Man jumps off SIA plane at Changi

Old May 11, 04, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold, Hyatt Diamond

A SWISS man jumped off a stationary Singapore Airlines aircraft at Changi airport after opening a cabin door and punching a flight attendant who tried to stop him.

The 22-year-old student, who apparently had too much to drink, leapt off the Zurich-bound plane while it was awaiting clearance for take-off at midnight on Sunday.

He landed on the tarmac unhurt and was detained by ground staff.

Police spokesman Victor Keong said that on the advice of the Attorney-General, the man was given a stern warning yesterday and left for Zurich on a flight last night.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/top...50337,00.html?
Old May 11, 04, 4:23 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Exclamation

Huh........???? Im surprised the basket case got off so easy. Havent read the article, but if he assaulted a FA, plus delayed the flight..... I cant believe SQ did not prosecute him...
Old May 11, 04, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
I can't believe this. I suspect that if he were Singaporean or other Asian, he would have been jailed and tried and convicted for assault, battery, and disorderly conduct, as well as delaying airport and aircraft operations.

He probably got off because he's white.

Last edited by Buster CT1K; May 11, 04 at 8:11 am
Old May 11, 04, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I can't believe this. I suspect that if he were Singaporean or other Asian, he would have been jailed and tried and convicted for assault, battery, and disorderly conduct, as well as delaying airport and aircraft operations.

He probably got off because he's white.
while i wholeheartedly agree that something doesn't quite add up here, i wouldn't go so far as to suggest that he got off 'because he's white'....
Old May 11, 04, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Something isn't right

Sorry, I find this one hard to believe.

If the aircraft was waiting for clearance to takeoff wouldn't the exit doors already be armed and thus deploy the evacuation slide once the door was opened. If this really happened I can't believe that nothing happened to the person. SQ is not going to let someone deploy a slide and then say oh well, just go home.
Old May 11, 04, 10:08 pm

Programs: SQ TPP24, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
I am guessing that the plane was still at the gate, waiting for a go ahead to push back , not take off .
Old May 11, 04, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StarG
I am guessing that the plane was still at the gate, waiting for a go ahead to push back , not take off .
Since the "cabin doors were not locked," I think the plane was waiting for push back, too. I'm guessing the aircraft entry doors were still open; otherwise, the flight attendants should have already armed the doors.
Old May 11, 04, 11:59 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I agree with all the above comments... I just dont understand why the paper would just report this in the way it did.... what about checking of sources...?????? Is there a follow up story...?

Also, there are usually fines associated with delaying a scheduled flight, this delay could have caused some SQ pax to miss connections and require compensation.
Old May 14, 04, 5:31 am
Original Poster

here's the follow up story...

Swiss who leapt off plane had depression
He was recovering from psychological problems and was on his way home after a therapy trip to Thailand, his father explains

By K. C. Vijayan

THE father of the Swiss passenger who jumped off a stationary Singapore Airlines aircraft on Sunday at Changi Airport has explained that his son acted rashly because of psychological problems.

Speaking to The Straits Times on the phone, Mr Alois Kayumba, 49, said that his only son, David, 22, had been recovering from depression and was returning from a three-month therapy trip to Thailand when the incident occurred.

There was a good deal of speculation on why David had been allowed to go with a mere slap on the wrist. But his personal problems seem to explain why the authorities did not take a hard stand.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sin...50758,00.html?

Search this Thread