FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   SQ EWR-SIN in C class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/325242-sq-ewr-sin-c-class.html)

ordflyboy May 29, 2004 6:33 pm

SQ EWR-SIN in C class

Ok - I know that several of you have comments about the upgraded Raffles class on the A340-500.... A few questions... is it really upgraded over the 'regular' Raffles class? Is it comfortable for all that time? I usually fly UA in F class transpac and am happy with the seat. Want to try SQ for the service - but don't want to give up the comfortable seat just to try SQ! I have tried the "old" VS upper class seat and hated it... Looks like the Raffles class seat is similar to it!

HELP!

retrav1K May 29, 2004 9:34 pm

SQ Space Bed versus UA First Suite ??

I actually think these are much of a muchness... except you are not in single seat layout on SQ ... For the price difference, SQ C class is my choice (also the service is MUCH better than UA F)

Haven't been on the "upgraded" SpaceBed on the -500 ..only the Exec Economy (pre-service flight SIN-BKK in January) -- and it was GREAT !!

Have flown a LOT on SQ C class and say I think it is top class

Also fly often on UA F suites internationally (generally using SWU's on RTW C tickets) -- and that is nice too... IF I can't get confirmed upgrade to F on UA transpacific, I will change to SQ....I think there's a message there for UA on needing new C seats.

ordflyboy Jun 1, 2004 6:53 pm

Still need info....

Still more info gang!

Please help! :)

Buster CT1K Jun 1, 2004 7:17 pm

Service will likely be better in SQ C than UA F. Plus, this time of the year (between now and early- or mid-sept), you will get to see the uncommon spectacle of an arctic sunrise and arctic sunset during your flight, and the pleasure of seeing the north pole.

Does anyone know whether the flight path, EWR-SIN, takes the aircraft on a path such that the north pole is to the left or right of the aircraft?

CGK Jun 1, 2004 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Does anyone know whether the flight path, EWR-SIN, takes the aircraft on a path such that the north pole is to the left or right of the aircraft?

From the map in the brochure that I received from SQ long time ago, the flight path shows the north pole will be in the right hand side of the flight path.

shortfinals Jun 1, 2004 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by ordflyboy
Still more info gang!

Please help! :)

Well the spacebeds may be 'upgraded' pitch wise over the 'spacebed' but it feels a bit narrower than 'regular' to me. IMHO, not a match for UA's Firstsuite but like everybody else here, SQ service will trump UA's plus it's got awesome entertaiment. Since I'd expect you'd probably pay more for UA F I'd take SQ.

jtrader Jun 3, 2004 9:15 am

I fly UA int'l F very frequently. I hadn't flown Raffles in awhile but just came back last weekend on the SIN-AMS-EWR flight. The UA suite is obviously much better in space and comfort. However, I found the spacebed quite comfortable.

As others have noted, the IFE on SQ is phenomenal. I also felt quality of food had improved. Service, of course, is fantastic. While I have always been in the camp of those who feel quality of seat far outweighs all other factors put together, I must say I really enjoyed the SQ flight in a way I don't with UA. It is just a pleasure to know that all of the flight attendants are helpful and providing excellent service. One's water glass is never empty and there is ample high quality food available anytime (e.g. fruit, chocolates, etc.). Even with the supposedly upgraded UA first service, there is inadequate fresh fruit and water available in either first or business. Most annoying, the percentage of grumpy or rude flight attendants is just too high. While I try to ignore them, my recent SQ flight showed me my mood and attitude are much improved when I'm surrounded by pleasant flight attendants.

zvezda Jun 3, 2004 10:22 am

I few months ago, I flew HKG-SFO in UA F instead of SQ C. I kicked myself for making such a mistake. While the seat was better, the lack of curtains, prison matron service, poor inflight entertainment system, and inferior food combined to make the experience unpleasant. I'll take SQ C over UA F at the same price any day.