Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Only RTW fare

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
SQ Only RTW fare

I'm doing JFK-FRA-SIN-EWR, using the Singapore Airlines "only" RTW fare. I want to really go to BLR. They told me I need to buy SIN-BLR-SIN as a separate side trip, as it cannot be part of the RTW ticket.

I thought backtracking was allowed for purposes of making a connection?
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Babu
I'm doing JFK-FRA-SIN-EWR, using the Singapore Airlines "only" RTW fare. I want to really go to BLR. They told me I need to buy SIN-BLR-SIN as a separate side trip, as it cannot be part of the RTW ticket.

I thought backtracking was allowed for purposes of making a connection?
The way that I understand it (as verbally told to me), is that one can only make one stop in SIN, whether it be a connection or transit stop. In your case, after your FRA-SIN sector, you can only do one of the following from SIN:

SIN-TPE-LAX
SIN-NRT-LAX
SIN-HKG-SFO
SIN-ICN-SFO
SIN-EWR (your selection)

You cannot even do SIN-BKK-ICN-SFO, as that would be considered back-tracking.

As you know, after you get back to the west coast, you are responsible for making your way back to New York or wherever your final destination is.

So, as I understand it, you only have four alternative options if you are traveling round the world moving east.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by dsimon; Jun 22, 2004 at 8:08 am
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Thank you DSimon! Your detailed reponse is appreciated (even though it's not the answer I wanted to hear! ).
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:22 am

the way i understand it (and it was about a year ago when i asked) the rules for this RTW are totally different from a F/C/YRWSTAR. any kind of backtracking is specifically not permitted.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Yes. You'd have to look at a map of the world to see that BKK is in fact more westerly positioned than Singapore is, and therefore if you fly SIN-BKK-ICN, you are backtracking if you flew in from Europe.

This is common on normal RTW fares.. before the inclusion of 'continents' and MPMs... Travel must be in an Easterly or Westerly direction without backtracking.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jun 22, 2004 at 9:00 am Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.