FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   PPS run - does such a thing exist? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/357002-pps-run-does-such-thing-exist.html)

Nitrox Oct 30, 2005 7:40 am

Originally Posted by shortfinals
Yes. although if you structured it carefully you could get 15 instead of 12.5

Thanks for your help :)

When you say 'structured' do you mean add in an additional stop somewhere or fly in F ?

CGK Oct 30, 2005 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
Would it be possible to do a PPS run on a CRTWSTAR1?

I would like to do CPH-SIN-TPE-NRT-ICN-PVG-SIN-LAX-JFK-FRA-CPH which is approx 29k using great circle mapper. How many segments would this be (how do you calculate it?).

CPH-SIN 6193 3.75 sectors
SIN-TPE 2002 1.25 sectors
PVG-SIN 2357 1.25 sectors
SIN-LAX 8763 5
JFK-FRA 3847 2.5 sectors
Total sectors earned 13.75.
CPH-SIN just short from the 5 sectors earning (6214 miles being the border).

For SIN-LAX, if you take nonstop, you have to pay a surcharge. You can do SIN-HKG-SFO-LAX (which total still below 29,000 miles), and you will gain 1.25 sectors for SIN-HKG (HKG-SFO will get you 5 like SIN-LAX). Total 15 sectors.

Bjornstrom Oct 30, 2005 8:06 am

Originally Posted by CGK
CPH-SIN 6193 3.75 sectors
SIN-TPE 2002 1.25 sectors
PVG-SIN 2357 1.25 sectors
SIN-LAX 8763 5
JFK-FRA 3847 2.5 sectors
Total sectors earned 13.75.
CPH-SIN just short from the 5 sectors earning (6214 miles being the border).

For SIN-LAX, if you take nonstop, you have to pay a surcharge. You can do SIN-HKG-SFO-LAX (which total still below 29,000 miles), and you will gain 1.25 sectors for SIN-HKG (HKG-SFO will get you 5 like SIN-LAX). Total 15 sectors.

Thanks! I'd like to try the A345 service SIN-LAX, would you recommend it?

Any other recommendations to reach the holy 25 sectors?
(maybe a additional CMB-SIN-LAX?)

shortfinals Oct 30, 2005 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Nitrox
Thanks for your help :)

When you say 'structured' do you mean add in an additional stop somewhere or fly in F ?

No - instead of taking SQ 2 SIN-HKG-SFO you could go SIN-HKG on SQ866 to connect to SQ2 HKG-SFO. That nets you 1.25 CMB-SIN, 1.25 SIN-HKG and 5 HKG-SFO for a total of 7.5 instead of CMB-SIN 1.25, SIN-SFO for 5 = 6.25

shortfinals Oct 30, 2005 8:21 am

One good place to look is always silkair.com

Last month they had specials to all over in business class.

I found a fare to SOC - Solo City for 639SGD, which includes tax. Not a bad going rate for 2.5 quick sectors, if you just need to top up.

That particular fare is gone, but they do have them from time to time - so check there.

Nitrox Oct 30, 2005 8:32 am

No - instead of taking SQ 2 SIN-HKG-SFO you could go SIN-HKG on SQ866 to connect to SQ2 HKG-SFO. That nets you 1.25 CMB-SIN, 1.25 SIN-HKG and 5 HKG-SFO for a total of 7.5 instead of CMB-SIN 1.25, SIN-SFO for 5 = 6.25

Thanks.

Next question; how do I go about booking this ? I've tried the stopover/multi city thing on the SQ website but it doesn't work for me; keeps coming back with errors !! Any ideas ?? :)

CGK Oct 30, 2005 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
Thanks! I'd like to try the A345 service SIN-LAX, would you recommend it?

Any other recommendations to reach the holy 25 sectors?
(maybe a additional CMB-SIN-LAX?)

If you go back to post 146 & 147 there are the examples of CRTW3 that gets you 30 PPS sectors. I know you have to be in certain cities in certain times. But certainly, by going higher than CRTW1, the chance to earn more PPS sectors is possible.

I am sure another FTers can give you better recommendation regarding SIN-LAX on A345. I have not done it since I did the SIN-LAX-SIN inaugural flights in 2004.

Savage25 Oct 30, 2005 4:05 pm

Thanks.

Next question; how do I go about booking this ? I've tried the stopover/multi city thing on the SQ website but it doesn't work for me; keeps coming back with errors !! Any ideas ?? :)

I've been having the same problem with the SQ website. The multi-city option on travelocity or expedia works well.

Nitrox Oct 31, 2005 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Savage25
I've been having the same problem with the SQ website. The multi-city option on travelocity or expedia works well.

Thanks. I've been trying using Expedia but it only lets you put 5 flights in and I have 6 !! Also, I thought ex CMB fares in C were (relatively) cheap !! I can get ex CMB-SFO return on SQ website for a pretty decent price, but I want to add some stopovers etc to maximise sectors ;) but it won't play ball !

zvezda Oct 31, 2005 12:33 pm

Thanks. I've been trying using Expedia but it only lets you put 5 flights in and I have 6 !! Also, I thought ex CMB fares in C were (relatively) cheap !! I can get ex CMB-SFO return on SQ website for a pretty decent price, but I want to add some stopovers etc to maximise sectors ;) but it won't play ball !

A stopover will invoke the HIP check and increase your fare. Try to keep your transfers to 23 hours 59 minutes or less.

Savage25 Oct 31, 2005 5:40 pm

What zvezda said about the stopovers...

I asked a question on Travelbuzz a while ago on whether there were any options for putting in more flight segments in Expedia/Travelocity - didn't seem to be any. But I found this works for booking C tickets:

Travelocity:
Choose multi-city CMB-SIN, SIN-SFO vv. It will give you options of different flight numbers between SIN-HKG/ICN and HKG/ICN-SFO

Expedia.co.uk:
Choose multi-city CMB-HKG, HKG-SFO to get different flight numbers SIN-HKG and HKG-SFO. Haven't tried ICN.

Expedia.com:
Don't use it much, but I assume the same strategy as its uk cousin would work, except that you can't select SQ as your preferred airline.

I've found that if you select F and have a change in flight numbers between SIN and SFO, all these websites will return a higher basis (~$7000+), even though a TA will be able to issue the ticket at the lower fare basis (~$3300).

yyzprincess Oct 31, 2005 7:18 pm

With the rule changes any Travel Agent can book that routing.
My TA in USA did a similiar booking.
CMB-SAN UA
SAN-CMB SQ SFO-HKG SQ 1 HKG-SIN SQ 867 SIN -CMB SQ

My next ticket: RT on SQ.
CMB-SIN,SIN-HKG,HKG-SFO
SFO-HKG,HKG-SIN,SIN-BKK.
Same fare as you would get on the wSQ Website.
If you want more than 15 SEGements RT,My TA advised this routing,howver it requires a overnight in NRT.
CMB-SIN,SIN-BKK, BKK-NRT, NRT-LAX, LAX-SFO (UA)
SFO-LAX,LAX-NRT,NRT-BKK,BKK-SIN,SIN-CMB.

Nitrox Nov 1, 2005 1:04 pm

Thanks shortfinals, zvezda, Savage25 and yyzprincess for your help :)

bagold Nov 2, 2005 2:37 am

Originally Posted by zvezda
BKK-ICN-SIN-DEL-SIN-ICN-YVR-JFK-FRA-ZRH-MAN-ZRH-SIN-NRT-BKK
comes to 30 sectors in Business Class.

Can you elborate a little more on this? How much is on SQ and which sectos get what points? Does ZRH-MAN-ZRH earn you any PPS points?

shortfinals Nov 2, 2005 2:57 am

Originally Posted by bagold
Can you elborate a little more on this? How much is on SQ and which sectos get what points? Does ZRH-MAN-ZRH earn you any PPS points?

BKK-ICN=1.25
ICN-SIN=2.5
SIN-DEL=2.5
DEL-SIN=2.5
SIN-ICN=2.5
ICN-YVR=3.75
YVR-JFK=0
JFK-FRA=2.5
FRA-ZRH=0
ZRH-MAN=1.25
MAN-ZRH=1.25
ZRH-SIN=5
SIN-NRT=2.5
NRT-BKK=2.5

30 all up :D.Only YVR-JFK and FRA-ZRH is not on SQ metal.

0-481 miles = 0 Sectors
482-2484= 1.25 in J, 1.5 in F
2485-4349=2.5 in J, 3 in F
4350-6213=3.75 in J, 4.5 In F
6214 and above = 5 in J, 6 in F

all these apply for single flight numbers.

zvezda Nov 2, 2005 2:58 am

Originally Posted by bagold

All sectors are SQ except YVR-JFK and FRA-ZRH. Yes, ZRH-MAN-ZRH earns PPS sectors.

Savage25 Nov 2, 2005 5:27 am

BKK-ICN=1.25

Still living in 2004, are we? :D

ph-ndr Dec 1, 2005 7:12 pm

I remembered seeing this thread a while back and thought the sort of mileage run needed for gaining PPS seemed like a mad mans work. Well, I have proved my theory: How to do a PPS-run ;)

ph-ndr Jan 6, 2006 11:43 pm

'tis indeed a mad mans work. But I did it. Just came off the SIN-CPH and have been having a cold and I'm sick as a dog, but 26 sectors! :D

CGK Jan 6, 2006 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
'tis indeed a mad mans work. But I did it. Just came off the SIN-CPH and have been having a cold and I'm sick as a dog, but 26 sectors! :D

Congratulations! ^
Sorry to hear for the cold after being pampered with Dom. :p
Ready for requalification run? ;)

Kiwi Flyer Jan 7, 2006 1:05 pm

Yes only one thing to do when that counter resets and see zeroes on YTD balance :)

ph-ndr Jan 7, 2006 9:02 pm

My plan for my next one is to see if I can do a FRWSTAR1 to get the same sector counts as a CRWSTAR3, but that would need SQ traffic rights on the US west coast to Kiwi or ozzie-land.

Kiwi Flyer Jan 7, 2006 9:05 pm

Just how many years are you prepared to wait?

ph-ndr Jan 7, 2006 9:52 pm

<insert reference to $WARMPLACE and $solid precipitation>

In the mean while, I need to get to know the ways I can use to swing my travels onto SQ. :)

Also, next time we cross paths in SIN, it's my turn to treat you with Dom :)

MAN Flyer Jan 8, 2006 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Just how many years are you prepared to wait?

If I was pressed into guessing, I'd say with 12-18 months of QF getting their A380's.

Nitrox Jan 8, 2006 10:08 am

Have had a look through this thread and seen various posts about maximising sectors on the CRWSTAR fares.

Is it possible to get 25 sectors ex CMB or BKK on a CRWSTAR1 and if so, can anyone suggest any routings ?

Kiwi Flyer Jan 8, 2006 10:52 am

I think this routing ex-CMB comes to 25 sectors in C, and still has a few miles left over to add some more flights (but not through SIN) - perhaps some intra-europe SQ codeshares?

I just put this together in a few minutes so unlikely to be optimal routing/schedule.

Ex-BKK should be much easier as dont waste the mileage to/from CMB. Instead try to include some BKK-NRT-BKK sectors.

Nitrox Jan 8, 2006 11:01 am

Thanks Kiwi Flyer ^

I tried plugging this in to the *RTWMC earlier and it didn't like the FRA-ZRH leg (something about backtracking) or too many ZRH visits ??

I'll have another go....

fly4fun Jan 8, 2006 11:05 am

I tried plugging this in to the *RTWMC earlier and it didn't like the FRA-ZRH leg (something about backtracking) or too many ZRH visits ??

what's *RTWMC?

try adding MRS and/or TLS legs exFRA

thanks!

SQFAN Jan 8, 2006 11:11 am

Originally Posted by fly4fun
what's *RTWMC?

try adding MRS and/or TLS legs exFRA

thanks!

Nitrox was refering to the *A RTW mileage calculator.

Kiwi Flyer Jan 8, 2006 11:12 am

The Round the World Mileage Calculator - a tool which can be downloaded from www.staralliance.com

Great for planning RTWs, but does seem to be quite buggy (there's a thread in *A forum on the bugs).

Nitrox - that routing is definitely allowable, but need to make sure a maximum of one stopover (>24 hours) at ZRH. Also MAN-ZRH and ZRH-SIN need to be on different dates (or issued as separate coupons). If this is a problem try ... -MAN-ZRH-FRA-SIN- ...

fly4fun Jan 8, 2006 11:20 am

The Round the World Mileage Calculator - a tool which can be downloaded from www.staralliance.com

Great for planning RTWs, but does seem to be quite buggy (there's a thread in *A forum on the bugs).

Nitrox - that routing is definitely allowable, but need to make sure a maximum of one stopover (>24 hours) at ZRH. Also MAN-ZRH and ZRH-SIN need to be on different dates (or issued as separate coupons). If this is a problem try ... -MAN-ZRH-FRA-SIN- ...

Thanks Kiwi, SQFAN

Kiwi, how many FRA visits are allowed?

Kiwi Flyer Jan 8, 2006 11:34 am

On the standard *A RTWs, at any place you are allowed a maximum of 3 transits, and also a maximum of 1 stopover - thus can have 1 stopover + 2 transits if you'd like.

Depending on where you are originating there may be extra rules about number of times can enter/leave the origin country or region, and also how many domestic flights before first international and after last international flight; each of which may impose more restriction but for the most people dont affect the routing.

Full rules are listed in the *A forum. There is a link in the sticky *A Useful Reference links.

fly4fun Jan 8, 2006 11:38 am

Thanks Kiwi & see you soon!
Cheers,
R

Nitrox Jan 8, 2006 11:51 am

Thanks Kiwi Flyer :cool:

CGK Jan 8, 2006 12:07 pm

I think this routing ex-CMB comes to 25 sectors in C, and still has a few miles left over to add some more flights (but not through SIN) - perhaps some intra-europe SQ codeshares?

I just put this together in a few minutes so unlikely to be optimal routing/schedule.

Ex-BKK should be much easier as dont waste the mileage to/from CMB. Instead try to include some BKK-NRT-BKK sectors.

Just to add, isn't it the RTW ex-CMB is not that great in terms of the fares? More expensive than ex-BKK?

Kiwi Flyer Jan 8, 2006 12:17 pm

Also in the *A forum (and also linked in the sticky), there is a thread with *A RTW prices from many countries, and a helpful tool by wearybiztrvlr which converts to common currency to ease comparison of the fares.

LZ-HMI Jan 8, 2006 8:27 pm

Depending on where you are originating there may be extra rules about number of times can enter/leave the origin country or region....

That's the beauty of BKK as a starting point, isn't it? You can pass through BKK once, in addition to starting and ending there, as I understand things.

Useful for maximising sectors between NRT and SIN, for example!

TGflyergirl Jan 8, 2006 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by CGK
Just to add, isn't it the RTW ex-CMB is not that great in terms of the fares? More expensive than ex-BKK?

Yes, that's right. RTW's ex CMB aren't fantastic. BKK is best cause of the 2 intl departure rule :)

Nitrox Jan 9, 2006 6:04 am

I just tried this route on the *A RTW MC:

BKK-NRT 30/04/06 SQ996
NRT-BKK 10/05/06 SQ995
BKK-SIN 10/05/06 SQ67

and it said 'BKK visited too many times'

I thought with the 2 intl rule that this would have been OK ?

Is this route OK or is the MC a pile of pants ??