Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer

award change single segment, do ALL legs need to be available?

Old Nov 24, 22, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Award ticketed JFKFRASIN connecting to SINDPS.

Trying to change JFKSIN from direct to nonstop, now that A380 is out of the market. Nonstop has award availability.

Onward SINDPS does NOT have award availability, however, I'm already ticketed on it. Agent can not change segment #1 and retain segment #2. Agent only offers to discard original booking and start from scratch (which would force something like a 14 hour layover, based on current availability).

So, should I HUCA? Emirates is the only airline I've come across thus far that requires awards be available on ALL segments, even if only changing one. If this is policy at SQ, so be it. However, it's a less-than-optimally-trained agent, I'm inclined to keep trying.

Advise?

Thanks, Jamie
Old Nov 24, 22, 7:22 pm

SQ evaluates award availability same way revenue does - on an Origin-Destination basis, so JFKDPS must have award space on both segments in order for them to give it to you. I'm surprised SIN-DPS is constrained, given that they added more flights to DPS. Ah, noted you mention award space is only available on an option that has a 14hr layover. Basically if you do a fresh search JFK-DPS on the date you want - what you see online is what the agent can offer you.
Old Nov 25, 22, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Unfortunate (for me). I suppose I can call and ask, but if you happen to know the answer: can SQ divide the record? So, a long haul PNR and a second PNR for the short flight. If thats possible, then I could change from the direct to the nonstop.

No worries if you dont know, I just dont have the time to call right now.
Old Nov 25, 22, 2:29 pm

Programs: MH, AC
Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
Unfortunate (for me). I suppose I can call and ask, but if you happen to know the answer: can SQ divide the record? So, a long haul PNR and a second PNR for the short flight. If thats possible, then I could change from the direct to the nonstop.

No worries if you dont know, I just dont have the time to call right now.
PNRs can't be split that way. You can't carve individual segments to create multiple PNRs.
Old Nov 25, 22, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
PNRs can't be split that way. You can't carve individual segments to create multiple PNRs.
Thanks. Another reason US airlines outscore SQ for customer service, though I recognize this is an obscure ask. SQ continues to disappoint on virtually every aspect of travel save for in-flight. I truly miss CX.
Old Nov 25, 22, 5:21 pm

Thanks. Another reason US airlines outscore SQ for customer service, though I recognize this is an obscure ask. SQ continues to disappoint on virtually every aspect of travel save for in-flight. I truly miss CX.
No airline can split PNRs by segment, not even US carriers. PNRs just don't work that way.

The issue you're running into is likely caused by married segment logic, which SQ is far from alone in practicing. You didn't book JFKFRA + FRASIN + SINDPS individually, but JFKDPS. SQ may have released award space for JFKDPS but not JFKSIN and SINDPS. In other words, it's all-or-nothing if you're trying to change the itinerary.

It's also possible - given the state of SQ's call centre - that the agent is inexperienced and those segments aren't married. You'll have to HUACA to find out, as frustrating as it sounds.
Old Nov 25, 22, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
No airline can split PNRs by segment, not even US carriers. PNRs just don't work that way.

The issue you're running into is likely caused by married segment logic, which SQ is far from alone in practicing. You didn't book JFKFRA + FRASIN + SINDPS individually, but JFKDPS. SQ may have released award space for JFKDPS but not JFKSIN and SINDPS. In other words, it's all-or-nothing if you're trying to change the itinerary.

It's also possible - given the state of SQ's call centre - that the agent is inexperienced and those segments aren't married. You'll have to HUACA to find out, as frustrating as it sounds.
Fair points. What I am certain of, is that after ticketing JFKHKGDPS on CX, I can freely adjust JFKHKG without making changes to HKGDPS, even when no incremental awards are available on HKGDPS, as long as my HKG layover doesnt exceed the allotted time. As I can, with similar itineraries, on BA, AA, DL, JL, ET and KE, to name a few. Its unfortunate (for me) that SQ doesnt fall into this category. I could purchase SINDPS to solve for this, but I dont think its worth it just to avoid a stop in FRA. I respect that airlines arent sensitive to inflight products, but its still disappointing that SQ wont show some flexibility given the loss of the 380. I never would have selected a direct flight on the 77Wmy choice was solely a function of the 380.
Old Nov 25, 22, 5:58 pm

Fair points. What I am certain of, is that after ticketing JFKHKGDPS on CX, I can freely adjust JFKHKG without making changes to HKGDPS, even when no incremental awards are available on HKGDPS, as long as my HKG layover doesn’t exceed the allotted time. As I can, with similar itineraries, on BA, AA, DL, JL, ET and KE, to name a few. It’s unfortunate (for me) that SQ doesn’t fall into this category. I could purchase SINDPS to solve for this, but I don’t think it’s worth it just to avoid a stop in FRA. I respect that airlines aren’t sensitive to inflight products, but it’s still disappointing that SQ won’t show some flexibility given the loss of the 380. I never would have selected a direct flight on the 77W…my choice was solely a function of the 380.
SQ does have non-married segment award space as well. It just depends on your particular case.

Losing the A380 is no grounds for getting a free change, unless perhaps you booked a Suites award (which you presumably didn't). Every other class is marketed and priced the same, not to mention SQ never guaranteed a particular aircraft type.
Old Nov 25, 22, 8:49 pm

Didnt SQ send you an email asking you to contact them over the A380. You can try call them and ask. Tell them you dont like the 777. Prefer the direct A350

you can split the PNR. Just pay slightly more miles for the individual segment.

CX can allow changes as they charge based on the distance I think. SQ is based on point to point. So it cost the same miles to fly from JFK-SIN and JFK-DPS.
Old Nov 25, 22, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
In case it wasn't already clear, you cannot split a PNR to separate your segments. You can split a PNR to separate passengers on the same reservation, but not segments.

What you're suggesting is rerouting (not "splitting") the existing itinerary to end in SIN, which may or may not result in the same married segment issues, then purchasing an entirely separate SIN-DPS ticket.
Old Nov 25, 22, 10:55 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Didnt SQ send you an email asking you to contact them over the A380. You can try call them and ask. Tell them you dont like the 777. Prefer the direct A350

CX can allow changes as they charge based on the distance I think. SQ is based on point to point. So it cost the same miles to fly from JFK-SIN and JFK-DPS.
How would an agent split off SIN-DPS from JFK-(FRA)-SIN?

They could drop the SIN-DPS and convert to the direct JFK-SIN as it has award availability and all that would be done as a change to current booking and miles would remain the same as SIN & DPS are in the same zone. Then OP could book a separate SIN-DPS. Is that what you mean?

That would be same as just booking JFK-SIN separately and cancelling existing booking. One can drop the JFK-FRA-SIN and isolate (retain) the SIN-DPS, but this is an award change and NO miles would be refunded so one expensive DPS flight.

Overall not worth it at all in my book for an aircraft change (Biz seat is different between A388 and 77W), but up to the OP.

​​​​​​
Old Nov 26, 22, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by demue View Post
How would an agent split off SIN-DPS from JFK-(FRA)-SIN?

They could drop the SIN-DPS and convert to the direct JFK-SIN as it has award availability and all that would be done as a change to current booking and miles would remain the same as SIN & DPS are in the same zone. Then OP could book a separate SIN-DPS. Is that what you mean?

That would be same as just booking JFK-SIN separately and cancelling existing booking. One can drop the JFK-FRA-SIN and isolate (retain) the SIN-DPS, but this is an award change and NO miles would be refunded so one expensive DPS flight.

Overall not worth it at all in my book for an aircraft change (Biz seat is different between A388 and 77W), but up to the OP.

​​​​​​
yes, by splitting, that mean two individual segment. JFK-SIN and SIN-DPS, thus I say need more miles for the SIN-DPS as separate booking. TS can cancel the SIN-DPS segment and make changes to the JFk-SIN. Not the other way round
Old Nov 26, 22, 9:19 am
Original Poster

yes, by splitting, that mean two individual segment. JFK-SIN and SIN-DPS, thus I say need more miles for the SIN-DPS as separate booking. TS can cancel the SIN-DPS segment and make changes to the JFk-SIN. Not the other way round
what everyones experience been with awards going immediately back into award inventory? With EK its been 100% for me, CX 100% on long haul but not short haul.
Old Nov 26, 22, 11:58 pm

what everyones experience been with awards going immediately back into award inventory? With EK its been 100% for me, CX 100% on long haul but not short haul.
It is really depending on route and if there is any one on waitlist.

You better to try HUCA to get an experience agent to get your JFK-SIN change to non-stop.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Yesterday, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
It is really depending on route and if there is any one on waitlist.

You better to try HUCA to get an experience agent to get your JFK-SIN change to non-stop.
Ive given up. Ill just suck it up on the direct flight. I have a bigger battle now.

Return is SINJFK nonstop. Trying to change ticket to BWNSINJFK with a 1 day layover in SIN. Agents tell me a) pay for a separate BWNSIN award, or b) cancel SINJFK via a request to the cancellation department, wait an undetermined amount of time for miles to be credited back to account, and then book BWNSINJFK.

The obvious problem with second option is theres no guarantee awards will still be available when my miles reappear.

What would make the most sense, would be having the agent grab the new itinerary, then process the refund, have the miles redeposit in real time, then ticket the new itinerary. You know, like practically every other airline on the planet could handlebut not SQ.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Search this Thread