Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ loads HKG-SIN

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:24 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
SQ loads HKG-SIN

This route must be very profitable for SIA.... Ive just come off this flight after having taken SIN-HKG yesterday and both ways Raffles was 100% full, and F was at least 2/3 occupied. They must be raking it in... ^
Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:56 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Well Gaucho, I was on CX yesterday and Y and C were full! Excellent service yesterday.
HKG-SIN has always been a moneymaker for CX and SQ. The fares always remained at very good levels over the past few years. CI and GA operate the route (although GA now only 3x weekly, the rest direct from JKT). And even they make good money on the route.

The market has been screaming for a LCC to come and dent this duopoly. So now Valuair from SIN flies the route. This had led to a price war from the incumbents. On CX ex-HKG HKD990 was offered, this has never happened before. So there is quite some bargainhunting going on. On top of that the school holidays are on in SIN and HKG. And both carriers have been doing well recently. This all leads to very full planes indeed.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Ua?

Just curious - does UA sell this segment stand-alone? it's a connector to their SFO-HKG. I ask as I remember talking to students on a UA SIN-NRT who chose UA solely due to lower price. Is that the same situation on this route?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Yes, you can buy UA tickets just for HKG-SIN.

SQ and CX have always charged more than the other carriers. Well, they do have more flights to choose from, and well-reknown service. If you want the cheapest fare, CI or GA will be your choice. Last year, QF has the lowest fare on this route, but they've discontinued the HKG-SIN-PER flight.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:32 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Remember that UA really has the worst departure time of all the flights.....
At 0700, and they want you to be there 2 hours early (security reasons).

The price is OK, usually about USD 200 RT. But there is lots of space, I took it twice recently. About 3100 miles RT.

Valuair is the one I havent tried yet. No miles.....
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:48 pm
BON

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by miles4all
Remember that UA really has the worst departure time of all the flights.....
Not if you're going from Singapore. You can have spend a full day in Hong Kong without staying in a hotel.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 4:15 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Though Valuair isn't offering miles, and that SQ/CX/TG are matching the excursion fares even during the peak holiday season, I know several families that have gone with Valuair because they have extremely low child fares. A friend of mine wanted to fly SQ until she found out that with SQ her 15mth old would have to pay $240, when Valuair was charging a mere $60!!
Old Jun 5, 2004, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fimo
Though Valuair isn't offering miles, and that SQ/CX/TG are matching the excursion fares even during the peak holiday season, I know several families that have gone with Valuair because they have extremely low child fares. A friend of mine wanted to fly SQ until she found out that with SQ her 15mth old would have to pay $240, when Valuair was charging a mere $60!!
Another good reason to fly SQ: fewer squealers.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:50 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by zvezda
Another good reason to fly SQ: fewer squealers.
Do you really need more reasons to fly SQ....???!!!!

Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Do you really need more reasons to fly SQ....???!!!!
does it for me ! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.