Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

20/21MAY24 SQ321 LHR-SIN diverts to BKK [due to severe turbulence]

20/21MAY24 SQ321 LHR-SIN diverts to BKK [due to severe turbulence]

Old May 21, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by ente_09
Impressive that these planes can take such abuse and still stay intact.
been in bad turbulence and people were fearful that the wings would come off
I really can't agree with this more.
Stratoliner777 likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
SQ's response team is now in BKK, according to their latest statement.
Old May 21, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
My guess is they all flew up on that aircraft (A350). That will be used as a rescue plane for the passengers that want/can go onto SIN. That 77W is going to be in BKK for a few days.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:21 pm

Let's call it what it is - a freak accident. Many planes pass every day over the Bay of Bengal or the Intertropical Convergence Zone in general without suffering such an extreme event. There's a myriad of more likely ways of dying than 'hitting the ceiling in an airplane'. That's not to say that buckling up when possible is a bad idea, though I suspect not many people will be buckled up for the entirety of a London-Singapore flight.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:42 pm

Turbulence is such a an innocent term. They need to use a different term because from the pictures, this plane hit a motherlode.

That sudden drop and head smashing against ceiling/ luggage bin enough to dent means the people who suffered impact could have pretty severe head trauma. Hope there's no more fatality or long-term injury.
Stratoliner777, joy16 and lsquare like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:46 pm

9V-SHH operating SQ9071 is en route from BKK to SIN carrying those who did want to make the onward journey, should be landing around 5am local.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is good that the plane landed safely without more issues. That cabin was so messy, any evacuation would have been difficult. I wonder what the cabin crew could do / need to do in this situation...
Old May 21, 2024, 2:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN
FR24 provided more granular data in their blog post.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/1...21-turbulence/

Old May 21, 2024, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by chacor
9V-SHH operating SQ9071 is en route from BKK to SIN carrying those who did want to make the onward journey, should be landing around 5am local.
This rescue flight is now on the ground at SIN.
lsquare, wrp96 and MM00LL2 like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ente_09
Impressive that these planes can take such abuse and still stay intact.
been in bad turbulence and people were fearful that the wings would come off
There is no need to worry about the plane, they are designed to take more than was encountered by the SQ flight.
pWei, Stratoliner777 and mnhusker like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

avhearld https://avherald.com/h?article=518e5d47&opt=0
<snip>
According to ADS-B data the speed over ground of the aircraft dropped rapidly by about 20 knots prior to starting the (controlled) descent from FL370 to FL310. The data also reveal the aircraft had experienced an altitude deviation of -100/+300 feet about 350nm westnorthwest of Bangkok while enroute at FL370 over Myanmar about 15 minutes earlier.
<snip>
Old May 21, 2024, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I think I just lost some brain cells reading comments on that link.
SKT-DK and lsquare like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:45 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Unhappy

Singapore Airlines is definitely an airline I trust. If passengers don't follow the cabin crew instructions then what can one do?
Unless I really need to get up to use the restroom I am keeping my safety belt fastened at all times during flight.
EmailKid, kenken, SFO777 and 11 others like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:05 pm

the pilots should have some awareness from previous data and trends over Bay of Bengal or ICZ ?

Buckling up is always a good idea. But this happens during a second final meal service. People would be up and around to use toilet etc.

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Let's call it what it is - a freak accident. Many planes pass every day over the Bay of Bengal or the Intertropical Convergence Zone in general without suffering such an extreme event. There's a myriad of more likely ways of dying than 'hitting the ceiling in an airplane'. That's not to say that buckling up when possible is a bad idea, though I suspect not many people will be buckled up for the entirety of a London-Singapore flight.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by terbangalways
the pilots should have some awareness from previous data and trends over Bay of Bengal or ICZ ?

Buckling up is always a good idea. But this happens during a second final meal service. People would be up and around to use toilet etc.
Really, avoiding reported tubulence this can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Other than using the weather radar to identify and try and avoid large thnderstorms, Pilots can (and do) report in bad weather/turbulence via Pilot Reports (PIREP), but it remains a ‘big sky’ and conditions reported by one aircraft may not be encountered by another. Thoughts are with all pax and crew affected by this rare event.
wrp96, DiamondMile and Harper50505 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.