FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Yvr - Sin (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/352306-yvr-sin.html)

djjaguar64 Sep 5, 2004 9:21 am

Yvr - Sin

Now will they ever start a non-stop between YVR and SIN ? :confused:

Guy Betsy Sep 5, 2004 9:39 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Now will they ever start a non-stop between YVR and SIN ? :confused:

We'd like that but unfortunately (for us in Canada, but fortunate for those from ICN) that there is too much traffic between YVR and ICN to justify doing that.

danielmhd Sep 5, 2004 5:28 pm

<i>there is too much traffic between YVR and ICN to justify doing that</i>

Yeah, interesting. When I booked an SQ award segment between ICN and YVR on Jan 8th recently, pretty much all of Raffles Class appeared available. Then, a few days later, SQ had stopped selling ANY Raffles for this segment on its website and other websites. They must have some sort of schedule/quota for seats on the SIN-ICN and ICN-YVR segments. It'll be interesting to see how busy they are on this service.

Guy Betsy Sep 6, 2004 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by danielmhd
<i>there is too much traffic between YVR and ICN to justify doing that</i>

Yeah, interesting. When I booked an SQ award segment between ICN and YVR on Jan 8th recently, pretty much all of Raffles Class appeared available. Then, a few days later, SQ had stopped selling ANY Raffles for this segment on its website and other websites. They must have some sort of schedule/quota for seats on the SIN-ICN and ICN-YVR segments. It'll be interesting to see how busy they are on this service.

I was trying to get a revenue ecoomy Class seat between SIN and YVR and for most of Nov and Dec, the whole flight is literally sold out. Even Business Class.

djjaguar64 Sep 7, 2004 11:51 am

Well that's too bad, I know this has been discussed in previous posts, but I would really like for SQ to start flying to YYZ. It seems that YYZ is a protected zone by AC. CX flies from here so why not SQ. :confused:

danielmhd Sep 8, 2004 1:00 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Well that's too bad, I know this has been discussed in previous posts, but I would really like for SQ to start flying to YYZ. It seems that YYZ is a protected zone by AC. CX flies from here so why not SQ. :confused:

Mm, true. But I think that CX has the advantage of a HUGE Cantonese population across Canada, whereas the population of Singaporean emigrants is much, much smaller in comparison. As Guy Betsy mentioned, SQ's Canadian service seems to capture as much or more interest from the S. Korean market as the Singaporean market. SQ would probably have to develop fifth freedom service into Toronto from another country.

Guy Betsy- yeah, it's just odd that things would be available across the board one day and largely booked solid a few days later. Guess I lucked out getting a UAMP award seat for January. Just to clarify- I'm safe in Raffles if I'm booked in "I" class, right, with the new UAMP/SQ rules?

stinger Sep 8, 2004 1:07 pm

May be making a trip to Sin. I have a question about the YVR-SIN run. Do you deplane in ICN or is it just a stop? Considering taking either the YVR-SIN or through HKG with AC. How does the raffles on YVR-SIN compare to AC J class to HKG?

YVR Cockroach Sep 8, 2004 2:05 pm

If you can't get a through flight YVR-SIN or v-v, consider splitting up the flight. The ICN-SIN leg seems to be popular as it's the "first" evening flight. However, there is another 777 that flies ICN-SIN about 1/2 hr later that is less popular. Similarly, there are 2-3 flights that leave SIN for ICN before the flight to YVR.

Deplaning at SEL was mandatory for security reasons. I don't know if it's so ar ICN.

Guy Betsy Sep 9, 2004 8:07 am

Originally Posted by stinger
May be making a trip to Sin. I have a question about the YVR-SIN run. Do you deplane in ICN or is it just a stop? Considering taking either the YVR-SIN or through HKG with AC. How does the raffles on YVR-SIN compare to AC J class to HKG?

Absolutely no comparison. SQ's J by far beats AC in all departments!

Service , service, service.
Food.
IFE. SQ's Krisworld one of the best in the sky.
SQ's famed Spacebed.
Service, service, service.
Plus you still get Aeroplan miles...
Via ICN, yes you have to deplane. But you may go to Silver Kris lounge.

Only thing SQ can't do, that AC can is speak French on that route.

Alternatively, you may try CX's service via HKG. Still better than AC in all above departments.

djjaguar64 Sep 9, 2004 10:23 am

I do agree with Guy Betsy :cool:

stinger Sep 10, 2004 10:10 am

Sorry for the questions. I realize as a Canadian citizens with a passport I don't need any additional doc's for HKG or SIN. Is anything more than a passport required when deplaing at ICN or do I go through customs and immigration at all?

Guy Betsy Sep 10, 2004 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by stinger
Sorry for the questions. I realize as a Canadian citizens with a passport I don't need any additional doc's for HKG or SIN. Is anything more than a passport required when deplaing at ICN or do I go through customs and immigration at all?

Just your passport is fine. But you don't need to go through immigration as you're not going into Seoul but just transitting.

Q Shoe Guy Sep 10, 2004 11:45 pm

Stinger, if you do use the ICN option try the Asiana lounge you won't be dissappointed ! It's really quite nice.

Rejuvenated Jan 4, 2005 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I was trying to get a revenue ecoomy Class seat between SIN and YVR and for most of Nov and Dec, the whole flight is literally sold out. Even Business Class.

I too have always had trouble getting seats on this flight and at times when they do, there are barely 3 or 4 left causing the fare to soar up through the roof.
There is high demand for SQ flights ex-Canada, but the carrier is only limited to operate 3x/weekly so no wonder it's always jammed packed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that once the current air agreement between Canada & Singapore expires, the two sides will lighten up and we will see more SQ frequencies ex-YVR and also possibly ex-YYZ. Although I'm more than satisfied with CX's service on this route and fly on it quite often, I would love to see SQ fly YVR-HKG-SIN with 5th freedom between YVR-HKG so we can have two great service carriers serving this route (I never invest in AC for this route). What do you think? No doubt in my mind that SQ will do very well in this route and it would surely be a dream come true. :) :) :D :D