then glowing things about Singapore all the time. But then keep seeing that they're the world's #1 in every survey. I'm also reading bad things about TPE airport as well.
What are your or others' thoughts? Anything appreciated.
Cheers, Ramondo
Old Oct 3, 04, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Forgive me, but if money is not a concern, then one should travel in First.
Forgive me Gaucho100K but I did not know that EWR-SIN nonstop has First, my apologies.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: