To Book the Cook or Not

Old Aug 3, 04, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
To Book the Cook or Not

I have been giving this a lot of thought. I know there have been many threads about the specific meals that are best through BTC, but not many, or at least that I could tell that compare the standard offerings vs BTC. So hence my question.

I am flying the nonstop flight EWR-SIN in September, in raffles. My return is on UA, so my first thought of doing BTC one way and trying my luck the other is out. Thanks to StarG for sending me scans of the menus from the flights, I am not sure which way to go. therefore I am asking all of the SQ experts, which way would you go. (BTW, this is my first venture onto SQ) Should I book the cook or not?

Side question. (too lazy to search) If you don't BTC, how are orders taken?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 04, 1:12 pm

Programs: SQ TPP24, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
You are very welcome, MSY-MSP.
If you absolutely want to try the experience, then go right ahead. But you won't miss much for not BTC-ing onboard the non-stops. There are four (usually) good main course choices for 'large' meals onboard the A345.

How to book: call up Singapore Airlines (800) 742-3333, tell the agent your flight details and ask him/her to place the BTC meal request for you.

Last edited by StarG; Aug 3, 04 at 1:34 pm
Old Aug 3, 04, 1:29 pm

Sorry.. must be the late hours. Misread your post.
If no BTC, then (if I recall correctly) at the beginning of the meal service they go from the most front of each cabin to the back to ask what main course you would like. Can someone help regarding this?
Old Aug 3, 04, 9:46 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by StarG
If no BTC, then (if I recall correctly) at the beginning of the meal service they go from the most front of each cabin to the back to ask what main course you would like. Can someone help regarding this?
Yes, that's correct. Orders for the main course are taken some time before the meal service begins (similar process as orders for post-takeoff drinks, for example). Menus are handed out when passengers board.
Old Aug 5, 04, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I happily ate what the crew was serving in Raffles JFK/FRA. My wife and I enjoyed the sea bass and the loin of lamb. Large portion. Certainly won't leave you hungry. The FA's fuss all over you.
Old Aug 5, 04, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Here is what works for me:
I usually BTC in advance, either the Japanese meal (if in FC) or the steak, or something Asian. When on the flight, the FA usually offers me the regular menu, saying, "I see you ordered xxxx, but please take a look anyway." On a recent SIN-BKK-SIN RT in FC, I was one of 3 pax on the outbound in FC, and the ONLY pax on the return (both 744 skysuite flights--a worry that they are so empty, but two FAs for me, the only pax, was quite nice ). So the FAs offered me to try anything else I wanted from the menu. I got a Thai-style Tilapia with chilli and basil that was excellent (off the menu), then skipped my first course of the Japanese meal and had the second. She then offered me the fruit course from the menu, and then, best of all, brought me both desserts (menu and Japanese), plated and looking nice, for me to choose from!
Excellent service as usual. When I read "What is happening to this airline??" posts on here, service like this makes me wonder what all the fuss is about. Try getting this kind of service on a European or North American airline.
Old Sep 5, 04, 6:48 am

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold Executive, United 1K, HHonors VIP Gold, Hyatt Diamond Passport
Book the Cook and MEL-SIN Menu

Has anyone done the J class MEL-SIN vv trip in September and perhaps can share the menu options and BTC choices, especially out of MEL. I'll be on 17H MEL-SIN September 16. Anyone on that flight?
Old Sep 5, 04, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by Flyguy1971
Has anyone done the J class MEL-SIN vv trip in September and perhaps can share the menu options and BTC choices, especially out of MEL. I'll be on 17H MEL-SIN September 16. Anyone on that flight?
Miss you by 2 wks!

I'll be doing SQ231 on 23SEP SINSYD, and SQ 238 on 30SEP MELSIN.
Old Sep 5, 04, 10:54 am

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold Executive, United 1K, HHonors VIP Gold, Hyatt Diamond Passport
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Miss you by 2 wks!

I'll be doing SQ231 on 23SEP SINSYD, and SQ 238 on 30SEP MELSIN.
Ah Mister Betsy! Guess you don't have any clues to the menu for MEL-SIN eh?

Anyone?? Anyone???!!
Old Sep 5, 04, 11:56 am

Ah Mister Betsy! Guess you don't have any clues to the menu for MEL-SIN eh?

Anyone?? Anyone???!!
Here you go... BTC information taken from SIA website.

Raffles Class

FROM MELBOURNE

• Chicken in macadamia nut crust with bush tomato coulis, roast vegetables and new potatoes
• Grilled beef in green peppercorn sauce with seasonal vegetables and gratin potatoes
• Pan-fried barramundi in native pepper sauce with sautéed vegetables and fettuccine
• Seared salmon escalope on a warm potato and French bean salad
• Cantonese roast duck with vegetables and steamed rice
• Indian lamb shank curry with spiced vegetables and basmati rice
• Lamb loin in Thai green curry with Asian vegetables and steamed rice
• Wok-fried rice with tender pieces of marinated chicken, egg and spring onion

Enjoy!
Old Sep 5, 04, 8:29 pm

Thanks StarG. I found the BTC menu on the SQ website too. But has anyone been on the MEL-SIN flight this month? What are the menu options in Raffles?
Old Sep 5, 04, 10:37 pm

Thanks StarG. I found the BTC menu on the SQ website too. But has anyone been on the MEL-SIN flight this month? What are the menu options in Raffles?
Unfortunately, I have never been to MEL, otherwise I would have a copy of the inflight menu.
Have you ever checked out www.airlinemeals.net?
Old Sep 10, 04, 12:52 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I almost always BTC on SQ. However, at least in C, its my experience that the option to BTC and still get something else on the menu is not so straightforward - it will depend on how full the cabin is. If F, its of course a different story.
Old Sep 12, 04, 12:13 am

In Raffles they usually don't let you have a second main course, execept of course when its pretty empty. I was one of two people on the lower deck of a 744 (SQ 231 SIN-SYD) and the FA's were more than happy to offer me a second main, but having eaten before the flight I declined.

I tried the Chicken Rice from BTC Raffles Class and it was rather dissapointing because the chicken had dried out, but otherwise it was fine. I guess if there is something that catches your fancy on the BTC menu, then go for it, otherwise SQ meal selections are usually very good. Either way, you won't be going hungry

Coathanger

Search this Thread