Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

20/21MAY24 SQ321 LHR-SIN diverts to BKK [due to severe turbulence]

20/21MAY24 SQ321 LHR-SIN diverts to BKK [due to severe turbulence]

Old Jun 23, 2024, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
I *suppose* it might be considered in bad taste to celebrate, but seems like overreaction to me. Maybe thereís a 3 month moratorium on such celebrations, inflight music, etc?
Who knows? The moratorium (or as a local blogger called it, self-imposed mourning) is to be decided, however long or short, by SQ.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:54 pm

to be fair, on the launch for SQ312, they did reinstate the boarding and landing music. on my return flight (SQ319 ex-LHR), itís back to silence without the boarding music again. i guess SQ is still very much carrying out their ďself-imposed mourningĒ. i guess we can call the LGW flight a soft launch.

on another note, it is also quite heartening to see how much SQ has improved over the past month. initially, after the incident, whenever the seatbelt signs were turned on, the crew would appear pretty apprehensive and quickly took their seats. a month on, their procedure for turbulence seems a lot more organized and coordinated - who would go where, who would take their seats first etc.
Stratoliner777 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 4:27 am

Just flew back from Brussels on 24 June... boarding music was off but landing music was back on.

Simply had no appetite to eat breakfast about 5 hours prior to landing, rather soon after the full dinner before. Only about 30% of the J cabin ate it, while the rest continued to sleep. It was admittedly weird to have lights come on and be served breakfast, only for the lights to dim again for people to go back to sleep.

Crew were all strapped in when flying above the Andaman Sea with noticeable turbulence.
Stratoliner777 and HadesNL like this.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 8:47 am

SQ 711 today - it took about 25 minutes for the seatbelt sign to be turned off.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 2:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Crew were all strapped in when flying above the Andaman Sea with noticeable turbulence.
Thank you for sharing your experience,
i might be in the minority but above the Andaman sea, i find it always wobbly and always relieved when i can finish up breakfast/supper on SQ324/SQ323 ASAP
Old Jun 27, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Just flew back from Brussels on 24 June... boarding music was off but landing music was back on.

Simply had no appetite to eat breakfast about 5 hours prior to landing, rather soon after the full dinner before. Only about 30% of the J cabin ate it, while the rest continued to sleep. It was admittedly weird to have lights come on and be served breakfast, only for the lights to dim again for people to go back to sleep.

Any recent experiences from anyone flying to Europe ex SIN re: meal service disruption? Assume breakfast is still being served in a semi-normal fashion closer to arrival into a destination such as LHR?
Old Jun 28, 2024, 4:06 am
Suspended

From what you say it sounds like you acknowledge service wouldn't (and shouldn't) have been possible in the later phases of flight, so I'm not sure the issue? It's either serve earlier or don't serve at all. Given the time of year, conditions over the Andaman sea are not going to allow for meal service a lot of the time. I hope people here aren't suggesting they should be serving meals while flying through areas of convective turbulence? If this has been the norm on Singapore Airlines until now then it suggests they have been something of an outlier, most decent carriers I know won't have their crew up and about serving meals while weaving between thunderstorms. And nor should they. I for one don't want crew risking a broken spine to make my eating time slightly more convenient. Qantas of course go even further and the rule is 'anytime the seatbelt sign is on, crew sit down too'. If pax on SQ have gotten too used to them being a bit more lax then too bad really.

Or depending on what they already know about the incident, SQ may have decided they want to give their pilots a refresher on weather radar operation and until then are being extra cautious... Maybe there is some good reason they didn't see the storm before barrelling straight into the cell, but every other flight in the same area deviated. What really beggars belief is that even if they didn't see the specific cell they were clearly in an area of significant convective activity and didn't have the seatbelt sign on (as verified by the preliminary report). Which suggests a fairly astonishing lack of situational awareness up front. Or maybe the pilots were aware of the reaction on internet forums if they suspend meal service. Itīs odd given these pilots will fly in areas of this kind of weather so often, but complacency can set in, other distractions, and weather radar use takes a lot of skill and interpretation, many pilots complain it isn't given sufficient attention in training and that the 777-300 radar can be a little tricky at times and needs a lot of manual intervention, not simply relying on auto mode. It will be interesting to see what the full report reveals.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by JayKiwi
Any recent experiences from anyone flying to Europe ex SIN re: meal service disruption? Assume breakfast is still being served in a semi-normal fashion closer to arrival into a destination such as LHR?
I'm extremely curious about this too...breakfast 5 hours before landing is absurd, particularly since no other rival carrier is doing that...it's enough of a differentiator to make some want to choose another airline than SQ.

I wonder what happens if a passenger requests breakfast at a more normal time...? Moreover what is happening to the carefully planned meal schedules for their ULR flights such as SIN-EWR?
Old Jun 29, 2024, 1:15 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
I'll be flying BRU-SIN in a few weeks and breakfast 5 hours out with a 2.5y old as well will surely get me to raise another service complaint. For the price we pay for a direct flight I expect as much uninterrupted sleep as possible and this is possible on another carrier but not SQ? Outside factors I get that these can disrupt a flight but this is pro-actively interrupting passengers, regardless of the situation and it just bad customer service all around.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 1:00 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
Data point : Last nights SQ51 MAN-SIN served breakfast 5 hrs out in Econ/prem economy, but only 90 min out in business.

There was intermittent mild turbulence around a series of storms in India eastward through Malaysia.
HadesNL and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by emma dog
Data point : Last nights SQ51 MAN-SIN served breakfast 5 hrs out in Econ/prem economy, but only 90 min out in business.
At 5 hrs out, what time is that in England and Singapore? Sounds more like dinner than breakfast?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Interested in more data points if they've resorted to pre-SQ321 incident service in J but continue to sustain that in Y and PY.
Singapore_Air, HadesNL and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 1:58 am

Hi Volante-feliz - Could you elaborate please on 'the 777-300 radar can be a little tricky at times and needs a lot of manual intervention, not simply relying on auto mode.' As one of the 211 passengers onboard SQ321 on the 20 May I'm keen to learn more and am looking forward to the final report too - even though it could be months away. Thanks.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 2:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I rather have no breakfast or supper than that Bay of Bengal turbulence throws my meal to the ceiling and topples my drinks on my lap, clothes, electronics etc. As i'm blessed with an extremely weak bladder, it does give me concern about using the lavatories.... i already seat myself in the vicinity of the loos (i for one do not find seats next to the toilet the undesirable ones) and as such can easily discretely get in an out at every whim.
With seatbelt signs staying on longer and more attention to staying strapped in, i might have to see if i should apply and wear the Rosell Industrial Brothers latest product: Mrs. Ladypants as endorsed by Victoria Chase. For those in America, as Joan Rivers endorsed Depend: " while i'm talking to you i can take a dump" ...l it might the only way forward to beat the lavatory queues and to hold on during the long seatbelt sign on times ...
Spoiler

SamirD likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 1, 2024 at 2:20 am
Old Jul 1, 2024, 3:22 pm

3 further data points to be added:

SQ312 (21/06/2024): Second meal service served approximately 2-3h from landing in LGW.

SQ326 (27/06/2024): Second meal service served 4h from landing BUT I have to caveat this by saying that the crew decided to do this proactively because itís a daytime flight, and they were receiving many requests for food as well. Seems to mirror my experience on SQ308 (21/05/2024), which is also a daytime flight to Europe.

SQ319 (23/06/2024): Second meal service served approximately 2-3h before landing (for Y). I checked my time stamps just to be sure, but the crew took my order and served me before serving the rest of economy cabin. It can generally be assumed the meal service was served approximately 2.5-2h before landing in SIN.

Ultimately, I think the decision of when to serve the meals is down to the discretion of the IFM, who probably had already consulted the pilots. My guess is that, ex-SIN, meal service timing is just based on pre-SQ321. However, for flights going into SIN, I would assume that the crew would want to start slightly earlier (rather than 2h before) just to give themselves some leeway to complete a full service in case they get strapped in for prolonged periods of time. On SQ345 (30/05/2024), the crew did attempt to serve breakfast 1.5-2h before landing, but were left strapped in too long and had to modify service. Probably the correct approach, is to perhaps start approximately 2.5h before landing, but to wake up the separate economy cabins (using the mood lighting) at different times, such that they do not wake pax up too early, and yet can get meal service done.

But then again, Iím just a lowly ex-intern in SQ whoís now enjoying being a pax reading flyertalk lmao Iím pretty sure the smarter brains in SSQH will figure these things out.

Stratoliner777 and SamirD like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.