Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Why are all the Perth-Singapore flights at such terrible times?

Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

This is more a gripe than a rant, but why are all the flights from Perth to Singapore at such terrible hours? One departs at 6:25 a.m., another lands at 10:35 p.m., and the third is a red-eye. Three flights a day, and yet not one at a decent hour!

SQ216 0110–0635
SQ224 0625–1145
SQ214 1710–2235

Obviously, this is crystal-ball territory, but any chance SQ might introduce a nice daytime flight?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:01 pm

Basically these timing are decided for the paxes to have a fast connection to other flights.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Presumably as they offer the most convenient connections . Although a fourth service - afternoon service, would connect well to India and west coast of the US, you'd think there'd be sufficient Perth/India demand to support this. Was the the fourth flight pre-COVID?
To have such a f flight to connect to US/India, you'd need a service that did PER-SIN 1225/1745 (to connect to the 1845 BOM flight), which would mean a 0600/1110 SIN-PER service.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:45 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RatherGhastly
This is more a gripe than a rant, but why are all the flights from Perth to Singapore at such terrible hours? One departs at 6:25 a.m., another lands at 10:35 p.m., and the third is a red-eye. Three flights a day, and yet not one at a decent hour!

SQ216 0110–0635
SQ224 0625–1145
SQ214 1710–2235

Obviously, this is crystal-ball territory, but any chance SQ might introduce a nice daytime flight?
We once took that SQ216 flight to connect onwards to TPE and then to Canada. Stayed at the hotel as late as we could (6pm) and then headed to airport. Nothing really to do but sit on a plastic seat waiting hours and hours for SQ to open check in. It felt like sitting in a bus station waiting area.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:19 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by mapleg
We once took that SQ216 flight to connect onwards to TPE and then to Canada. Stayed at the hotel as late as we could (6pm) and then headed to airport. Nothing really to do but sit on a plastic seat waiting hours and hours for SQ to open check in. It felt like sitting in a bus station waiting area.
To be honest, that's probably on you not the airline though, as long as they publish what time check in opens. I usually find something to do to avoid hitting the airport before checkin opens. I've taken heaps of midnight flights from various places and almost always means checking out earlier and leaving bags at hotel, doing something in the afternoon (or spending all day in meetings) , having dinner and then collecting bags and going to airport once checkin opens.

Last edited by lokijuh; Feb 5, 2023 at 10:39 pm
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: Skywards

SQ216 0110–0635
SQ224 0625–1145
SQ214 1710–2235

I am a bit confused. Why are those not decent hours?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:41 pm

Pre-Covid there used to be 4 flights SIN-PER-SIN. SQ213 arrived Perth 12:45pm and departed as SQ226 at 2:15pm.
lokijuh and email2markt like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:38 am

Yes. I took it a couple of times. Was on the A330 but those J seats weren't too bad for a day flight as a couple. However it wasn't particularly busy each time esp in economy so I'm not surprised it hasn't made a return (yet).
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
grass is always greener on other side.. We hk residents envy you singaporians with airlines that actually fly and govt that allows international travel... oops hk opened up and lucky to have 1 flight to perth every 2wk....

those are just fine hours.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coffee drinker
I am a bit confused. Why are those not decent hours?
Well, at the risk of stating the obvious, a 6:25 a.m. departure means waking up at an ungodly hour, a 10:35 p.m. is fine for European connections, but I dislike arrive at a final destination late at night, and the red-eye flight is too short to get any real sleep. From my perspective, at least, a mid-morning departure would be nice. At any rate, planning a trip in September, I think I am resigned to the red-eye as the least of three evils.
gobblercat and davidj1 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:03 am

I think those timings are fine. Anything later during the day would mean you lose at least half a day when flying. The red eye is super convenient in a way, you leave late night and arrive early morning. Even the 6 AM SIN departure is not bad, given that you reach Perth late morning/early afternoon making it easy to check in to hotels (usually check in starts 11 AM)
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh
To be honest, that's probably on you not the airline though, as long as they publish what time check in opens. I usually find something to do to avoid hitting the airport before checkin opens. I've taken heaps of midnight flights from various places and almost always means checking out earlier and leaving bags at hotel, doing something in the afternoon (or spending all day in meetings) , having dinner and then collecting bags and going to airport once checkin opens.
Oh, I know it's on me and not the airline, but the Perth Airport really is a desolate place
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by DiamondMile
Pre-Covid there used to be 4 flights SIN-PER-SIN. SQ213 arrived Perth 12:45pm and departed as SQ226 at 2:15pm.
There were plans for a 5th that never materialised because of Covid. Still nothing that would please the OP, though
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rom-june-2020/

Well, at the risk of stating the obvious, a 6:25 a.m. departure means waking up at an ungodly hour, a 10:35 p.m. is fine for European connections, but I dislike arrive at a final destination late at night, and the red-eye flight is too short to get any real sleep. From my perspective, at least, a mid-morning departure would be nice. At any rate, planning a trip in September, I think I am resigned to the red-eye as the least of three evils.
Are they badly timed because they don't suit you? SQ224, despite its early departure, is perfect for connections to LHR, CDG and JFK, to name a few. Clearly, SQ has connecting traffic in mind here.

In order to have a midmorning departure out of PER, they'd have to sacrifice the connecting potential of SQ224, or schedule an even later redeye out of SIN, which some people wouldn't be a fan of.

There's a decent chance the 4th daily will return this year. It gets into SIN around dinnertime, which works nicely for many.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
For me, SQ214 1710–2235 would be ideal. Leave at a time to get a decent dinner service on the flight, arrive late enough to beat jet lag in SIN (but not so late that it's going to be a ghost town when I get to the hotel).
But as others have noted, in choosing flight times they are trying to optimise multiple factors including connecting flights and turnaround time for aircraft and crew at PER, so most flights end up undesirable in some regard to some passengers.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by onlySIA
For me, SQ214 1710–2235 would be ideal. Leave at a time to get a decent dinner service on the flight, arrive late enough to beat jet lag in SIN (but not so late that it's going to be a ghost town when I get to the hotel).
I doubt jetlag is an issue for most people on PER-SIN.
lokijuh, argonath and tom tulpe like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.