Seat inventory for different country?

Old Jul 13, 04, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Seat inventory for different country?

Hi all,

I'm looking to book SIN - MEL on SQ on 28th July and itn shows plenty of seats. However, when i go to SQ Singapore website to book, it shows as unavailable.

Here come the twist. Out of curiousity, i went to SQ Indonesia website and book for 7 people (eventhough i only need 1 seat) and it shows as available. The question is why SQ is not selling those seats in its own country?

For comparison sake, the price from Indonesia cost US$750 each whereas the same ticket will cost S$950 (US$550) in Singapore.

Can someone tell the reason for SQ doing this?

Aaron
Old Jul 13, 04, 5:06 am

My guess would be that it's more of a matter of different booking classes than sophisticated computer revenue management at play.

For example, because they normally command high fares ex-SIN, a lower fare might use a lower booking class (eg, M), whereas ex-Indonesia they might use a higher booking class (eg, Y) for a similarly priced ticket.

I know this holds true in Korea, where just about every non-Group ticket is booked in Y. So obviously you're more likely to find availability than something that's booked in a lower class.

That was my guess... maybe others can shed more light on this?
Old Jul 13, 04, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Not all the time. It depends on the fare, routing, time of year etc etc.

There are many economy class codes available for just 'economy'. So what you think you're getting may not be so.

For fares from Jakarta, the SQ website will show what's published. Most people would just book through travel agents who have access to special deals not available on the website. In Singapore however, rules permit special fares to be displayed on SQ's website which will be the same as you call a local travel agent.

So yes.. in a nutshell, what you ask for may not be available ..
Old Jul 13, 04, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC SE SQ Solitaire BA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
This thread is most insteresting. I tried to book 2 F seats LHR/SYS and they were unavailable on the website. Phone SIN in Glasgow and was told they are now allocating only so many F seats from the UK per flight. They advised me to phone Trailfinders who I often deal with and get them to get in touch with the London SIN operations manager. I asked Trailfinders to check the flights and they said they were wide open but then were unable to actually book seats. They then contacted the London SIN manager who heard that we were both PPS and immediately released 2 seats.

I must say it is very upsetting and caused a lot of hassle. I'm afraid it doesn't seem the way to atract business. Will be interested to hear any other similar experiences.

Search this Thread