Book the Cook Suggestions

Old Sep 19, 04, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Book the Cook Suggestions

Ok I'm off to HKG/KIX this week and a couple segments are on SQ in Raffles. Was perusing the Book the Cook options and was wondering what your experiences have been.

Here's my options.

SFO-HKG:
  • Braised guinea fowl with creamy morel sauce, ravioli and seasonal vegetables
  • Crab cake with broccoli, baby carrots, fresh asparagus and roasted potato wedges
  • New York strip steak with tapenade, green beans, baby carrots and roasted potatoes
  • Pan-fried halibut with tagliatelle and pistou and sautéed vegetables
  • Jumbo shrimps in Thai red curry sauce with assorted vegetables and fried rice noodles
  • Korean style braised beef rib with vegetables and steamed rice
  • Steamed fish roll with ham and asparagus served with baby carrots, Chinese greens and egg noodles
  • Stir-fried mussels with garlic chilli sauce, assorted vegetables and steamed rice
  • Singapore Chicken Rice

SIN-KIX

Western Cuisine
  • 6oz US rib eye steak with creamy green peppercorn sauce, roasted vegetables and garlic-mashed potatoes
  • Oven-roasted corn fed chicken breast, tarragon jus and creamy polenta
  • Pan-seared Chilean bass with bouillabaisse sauce, capsicum confit and kalamata olive potato
  • Pappardelle with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes
  • Roast lamb chops with mint jus, mesclun salad and thyme-flavoured gratin potatoes
  • Roasted vegetables with avocado mesclun salad on roesti potatoes, in a truffle oil and xeres vinaigrette
  • Seared salmon escalope on a warm potato and snake bean salad
  • Slipper lobster thermidor, buttered asparagus and slow roasted vine-ripened tomato with saffron rice
  • Wild mushroom and chorizo risotto in natural jus with arugula

Singapore Specialities
  • Braised soya flavoured duck with yam rice
  • Chicken curry Peranakan style with bread rolls
  • Nasi biryani *
  • Nasi lemak *
  • Singapore Chicken Rice
Japanese Cuisine
  • Gyu-Don
Thai Delights
  • Fish soufflé and spicy minced chicken served with pineapple rice and curried vegetables
  • Green curry fish balls stuffed with prawns, served with pork in a sweet and spicy sauce
Old Sep 19, 04, 9:31 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I would stick to the Asian dishes.....
Old Sep 20, 04, 5:36 am

Singapore Chicken Rice is a perennial favorite.
Old Sep 20, 04, 7:30 am

Programs: TK E+, BA Gold, Marriott/HH Gold, IC Amb, Hertz PC
Hmmm...looks like I'm the odd one out. I recommend the wild mushroom and chorizo risotto ex-SIN.
Old Sep 20, 04, 11:27 am

Based on my EWR-SIN-JFK from early this year...

The Singapore Chicken Rice is yummy. The lobster thermidor is quite nice, but make sure you ask for the sauce on the side.

The most disappointing thing about the SQ J catering service is that dessert consists of a pint of Haagen Dazs ice cream. They serve the same thing on Dragon Air Y flights.

Another thing, bring a bottle of mineral water. SQ does not provide bottled water in J, only in F. The 3 times I asked for bottled water, I was met with this puzzled look from the FAs.
Old Sep 20, 04, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, VX GLD, HY GL, SPG GLD
Halibut

I've had the halibut ex-SFO in J and it was quite good.
Old Sep 20, 04, 9:51 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by broadwayboy

Another thing, bring a bottle of mineral water. SQ does not provide bottled water in J, only in F. The 3 times I asked for bottled water, I was met with this puzzled look from the FAs.
Not in my experience. In my case, SQ has usually provided bottled water to me in business. E.g., just flew SQ20 SIN-LAX, and everyone in C was given a bottle of water after dinner. Not the first time it has happened, either.
Old Sep 21, 04, 5:11 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by Latitudes
Singapore Chicken Rice is a perennial favorite.
I'm somewhat less impressed about the Singapore Chicken Rice on Book The Cook. I tried it on a SIN-LHR flight and it was not particularly impressive -- the chicken was lukewarm and the rice somewhat lacking in texture.

Then again, this might be a limitation of reheating food in-flight. And maybe I'm just a bit cynical about chicken rice, having developed a foolproof way of cooking it during my misspent student days.
Old Sep 21, 04, 9:14 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN
The Lamb chops are pretty good in my opinion. The thai suggestions and the Gyu Don sound interesting anyone ever try them?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: