Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

20/21MAY24 SQ321 LHR-SIN diverts to BKK [due to severe turbulence]

20/21MAY24 SQ321 LHR-SIN diverts to BKK [due to severe turbulence]

Old May 21, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by s3m
How much difference does being belted make during extreme turbulence? I imagine the majority of injuries come from people out of their seats and loose items in the cabin. Remaining belted seems sensible in any case (as it reduces risk of being thrown around the cabin) but I wonder what reduction that has on injury in practice.
Not becoming one of those flying objects yourself definitely reduces the risk of injury
Old May 21, 2024, 5:30 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Looks like the aircraft suffered a 6,000ft drop in 4 minutes from 37,000 to 31,000.
swampwiz and SxMan like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: Life
Thai media now reporting 2 dead..on such occasions one does wonder the shallowness of miles and points..
arcanium and AJNEDC like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by s3m
How much difference does being belted make during extreme turbulence? I imagine the majority of injuries come from people out of their seats and loose items in the cabin. Remaining belted seems sensible in any case (as it reduces risk of being thrown around the cabin) but I wonder what reduction that has on injury in practice.
From the Guardian…
A passenger onboard the Singapore Airlines flight that had to make an emergency landing in Bangkok has recounted the terrifying descent to Reuters.

Dzafran Azmir, 28, said:
Suddenly the aircraft starts tilting up and there was shaking so I started bracing for what was happening, and very suddenly there was a very dramatic drop so everyone seated and not wearing seatbelt was launched immediately into the ceiling.

Some people hit their heads on the baggage cabins overhead and dented it, they hit the places where lights and masks are and broke straight through it.
It wasn't just people out of their seats.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:47 am

Horrible and sad news. Hopefully everyone who was injured recovers and that there are no additional fatalities.

[Comment removed by mod]

Saw a posting elsewhere that turbulence is common around the Bay of Bengal, so much so that SQ flights may regularly suspend meal service at certain points -- true???

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 21, 2024 at 7:46 am
Old May 21, 2024, 5:50 am

Pretty secondary right now in the big picture, but FR24 is showing the onward flight will depart BKK for SIN tomorrow at 16:45.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:01 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I just saw in one of the twitter feed shared, that this plane is the one with the white Star Alliance livery - I am pretty sure after this incident, SQ is not going to go for any special liveries anymore - superstition on these special liveries which ends up with such major incidents.
I remembered reading somewhere that they avoided the default black tail but opted for the white one to avoid such situation and yet now this incident....

Condolence to the families for those who lost their live due to this, and speedy recovery to those injured. Such a sad incident. The area is always prone to heavy turbulence as far as I have flown along that area.

Cheers!
planes&trains likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
Saw a posting elsewhere that turbulence is common around the Bay of Bengal, so much so that SQ flights may regularly suspend meal service at certain points -- true???
Yes the turbulence can be bad and I've seen service suspended on a few airlines when over the Bay of Bengal. The locations are random though, it's not defined certain points.
Stratoliner777 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:08 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I just saw in one of the twitter feed shared, that this plane is the one with the white Star Alliance livery
Yes, its 9V-SWM in *A livery. Definitely sad. Thunderstorms were reported in the area. SQ are always very cautious and turn on seat belt sign early on.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:12 am

As of 1950hrs Singapore time on 21 May 2024, 18 individuals have been hospitalised. Another 12 are being treated in hospitals. The remaining passengers and crew are being examined and given treatment, where necessary, at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok.
There were a total of 211 passengers and 18 crew on board.
Singapore Airlines offers its deepest condolences to the family of the deceased. We deeply apologise for the traumatic experience that our passengers and crew members suffered on this flight. We are providing all necessary assistance during this difficult time.
We are working with our colleagues and the local authorities in Thailand to provide the necessary assistance. A Singapore Airlines team is on the way to Bangkok to provide any additional assistance needed.

from SQ's FB
Old May 21, 2024, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by s3m
It reduces turbulence injury rates to virtually zero. If you get hurt belted in it’s because some idiot who was not belted in landed on top of you. Rarely a service cart might injure someone.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by demue
Yes, its 9V-SWM in *A livery. Definitely sad. Thunderstorms were reported in the area. SQ are always very cautious and turn on seat belt sign early on.
Thunderstorms are the cause of 98% of turbulence injuries.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Twitter pics show a cabin that is in utter shambles and passengers and cabin crew who are quite distressed (with very good reason).

[link to X images removed]
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 21, 2024 at 6:58 am Reason: Link removed by mod.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:19 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by s3m
It is quite simple: Your wear a seat belt and your chances of getting hurt are very slim. You are not wearing a seatbelt because you are moving in the cabin or because you just don't and the risk is high. I have encountered severe turbulence and the FA I was talking to and I were lifted to the ceiling and then crash landed on the floor together. This wouldn't have happened in my seat wearing a seat belt.
lsquare, lsquare, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Terrible !

“The Ruamkatanyu Foundation reported that at least 30 people were injured. The final figure and the nature of the injuries have not been confirmed.”
[content added to comply with rules on linking to outside sites]

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...t-suvarnabhumi

Last edited by l etoile; May 21, 2024 at 7:21 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.