Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-JNB-SIN in C class

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2004, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Red face SIN-JNB-SIN in C class

We have just purchased two award tickets for Sept from SIN-JNB and back. We have never been on SQ's business class. I heard good things about it. Can anyone ellaborate? It's a 1AM flight out of SIN on 777. Is it too much to expect some of SQ's good amenities from flying Business Class (What are we getting anyway)? Is "Book The Cook" available on this route?
Old May 9, 2004, 8:53 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
I hate to say that SQ does not give generous amenities in Raffles Class. However, all (or most) that you need during the flight are there.
Toothbrush sets, comb, body lotion, cologne, etc. are available in the restroom drawer.
Eyeshades and sockettes are usually handed out to each passengers for medium to long haul flights.
Ask for a 'writing kit' and playing cards if you want some SQ souvenir.

On the brighter side, the focus on SQ is in its inflight service.
If you have never tried SQ Raffles Class, you might be in for the best inflight service in J.
SIN-JNB should offer Book the Cook.
SpaceBed seats are offered on this flight.
Audio and Video on demand should be available as you will be travelling on a two class B777-200ER. This is arguably the BEST in industry.

In summary, look forward to an enjoyable flight (not to set your expectations too high).
Old May 9, 2004, 9:01 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
StarG has summed it up nicely. SQ is Raffles Class is an excellent product. I strongly suggest you call and Book the Cook, just remember to plan ahead and get your orders in 48 hours before your flight.
Old May 9, 2004, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Talking Seat Questions..

Thanks for the quick reply. My other question is, which seats to choose ? Is their Business class seats' configuration similar to BA's? Where some would be facing forward and the other would be facing aft?

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2004, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA,UA,NW,CO,AQ,HA
RE: Seats

Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
Thanks for the quick reply. My other question is, which seats to choose ? Is their Business class seats' configuration similar to BA's? Where some would be facing forward and the other would be facing aft?

Thanks!
Check out this site: www.seatguru.com should be able to check best location for the type of aircraft and class. Good luck!
Old May 9, 2004, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sydny
Check out this site: www.seatguru.com should be able to check best location for the type of aircraft and class. Good luck!
Sydny,

I know about that website but it doesn't list SQ's equipments. They only have US carriers on their list.
Old May 9, 2004, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SQ website has seatmap. You just need to find out what a/c you're flying and the config (eg 747's and 777's have several), which you can get by making dummy booking for example.
Old May 9, 2004, 10:48 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
If you have segments on a 744, try to get upper deck seats. On the 777, I usually dont care for much more than getting either a window or aisle, depending on what I fancy at the time of my travel.
Old May 10, 2004, 12:37 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Row 11 for extra generous legroom.
Drawback: no cocoon style environment as you are exposed to the whole cabin (same as mentioned in another thread regarding row 17 on B744).

Other than this row, I like all the other seats equal .
Old May 10, 2004, 7:05 am

Yes, just select whatever you like better (window or aisle seat). All of the seats are very much the same, BUT be sure to check that your seat is working as soon as you have boarded and request another seat if something (eg. recline) is not working.
I hope that most of the problems the seats had in the beginning have been fixed by now, but it will definetely be better to check first.
Have a good flight!

Torsten
Old May 10, 2004, 8:36 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
All seats face forwards.
Old May 11, 2004, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies... I managed to get us row 11 for both flights. I'm so looking forward to be on SQ's J class. We are also studying the "Book the Cook" deal out of SIN. I know this option isn't available out of JNB.

What is the most popular meals that people choose out of SIN? Is the Japanese meal any good?

Last edited by SeaMeFly; May 11, 2004 at 9:44 am
Old May 12, 2004, 10:29 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
What is the most popular meals that people choose out of SIN? Is the Japanese meal any good?
Out of SIN, probably the safest bet is to order one of the Singapore specialities. While not bad, I've still felt somehow guilty sitting in Raffles Class and getting served chicken rice that I could get for a couple of dollars in any hawker center in Singapore! Might be different if you don't live here, though.

I'd suggest searching the forum for 'book the cook'--there have been several discussions about the best choices, including pros and cons on the Japanese meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.