Lax To Tpe

Old Sep 16, 04, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Lax To Tpe

I flew SQ biz from LAX to TPE and back to LAX in March. I loved the spacebed, the incredibly attentive service from the crew (as soon as I opened my eyes from a one hour nap, the purser immediately showed up from behind the curtain and offered me water/juice), and the movie selection (I was totally matrixed out after watching matrix 1/2/3 in a row). However, I have to give the food a big thumb down. It was basically economy class food served in better china. My BYOC meal, chilean seabas in orange sauce, was overly sweet and creamy. For breakfast, I tried their crepe. It was all soggy and mushy. I came back with a mixed feeling regarding SQ. Not sure if I should try them again, given the aweful food.

If anyone else has flown this route, let me know what you think.
Old Sep 16, 04, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I have found food on SQ to be almost across-the-board lousy. I haven't flown LAX-TPE, but I have been on several flights between SIN and KUL, BKK, PVG and ZRH. The food was bland or worse and usually the "hot" dishes were just luke warm. Even BTC was disappointing. Good garlic bread, though.

Best food I have had on SQ were the snacks they serve in F between SIN & KUL.
Old Sep 16, 04, 9:11 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Ive been flying SQ quite a bit for the past few years, and while the catering quality and 'high-end' ingredients involved have been reduced, I would not say that SQ's food is lousy (and believe me, Im a complainer). Lousy when compared to which airline...?

What is BYOC, are you referring to Book the Cook?
Old Sep 16, 04, 11:32 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
I agree with the poster

Completely agree with you...

I'm often on SQ29/30 and the food on this route is especially horrid. I find Sq's food service to be excellent otherwise especially ex Singapore.

Ex LA and TPE it just plain sucks. I have complained to PPS in LA and to the head office. Please do write to them and let them know so that I'm not the only one out there. SQ does listen when premium pax write to them so help us all out.
Old Sep 17, 04, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by SQPPS
Completely agree with you...

I'm often on SQ29/30 and the food on this route is especially horrid. I find Sq's food service to be excellent otherwise especially ex Singapore.

Ex LA and TPE it just plain sucks. I have complained to PPS in LA and to the head office. Please do write to them and let them know so that I'm not the only one out there. SQ does listen when premium pax write to them so help us all out.
I will jump aboard and also say the LAX is one of the bad catering stations served by SQ. Ive solved the TPE problem by sticking to Chinese/Asian dishes that are not as bad from this location.

In terms of writing to SQ, if possible, I find its always best to complain to your local sales office. They tend to take care of pax from their region more, and the turn-around time is better than writing to head office in Singapore, where the red tape tends to delay things.
Old Sep 17, 04, 12:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
What is BYOC, are you referring to Book the Cook?
From the description I assumed BYOC refers to Bring Your Own Chow.

I agree with the comments about the food ex-lax. Generally I find the meals on SQ to be somewhat lackluster, but excellent when compared to most other airlines. A flight on any US based airline is often all it takes to get me to appreciate the SQ meals more.
Old Sep 17, 04, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by chad75
Hmmmm.... somehow, I dont think the poster would complain about SQ's food but comment on something he brought on-board on his own....?

Old Sep 17, 04, 8:50 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by chad75
Book Your Own Cook?
Old Sep 17, 04, 8:50 am

Programs: SQ TPP25, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Hmmmm.... somehow, I dont think the poster would complain about SQ's food but comment on something he brought on-board on his own....?

What about Book Your Own Cook?
Old Sep 17, 04, 9:18 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Bet You'll Often Complain
Old Sep 27, 04, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, VX GLD, HY GL, SPG GLD
If you stick to the Asian dishes ex-TPE, you should be OK. Ex-LAX is pretty much a disaster, but definitely avoid whatever steak/beef dish they're serving. I've had it twice -- once it was "rib eye" and another time it was "filet mignon." Both times, it was horrid.
Old Sep 27, 04, 10:20 pm

Has anyone transited in TPE via this flight to TG? I am thinking about taking LAX-TPE-BKK and food isnt as important as sleep and price and this is a pretty cheap flight for J. Just curious how much of a pain transit is at TPE and what kind of lounge is availalable in the terminal for this flight upon arrival. I have flown out of TPE once and remember the lounge being before security so dont know if that is the case for transit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: