Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Why are all the Perth-Singapore flights at such terrible times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are all the Perth-Singapore flights at such terrible times?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
singapore is sleepless city and 1035pm there is probably busier than 330pm in PER
Old Feb 6, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: QF, KF, CX, HH, SL
Totally agree.

We've flown SQ224 multiple times. After getting up at an ungodly hour, by the time we land in Singapore I'm ready for bed again.

A mid-morning departure would be perfect for us.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by gobblercat
A mid-morning departure would be perfect for us.
There is always the competition, QF71 which departs PER at 1125 arriving at 1645.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: QF, KF, CX, HH, SL
You're right, and we have already booked QF71 for our next trip to Singapore!

Shame really, as SIA service is a million times better than Qantas.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by lokijuh
There is always the competition, QF71 which departs PER at 1125 arriving at 1645.
I wonder if there's anyone in the QF forum complaining about the return QF72's timing (dep 1915 arr 0025)
fakecd, DiamondMile and gobblercat like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:31 pm

A 11 AM flight is even better.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
A 11 AM flight is even better.
this will mean a 440am departure from Singapore. So not good also.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
this will mean a 440am departure from Singapore. So not good also.
They could just have a plane RON in PER...
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
They could just have a plane RON in PER...
Which mean additional cost.

did The crews performing SIN-PER stay over at Perth or they are doing turnaround flight ?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytalkflyer
I think those timings are fine. Anything later during the day would mean you lose at least half a day when flying. The red eye is super convenient in a way, you leave late night and arrive early morning.
Yes, from the point of view of efficiency, these timings are fine, and I do understand the rationale for the existing timings. However, from the point of view of comfort (i.e., sleep), they’re not. I’m not saying that the existing flights don’t serve a purpose, but at least one option that doesn’t require a very early start, a very late arrival or a red-eye would be nice.

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Are they badly timed because they don't suit you?
I think there are objective reasons why these flight timings may be considered terrible, apart from any personal idiosyncrasies of mine. There is a reason why the LCC flights in Europe from the likes of RyanAir and EasyJet tend to leave very early in the morning or land very late at night, because no-one (I am exaggerating for hyperbole here, lest someone feels like challenging my ‘no-one’) likes to fly at these times, and therefore airport slots are cheap. As for red-eyes, I frequently fly between PER and SYD, and the red-eyes eastbound are generally the cheapest, again because most people prefer a day-time flight. That said, I am booked on the red-eye SQ216 later this year, for want of a better option.

Originally Posted by onlySIA
For me, SQ214 1710–2235 would be ideal. Leave at a time to get a decent dinner service on the flight, arrive late enough to beat jet lag in SIN (but not so late that it's going to be a ghost town when I get to the hotel).
Hmm... I don’t know if I agree with this. I think a 22:35 arrival is too late, because, by the time you get through immigration, collect your luggage and get to the hotel, it may well be approaching midnight. The last time I flew into SIN was on SQ222 arriving at 21:20, and I made my way to my hotel above the Tanglin Mall, where a friend picked me up around 22:30 to get a drink and have a chat, and we struggled to find much open beyond 23:00, although, granted, it was a Monday night.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I certainly understand your desire for a conveniently timed daytime flight - after all my favorite flight in SQ's network is SQ318. However, I think this is a case of simple airline economics. SQ would prefer not to have one its aircraft sit idle in Perth for longer than it needs to which is what would be required to have a mid morning PER departure (given current schedules). The goal is to avoid having an unproductive asset. If left idle for several hours, SQ would presumably be required to vacate the gate, have the plane towed to a parking area and towed back to the gate while incurring add'l PER parking/service fees. With the quick turnaround and early PER departure of SQ224, SQ is able to utilize that aircraft for some of the 1400~ SIN departures to North Asia. These aircraft then return to SIN as red-eyes...keeping the planes in the air (and at capacity!) is exactly what SQ wants.

This also explains easyJet and Ryanair - they are maximizing aircraft utilization by starting as early as possible. Their planes fly multiple rotations throughout the day and they pay appropriate slot fees for all hours of the day (not just early mornings). The cheaper price points of the earliest departures are to attract customers to those flights that would otherwise be avoided. Where they save is by often flying to secondary airports (and offering next to no service ).

Last edited by bpk6h; Feb 23, 2023 at 2:29 am
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Now I'm showing my age here, but for many years SQ 224 departed PER at 0850 and in 2011 started getting progressively earlier to settle on the current 0640. This timing was originally put in place to enable connectivity to SQ 318 as they wanted to have connections onto all four LHR flights, which has traditionally been the most important connection. That was before QF's nonstop PER-LHR flight, mind you.

Hopefully they bring back SQ 213 and SQ 226.
bpk6h and gobblercat like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:22 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by RatherGhastly
Hmm... I don’t know if I agree with this. I think a 22:35 arrival is too late, because, by the time you get through immigration, collect your luggage and get to the hotel, it may well be approaching midnight..
No sympathies! At least you're originating in the same time zone. During summer, the afternoon flights from SYD and MEL arrive at 21:20, which of course after midnight (00:20) "body clock time" and then the evening flights which actually arrive after midnight SG time (00:15/00:20) which is after 3am "body clock time".
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WISEMEN
Hopefully they bring back SQ 213 and SQ 226.
This is ultimately the answer to OP's question. I can only assume that SQ analyzed O&D and connecting traffic levels across the flight options and determined that 213/226 had the least demand of the various options and thus will be the last to be restarted.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by bpk6h
This is ultimately the answer to OP's question. I can only assume that SQ analyzed O&D and connecting traffic levels across the flight options and determined that 213/226 had the least demand of the various options and thus will be the last to be restarted.
It's interesting. I used to do these flights very frequently pre COVID. In my experience SQ 213 was actually busier than SQ 223, as it connected to most of the early am arrivals into Singapore. You're right about SQ 226 though, it was my favourite and more often than not seemed to have a fairly thin load. Anecdotally, most passengers seemed to terminate in Singapore, with a smattering of pax continuing on to Haneda and Jakarta. That fifth daily, announced in the early days of the pandemic, looks rather distant from where we are now...
bpk6h likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.