CapeTown

Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

CapeTown

I need to get to CapeTown from my home town of San Francisco in January, 2005. I have $600 worth of United Airlines travel vouchers. I plan to get as far as possible using these vouchers then purchase the remaining air tickets. Quite a few people in another forum mentioned that I should use my United Vouchers to get myself to SIN/BKK and then buy airline tickets from SIN/BKK to South Africa Singapore Air. They said I get get airfare between $600 - $900 US Dollars.

My Problem: I can't find airfare anywhere near this cheap. Does anyone know how to get fares this cheap for roundtrip flights between SIN/BKK to South Africa in January. If possible I would prefer flights that would accrue United Miles.

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:19 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Your problem is that January in Cape Town is the height of summer and a real peak period for tourism at that time. So reasonable fare might be difficult to come by. Sorry.........................
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by djohn125

My Problem: I can't find airfare anywhere near this cheap. Does anyone know how to get fares this cheap for roundtrip flights between SIN/BKK to South Africa in January. If possible I would prefer flights that would accrue United Miles.

Thanks for your help.
I'm pretty sure that it will be a LOT cheaper for you to route through Europe rather than Asia. Asia to South Africa is one of those long thin routes with very little competition - one flight a day for Singapore, Cathay, Malaysia and South Africa - maybe a bit more. On the other hand, there are probably 15-20 flights a day from London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, etc. I just did a quick check and anywhere in Asia to South africa is running US$2500-3500, whereas out of London for early january was about $950. Also, your vouchers will make it to Europe for certain that time of year, whereas $600 is pretty borderline for getting out to Asia any time of year.

You also might want to consider flying to Joburg and taking one of the intra-SA discount carriers across - often Joburg is quite a bit cheaper to get to than CPT (again, more competition)
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
try SA US-CPT/JNB direct in 345

SAA has tie ups with UA and LH and flies direct from the east coast, maybe they offer a UA code share
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
You can get a fare from BKK to JNB on EMIRATES for about US$650 return. And you may earn UA miles on EK flights. From JNB, you can get a cheap add on on SAA.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:43 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
SAA has tie ups with UA and LH and flies direct from the east coast, maybe they offer a UA code share
Unfortunately, this hasn't taken effect yet. They expect SAA to join Star some time in 2005.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.