Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

20/21MAY24 SQ321 LHR-SIN diverts to BKK [due to severe turbulence]

Old May 21, 2024, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite

Last last night's SQ 321 from LHR has diverted to BKK. Seems to have successfully landed BKK short time ago. Cause still not disclosed.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Apparently due to severe turbulence...if reports out of Thailand are accurate it sounds quite serious.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Thanks. Not good. Let's hope no casualties or seriously injured. I suppose more info will be released later.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:15 am

BBC are reporting a fatality
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
BBC reporting one death.
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
BBC News is reporting that one passenger was killed, with multiple others injured
Old May 21, 2024, 4:18 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
SQ released the following statement on FB:

Singapore Airlines flight #SQ321, operating from London (Heathrow) to Singapore on 21 May 2024, encountered severe turbulence en-route. The aircraft diverted to Bangkok and landed at 1545hrs local time. We can confirm that there are injuries and one fatality on board the Boeing 777-300ER. There were a total of 211 passengers and 18 crew on board. Singapore Airlines offers its deepest condolences to the family of the deceased. Our priority is to provide all possible assistance to all passengers and crew on board the aircraft. We are working with the local authorities in Thailand to provide the necessary medical assistance, and sending a team to Bangkok to provide any additional assistance needed. We will provide regular updates on our Facebook and X accounts
Old May 21, 2024, 4:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Thai press agency apparently saying there were 30 people injured in addition to the fatality.

Last edited by crazy8534; May 21, 2024 at 4:38 am
Old May 21, 2024, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
Oh dear, that's awful. Has this ever happened before? I recall reading about a Qantas flight which had injuries from passengers/crew basically hitting the ceiling, but actually dying?
I'm heading to Singapore in a couple of weeks.... I always strap in when seated/lying down, but still.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:46 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Thankfully rare. Possible sudden wind shear turbulence with no opportunity to put the seatbelt signs on? In any case, another good reminder why seatbelts shouldn't be off just because the sign isn't on.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Wow. How sad! That must have been a terrible and terrifying experience. So sad that someone died and so many were injured. Awful news. Stay safe everyone.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:54 am

CNA has picture of rubbish strewn cabin:
​​​​​​https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...angkok-4352051
Old May 21, 2024, 5:12 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Very sad. And a reminder to those complaining here, most often about US airlines, that FAs staying seated during flights where turbulence is expected (but never shows) is not so they can be lazy and avoid giving you a Fanta.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:23 am
s3m

Originally Posted by chacor
Thankfully rare. Possible sudden wind shear turbulence with no opportunity to put the seatbelt signs on? In any case, another good reminder why seatbelts shouldn't be off just because the sign isn't on.
How much difference does being belted make during extreme turbulence? I imagine the majority of injuries come from people out of their seats and loose items in the cabin. Remaining belted seems sensible in any case (as it reduces risk of being thrown around the cabin) but I wonder what reduction that has on injury in practice.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
My goodness how awful. I'm reminded of a flight which I took that travelled above what turned out to be a devastating hurricane many years ago. I was sitting at the very back of the plane and the FAs were collecting rubbish when extreme turbulence struck. I knew it was serious when the FAs dropped their bags and ran back to their seats and buckled themselves in. They themsleves were afraid but still managed to calm the nearby passengers who were extremely distressed.
Kannai and Fatdickie like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.