Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Menu: Why FAs are so diligent to take them away recently?

Menu: Why FAs are so diligent to take them away recently?

Old Jul 15, 04, 11:57 am
CGK
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Unhappy Menu: Why FAs are so diligent to take them away recently?

I like to collect the menu given in the flights that I was in. But recently, the FAs were so diligent to take them away. Well, it's okay if they do it in discreet. But the problem is that it seems they count how many out there, and which seats they could not collect back. The annoying thing was that she asked me where my menu was. I said I took it for my collection. And she was not happy about it. And the pax around me looking at me like I am a guilty party. This happened not once or twice, but more often from my recent flights this past month.
Is SQ has a new policy of menu recycling in order to save money? I know most of the pax do not care for the menu, but when one of the pax loves to take the menu, why the FAs get so unhappy about it?
Just for comparison, when I flew BA, LH and CX recently, I had no problem taking the menu home. I think the FAs did not even collect them back.
Old Jul 15, 04, 1:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, other stuff I can't recall
Originally Posted by CGK
I like to collect the menu given in the flights that I was in. But recently, the FAs were so diligent to take them away. Well, it's okay if they do it in discreet. But the problem is that it seems they count how many out there, and which seats they could not collect back. The annoying thing was that she asked me where my menu was. I said I took it for my collection. And she was not happy about it. And the pax around me looking at me like I am a guilty party. This happened not once or twice, but more often from my recent flights this past month.
Is SQ has a new policy of menu recycling in order to save money? I know most of the pax do not care for the menu, but when one of the pax loves to take the menu, why the FAs get so unhappy about it?
Just for comparison, when I flew BA, LH and CX recently, I had no problem taking the menu home. I think the FAs did not even collect them back.
Yes they do seem to count them. One of my "regular" FAs was not too happy about have to organise and count a pile of menus as another one of her duties. Though I have to add she didn't say that just implied it.
Old Jul 15, 04, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Why dont you just ask to keep the menu.
Old Jul 15, 04, 3:40 pm

I experienced this on my recent (wonderful, I might add) trip LHR-SIN-ICN in SQ Raffles.

They didn't try to collect them from LHR-SIN, but from then on, all 3 remaining segments they wanted the menu back. Of course, I wasn't that desperate to keep them so I didn't bother, but just out of curiousity I asked if I could keep the menu on SIN-LHR and they said yes, no problems.

Mind you, most SQ lounges have the menu available to browse before the flight (ICN comes to mind - it had the menu for every SQ flight going in every direction from ICN, namely SIN, BKK, SFO and YVR)
Old Jul 15, 04, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I think its great that SQ is trying to recycle and/or save, however, it should be routine that if a pax wishes to keep the menu, he/she should be able to keep it with no questions asked (or strange faces made).
Old Jul 15, 04, 7:11 pm
CGK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Why dont you just ask to keep the menu.
I did ask. Well, when she was looking for my menu, I said to her I would like to have the menu, and I have put it inside my carry-on. She looked at me like I was somebody from other planet. This happened not only once or twice.
I think it's quite annoying to have to ask for it all the time. When the FA can not collect the menu from a pax, she/he should instinctively know that the pax is keeping the menu.
And when the seat pocket is full of stuff, it's kind of strange for FA to search the menu by removing all the stuff. I mean some pax I noticed had his/her business papers there.
Old Jul 15, 04, 7:18 pm
CGK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold
Mind you, most SQ lounges have the menu available to browse before the flight (ICN comes to mind - it had the menu for every SQ flight going in every direction from ICN, namely SIN, BKK, SFO and YVR)
I keep the menu because it's useful. For example, if a friend takes the same flight the same month then I will be able to tell her the menu. Or, if I want to tell what I ate in my flight, I will be able too ( yes, I am quite forgetful). I know that in ICN as well as NRT I have seen the menu for all the flights out of ICN or NRT, even for economy class.
Old Jul 15, 04, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
I have on rare occassions kept SQ menu and have never been quizzed over it, although I notice the FAs usually look for them the moment I go to freshen up.
Old Jul 15, 04, 7:28 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
try this in F!

i loved the look of horror on the FAs face one time when she asked for the menu, and i said that i had kept it! this was in F, leather binder and all...

she was visibly relieved when she realised i was just kidding...
Old Jul 15, 04, 8:34 pm
CGK
Original Poster

Well, actually the most problem I had was in C-class. The F FA usually was nice and did not look surprise when I said I kept the menu. And, BTW, I just took the menu, not the leather binder. Sometimes, she would say oh for your souvenir, would you like playing cards, or do you have children? When I said I have young nieces and nephew, she would come back with goodies for children
Old Jul 15, 04, 8:42 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, Marriott Life Gold
Exclamation Where do you put'em

To each his own I guess, but my question is what do you do with all those menus you collect?

Not to be sarcastic at all, but would love to know if you just put them away in a store or have found a more creative way of keeping'em.

Some of the menus, binders, toiletries stuff that I took from nice hotels or airlines thinking it looked pretty at the time, ended up in the store real quick when I realized I had nothing whatsoever to do with them - including the toiletries (which I guess I could gift away). Also all those socks and eyeshades - now I just leave them on the seat unopened -even friends dont want them anymore.

It'd be neat if someone did give an idea other than a store room, subject to annual cleansing ;-)

Last edited by ranad; Jul 15, 04 at 8:49 pm
Old Jul 15, 04, 10:18 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Yes, I've noticed this to. Even waitied diligently for a good minute while I rumaged through the piles of papers/magazines on the floor on a recent flight.
Old Jul 16, 04, 12:59 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by milehighj
i loved the look of horror on the FAs face one time when she asked for the menu, and i said that i had kept it! this was in F, leather binder and all...

she was visibly relieved when she realised i was just kidding...
I've asked to keep the menu in F. Of course I only meant the menu itself, not the binder, but the FA happily told me it was no problem and told me to keep the whole thing, including the leather binder. That was a pleasant surprise (one of many pleasant surprises flying SQ in F).
Old Jul 16, 04, 1:27 am

Programs: SQ, HHonors, Priority Club
I think its an abnormality in service.

My recent LAX-SIN flight, I asked for an additional menu to keep for a friend and they gave me 2.....
Old Jul 16, 04, 1:35 am
CGK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ranad
To each his own I guess, but my question is what do you do with all those menus you collect?

Not to be sarcastic at all, but would love to know if you just put them away in a store or have found a more creative way of keeping'em.

Some of the menus, binders, toiletries stuff that I took from nice hotels or airlines thinking it looked pretty at the time, ended up in the store real quick when I realized I had nothing whatsoever to do with them - including the toiletries (which I guess I could gift away). Also all those socks and eyeshades - now I just leave them on the seat unopened -even friends dont want them anymore.

It'd be neat if someone did give an idea other than a store room, subject to annual cleansing ;-)
Point taken. But my menu collection doesn't need a store room yet. Not flying often enough I guess.
Almost all my amenity kits are gone. Yes, they are good gifts for friends and family back home in Indonesia. Same happened to most of the socks and eyeshades.
So sad when flying Raffles Class, no amenity kits.

Search this Thread