Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Lowly Haircut

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:00 am
Original Poster

My Lowly Haircut

I just shaved my hair into a mohawk this afternoon. Will Singapore or any other Star airline object to my flying in Business Class? I look fairly clean-cut otherwise, but I have the impression that asian airlines are somewhat judgemental about such things.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Originally Posted by danielmhd
I just shaved my hair into a mohawk this afternoon. Will Singapore or any other Star airline object to my flying in Business Class? I look fairly clean-cut otherwise, but I have the impression that asian airlines are somewhat judgemental about such things.

Any thoughts?
Wear black leather, with rings on your nose and ears, and dye your hair purple. Don't forget the black mascarra around your eyes to complement the outfit.

I wouldn't worry too much about your hairstyle, honestly
Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IDB due to haircut? I would love to see that happen.

I guess you might get a few odd looks from the pax, but the f/a's are far too professional to react. And if you are heading for Singapore, be grateful that they no longer enforce the haircut rule.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
And if you are heading for Singapore, be grateful that they no longer enforce the haircut rule.
Indeed, though it can sometime be trying passing through Japanese customs, even looking just a little unkempt.

I guess I'm just worried about getting attitude. Being young is sometimes an issue for me in the premium classes- I don't want the experience marred by any supposed standards or policies for passenger appearance. Maybe I'll bring a hat, just in case.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:52 am

Maybe I'll bring a hat, just in case.
Won't that squash your hair?!
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
You will immediately put in a straight jacket and put on the no fly list !

<Quote>I look fairly clean-cut otherwise, but I have the impression that asian airlines are somewhat judgemental about such things.<Quote>

And by the way N American airlines are judgemental too, you're middle eastern even if you are not.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Sep 13, 2004 at 6:19 pm
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:21 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold
I just shaved my hair into a mohawk this afternoon. Will Singapore or any other Star airline object to my flying in Business Class?
Shouldn't be a problem... and if anybody asks, just say you're working with David Beckham or something...
Old Sep 13, 2004, 6:13 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Just make sure you have your boarding pass handy.... No, seriously, I doubt you will encounter any issues - at least nobody will openly make this an issue. Im sure the Sing-Girls will comment about it in the galley, but I doubt you will get any "special" treatment because of your choice of hairstyle.

BTW, care to share why you went with that style....? (just curious)
Old Sep 13, 2004, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
BTW, care to share why you went with that style....? (just curious)
...And why not wait until after the flight (maybe) to avoid the obvious angst? Anyways, just tell 'em you've just finished taping a Gatsby advert. ^ And don't let it ruin your SQ experience.

Cheers, gb.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I guess you might get a few odd looks from the pax...
In this case, say,

"If you think THIS is strange, you should see what I did HERE!!", whilst reaching for your zip..

Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Golly, thanks for the input and all the creative suggestions. I guess the only sensible thing to do is to cancel my SQ trip to Sri Lanka. Maybe I'll visit Omaha or Fresno instead. I hear that Delaware has some lovely beaches.

Seriously, it's just interesting planning a trip with this in mind. I think the mohawk should be fine, but may present some interesting situations... for example, visiting temples in Sri Lanka and Thailand may be an issue. Nothing serious to worry about, but I guess I was a bit curious about any existing precedents. I should explain to the other passengers that I'm a hard-core Scientologist rocker or an eccentric, chess-champion fetishist or something.

"Would you like to see my whips??"

In actuality, I just got bored of my hum-drum, college-boy, straight-laced cut. I was directing a film and dealing with children and actors and production people for a few months and had to look presentable, but that's done and over. Used to shave it completely, but this was voted down by my friends, so the mohawk was a bit of a compromise. It looks pretty trashy, but I attracted some interesting attention in the pubs this weekend.

Anyway, absurdity is a priviledge, so I'll enjoy it while I can.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visting temples in Thailand or Sri Lanka with your haircut won't present any problems. As anyone who has strolled down the Khao San Road in Bangkok will testify, a mohawk is very, very generic!

Just make sure you put plenty of suncream on your head. Ouch.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 5:06 am

I nominate this thread as the most hilarious yet on this board
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
No one seems to mind old guys with pony tails (uggh) so why not a mohawk. I took my son to Tokyo for his 21st in business on LH, he has spikey hair and no one gave him a second look.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:33 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
It is a fallacy that the Singaporean authorities would be enforcing any unwritten code against anything unconventional or immoral eg chewing gum, ponytails, haircuts, poultry products upon your arrival in Changi International Airport.

We don't want the world to think that we are a benevolent dictatorship!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.