Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

20/21MAY24 SQ321 LHR-SIN diverts to BKK [due to severe turbulence]

20/21MAY24 SQ321 LHR-SIN diverts to BKK [due to severe turbulence]

Old May 21, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Given BKK is an outstation and SQ has a team en route to BKK, I don't think it would make sense for SQ to hold a press conference without being on the ground.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by jxd
And yet no press conference from SQ and/or Singapore authorities. Not a very look good IMHO.
im not sure what meaningful press conference singapore authorities and sq can make given the sq team is still on the way over and they cant get accurate first hand information compared to thai authorities. transport minister and the president has provided their statements based on whatever is available
Old May 21, 2024, 7:31 am

Based on the flight data and interview with a passenger I think the flight hit CAT over the Bay of Bengal, which is notorious for such turbulence this time of year. This probably caused the plane to buffet and lose air speed, causing the autopilot to pitch up, as claimed by a passenger.

Obviously very tragic and unforeseen but it is interesting to note that SQ operates the B777 on this route, which cruises at FL370 vs A350s which typically cruise at FL410 (Malaysian Airlines operates the A350 on a similar route to KL). Based on a study by turbulence researchers at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) at these altitudes the incidence of reported turbulence decreases with altitude. With the incidence of reported CAT increasing with global warming, I'd personally be more comfortable flying on A350s.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by iceflyer001
im not sure what meaningful press conference singapore authorities and sq can make given the sq team is still on the way over...
In today's information environment i is important for authoritative sources to appear quickly, however non-specific their details may be, or just as quickly unreliable narrators will fill the void with rumors and misinformation.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by snuffi
Oh dear, that's awful. Has this ever happened before? I recall reading about a Qantas flight which had injuries from passengers/crew basically hitting the ceiling, but actually dying?
I'm heading to Singapore in a couple of weeks.... I always strap in when seated/lying down, but still.
Yes... in 1997, there was one fatality aboard a United Airlines 747 en route from Honolulu to Tokyo due to turbulence. I believe it was later reported that the passenger was seated, without a seatbelt on, and hit their head on the overhead compartments.

The previous year, an Air France 747 en route from Johannesburg to Paris experienced severe turbulence. No one lost their lives onboard the aircraft, but one passenger later passed away in the hospital as a result of injuries sustained during the turbulence.

Last edited by GoldenArgosy; May 21, 2024 at 7:38 am Reason: spelling
Old May 21, 2024, 7:41 am

The BBC have reported that it was a 73-year old British man, who likely died of a heart attack. Very sad.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
In today's information environment i is important for authoritative sources to appear quickly, however non-specific their details may be, or just as quickly unreliable narrators will fill the void with rumors and misinformation.
SQ has provided updates on the no. of injuries, no. undergoing treatment on their social media pages. i agree it is important for authoritative sources to appear quickly, in this case unfortunately as the plane did not land in singapore, the authoritative sources best able to provide accurate information imo would be the thai airport authorities, which they have done so. authoritative sources need to appear quickly, but they must also be accurate, without the proper resources on the ground, i don think sq can provide that unfortunately. if authoritative sources are quick but are also speculative, it ends up being a source of misinformation again
joy16, wrp96 and chacor like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:48 am

So far, SQ's updates, online, with its statements have been pretty rapid and to the point. I think they had a statement out within 30 min of the plane landing, posted on their social media channels.

One area, however, that differs from some other carriers is that there appears to be no updates on the airline's website as of yet (currently about 9:45 PM SGT).
Old May 21, 2024, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by iceflyer001
im not sure what meaningful press conference singapore authorities and sq can make given the sq team is still on the way over and they cant get accurate first hand information compared to thai authorities. transport minister and the president has provided their statements based on whatever is available
SIA's crisis management team is due to land in about 90 minutes or so.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:59 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
The description was of the plane suddenly dropping several thousand feet and anyone not strapped in hit their heads on the ceiling. There are photos of luggage lockers with dents in them and many people with injuries to their heads. I have a friend who was aircrew on the plane who shared some photos of the inside - not going to share - but it looks like the plane was thrown all over the place. Rubbish in the galley. People with blood running down their faces.
Old May 21, 2024, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
I know it is OT, but 18 crew members?

I would expect 3 pilots and 10-11 FAs - or I'm completely wrong for SQ flights?
Old May 21, 2024, 8:04 am

Different figures about the drop are being stated in different places but using one, 6000 feet in 3 minutes that would be about 23 mph. I seem to remember that your muscles cannot brace or restrain you at that speed even if you are anticipating it. Given that force might have fluctuated wildly it can imagine anything not very firmly attached would take to the air with little that could be done about it.
Old May 21, 2024, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One small blessing is that Bangkok has some world class medical facilities. One of the better places to be diverted to.
Old May 21, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Looks like unfortunately this turbulence was about 2 hours before landing. Not familiar with that route, but looking at the photos and whatnot, it looks like this was around the time of the final meal service - lunch before landing?
ChrisBub and mnhusker like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I know it is OT, but 18 crew members?

I would expect 3 pilots and 10-11 FAs - or I'm completely wrong for SQ flights?
4 pilots for LHR-SIN, and SQ have a good cabin crew staff ratio
SKT-DK, lsquare, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.