FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   CapeTown (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/351553-capetown.html)

djohn125 Sep 1, 04 11:41 pm

CapeTown

I need to get to CapeTown from my home town of San Francisco in January, 2005. I have $600 worth of United Airlines travel vouchers. I plan to get as far as possible using these vouchers then purchase the remaining air tickets. Quite a few people in another forum mentioned that I should use my United Vouchers to get myself to SIN/BKK and then buy airline tickets from SIN/BKK to South Africa Singapore Air. They said I get get airfare between $600 - $900 US Dollars.

My Problem: I can't find airfare anywhere near this cheap. Does anyone know how to get fares this cheap for roundtrip flights between SIN/BKK to South Africa in January. If possible I would prefer flights that would accrue United Miles.

Thanks for your help.

MrSydney Sep 2, 04 12:19 am

Your problem is that January in Cape Town is the height of summer and a real peak period for tourism at that time. So reasonable fare might be difficult to come by. Sorry.........................

carbonchaser Sep 2, 04 12:42 am

Originally Posted by djohn125

My Problem: I can't find airfare anywhere near this cheap. Does anyone know how to get fares this cheap for roundtrip flights between SIN/BKK to South Africa in January. If possible I would prefer flights that would accrue United Miles.

Thanks for your help.

I'm pretty sure that it will be a LOT cheaper for you to route through Europe rather than Asia. Asia to South Africa is one of those long thin routes with very little competition - one flight a day for Singapore, Cathay, Malaysia and South Africa - maybe a bit more. On the other hand, there are probably 15-20 flights a day from London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, etc. I just did a quick check and anywhere in Asia to South africa is running US$2500-3500, whereas out of London for early january was about $950. Also, your vouchers will make it to Europe for certain that time of year, whereas $600 is pretty borderline for getting out to Asia any time of year.

You also might want to consider flying to Joburg and taking one of the intra-SA discount carriers across - often Joburg is quite a bit cheaper to get to than CPT (again, more competition)

oliver2002 Sep 2, 04 3:58 am

try SA US-CPT/JNB direct in 345

SAA has tie ups with UA and LH and flies direct from the east coast, maybe they offer a UA code share

Guy Betsy Sep 2, 04 4:23 am

You can get a fare from BKK to JNB on EMIRATES for about US$650 return. And you may earn UA miles on EK flights. From JNB, you can get a cheap add on on SAA.

ORDSteve Sep 2, 04 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
SAA has tie ups with UA and LH and flies direct from the east coast, maybe they offer a UA code share

Unfortunately, this hasn't taken effect yet. They expect SAA to join Star some time in 2005.