Using KF miles to upgrade: Procedure?

Old Jul 24, 04, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Using KF miles to upgrade: Procedure?

If I use KF miles to upgrade an SQ ticket (paper ticket) from business to first, what is the procedure? Do they need to mail me a voucher in return for the mileage redemption and/or do I need to make an extra trip to the airport, or can any "paperwork" be done on the day of departure? Any surprise fees?

Strangely, I couldn't find this anywhere on the KF website (although they do describe all sorts of fees for many other things.)

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24, 04, 10:07 pm

Last time i upgraded, the agent on the phone said that they had to mail me the voucher and to allow 2 weeks before departing for this. Maybe things have changed in the last year, but that's the way it was a year ago.

KF also has a toll free number for most every country, so you might want to give them a ring and confirm.

Originally Posted by vdb seeker
If I use KF miles to upgrade an SQ ticket (paper ticket) from business to first, what is the procedure? Do they need to mail me a voucher in return for the mileage redemption and/or do I need to make an extra trip to the airport, or can any "paperwork" be done on the day of departure? Any surprise fees?

Strangely, I couldn't find this anywhere on the KF website (although they do describe all sorts of fees for many other things.)

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24, 04, 10:24 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, SQ *G, MPC Gold, HHonours Diamond, Starwood Plat
Hi vdb seeker. You can access the Krisflyer Members Area from the Sq website. Heres the link https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app...ea=MembersArea

What you can do after that is go to the redeeming miles section and make ur selection. They have a couple of options. Jeff is right in saying that they usually need 2 weeks to mail it to you. But if you are a KF Gold or PPS member, you can walk into the Singapore Reservation office and pick it up on the spot with no charge. If you are Silver or normal, then there is a US$25 charge for walk it. More details from this link
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/...entSite=global

You can also call KF to make the booking. I think if you do online there is a promotion going on in which less miles is required for redemption

Hope this helps and happy upgrading to FC. It is great
Old Jul 25, 04, 11:55 am

Does SQ still issue MCO vouchers for upgrades? I thought it has -- and it should have -- reverted to electronic upgrades.

I know CX still resorts to that antiquated method but CX says it will soon change to electronic upgrades....

So with SQ, there's no way of upgrading using KrisFlyer miles at the airport?
Old Jul 25, 04, 12:22 pm

Programs: SQ TPP24, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Chiangi
Does SQ still issue MCO vouchers for upgrades? I thought it has -- and it should have -- reverted to electronic upgrades.

I know CX still resorts to that antiquated method but CX says it will soon change to electronic upgrades....

So with SQ, there's no way of upgrading using KrisFlyer miles at the airport?
I read in SQ Outlook magazine that some SQ airport stations do upgrading using KrisFlyer miles at the airport as a special service.
You may want to e-mail/call the SQ airport office in question to find out.

Last edited by StarG; Jul 25, 04 at 12:25 pm
Old Jul 25, 04, 11:12 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by Chiangi
I think it depends on the regional Krisflyer office. I did an Economy to Raffles upgrade on the LHR-SIN route in April and they did it using one of those vouchers. Thankfully I wasn't in a rush, as the transaction was requested a couple of weeks before the flight.

In contrast, the Singapore office seems to do it all electronically.
Old Jul 26, 04, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got an MCO last year for a SIN - LAX upgrade to F. This was issued at Paragon.

Note that the Krisflyer team in the lounge at Chiangi cannot process the upgraded - you have to trek into town to do this.
Old Jul 27, 04, 2:34 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
I witnessed a conversation between a pax who wanted to u/g and the girls at the desk in the SKL lounge in SIN a few months ago. They were saying they couldn't do it and telling him 'you will have to speak to Krisflyer as only they can do it'.

The pax was not impressed with this and was having a good old go at them.
Old Jul 29, 04, 8:00 am

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Thank you for this thread. I had just assumed that getting upgrades would be as easy (and electronic) as Qantas and Air NZ. So hadn't planned to do anything until closer to my departure date, when my ticket is issued.

As soon as I saw this, I rang Krisflyer and booked an upgrade from JFK to MEL. I don't get my tickets issued until Aug 2, for departure on August 13. The agent told me I had to visit the Sing Office by the 6th March to pick up the voucher.

I also have to take my ticket with me.

Can't get an Op-UP to First, so now booked a 3 plane 747 flight in FIRST!!!

So now booked IAH - PIT - LGA | JFK - FRA on the 4th (Double points for Air NZ on US Air during September.) To Sin on the 5th and Mel on the 6th. (54 Hours) but max SQ and NZ points

Home for 6 days then onto Bangkok for a week.

Search this Thread