Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Urgent Waitlist Query - half flight available.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World

I just received an email that my saver waitlist cleared for one segment of my flight (half way) and the other segment is cancelled. I already have advantage fare booked for the exact same flight for both segments. Is there a way for me to avail saver fare for the one eligible segment and keep advantage for the other segment? Just so I don’t pay exorbitantly for the whole journey?

I’m Elite Gold (not that it matters IMo), and I’m planning to call, but thought I’d ask here first.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:17 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
If one leg as Saver + one leg as Advantage is fewer points than the combined route as Advantage (not necessarily the case, you will have to check the award charts) you might be able to do it by phoning up. It would require cancellation of your existing award (with cancellation fee) BUT I don't know whether agents can tell in advance whether a ticket will return to the redemption pool or whether the seat will be transferred to the revenue pool, and in any case the availability of segments as awards varies depending on the start and end points ("married segment" logic e.g. HND-SIN-LHR available but not SIN-LHR). I really doubt that phone agents have access to this level of information.

Short answer, it will be difficult and time consuming - possibly not worth the miles saved (you didn't say how many miles we're talking about here). And in the worst case scenario you get an incompetent agent who cancels your ticket and have to fight to get it reinstated, or you fall afoul of married segment logic and lose the ticket.
aquaroohi likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World
Originally Posted by onlySIA
If one leg as Saver + one leg as Advantage is fewer points than the combined route as Advantage (not necessarily the case, you will have to check the award charts) you might be able to do it by phoning up. It would require cancellation of your existing award (with cancellation fee) BUT I don't know whether agents can tell in advance whether a ticket will return to the redemption pool or whether the seat will be transferred to the revenue pool, and in any case the availability of segments as awards varies depending on the start and end points ("married segment" logic e.g. HND-SIN-LHR available but not SIN-LHR). I really doubt that phone agents have access to this level of information.

Short answer, it will be difficult and time consuming - possibly not worth the miles saved (you didn't say how many miles we're talking about here). And in the worst case scenario you get an incompetent agent who cancels your ticket and have to fight to get it reinstated, or you fall afoul of married segment logic and lose the ticket.
You are absolutely correct, and I appreciate the input.

I just got off the call from Krisflyer, they confirmed like you said that I would have to cancel what I have and then rebook only the first segment back - but risks outweigh the benefits here so I have decided to just keep my original.

It would’ve been easier if they had another advantage/saver available in the first segment as well, then I could just swap the whole journey. In my case, I’m the person releasing the advantage that I want for myself, which may trigger waitlist clear notifications and anyone could grab that in a matter of seconds.

It is also not worthwhile points wise as I may only get abt 10-20k miles back, if at all, like you said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.